Young Followers of Christ?

by AGuest 78 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Why do we feed Aguests need for attention again?

Well, it was addressed to young people. They are particularly vulnerable, and I felt it would be the responsible thing to offer some counter ideas and points of view. I have a particular problem when young people are targeted. Call my efforts to contribute to this becoming a well-rounded discussion a good deed!

• still thinking
    still thinking

I think the younger we are when we are introduced to the concept...the more we take ownership of the idea. Like it's always been a part of us.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, since I am just passing by- I will join NC in warning young people.

Do not believe anyone who says the Lord speaks to them. Until you get your own revelation/contact with God, assume they are attention whores just faking it.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

as long as we haven't frightened them intoout of using their own brains.

I fixed that for you, Tec.

• tec
    tec

Some people go thier whole lives believing as they did when they were children...sad, but true. yes?

Depends on what they believed, and how that might have grown. Certainly depends upon whether or not they chose something better or even true at all to believe (or not) as adults.

I know it is very popular to say the above, but you have no support for such a statement.

I have my own experience. I have the experience of my own children, one of whom is very sensitive to hypocrisy and injustice. I have the words of child counsellors/psychologists have stated on the matter.

And surely you have heard many a child state 'that's not fair!'

The do as I say and not as I do... is hypocrisy, and for a long time (and even today) some teach their children this way. It IS seen through.

They do not have some magical, built-in BS meter, and can be quite easily misled.

But i did not state this. I said that they were good at spotting hypocrisy and injustice. Indeed, most of the children I have ever known have a strong sense of fair, right/wrong, and justice.

That's why they need to be taught critical thinking skills.

Sure.

I tend to think they have these... and we take it away from them. I mean kids are always asking questions... constantly... to understand and when something doesn't make sense. That is critical thinking right there. They might need to be taught to continue to use and develop this, but I think it is naturally inherent. Children do, however, trust their parents... and when their parents do the opposite of what they teach (hypocrisy and injustice); then it really messes with them.

You must agree that when dealing with an inexperienced person, it is always the right thing to encourage them to seriously consider every viewpoint and critically question all things, but particularly the life-changing things.

To investigate for themselves, absolutely. No one is stating otherwise.

Well, it was addressed to young people.

No. It was about young people. It was addressed to (in the opening line of the OP):

To the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... may you all have peace!

Aguest has never targeted children/minors. In threads that minors have posted on this forum, Shelby has always tread carefully and with respect to their age, and parents. Unlike some other posters on this forum.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

I fixed that for you, Tec.

LOL.. thanks.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I mean kids are always asking questions... constantly... to understand and when something doesn't make sense. That is critical thinking right there.

No, it isn't.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    No one ever said that Jews did not have swords.

Said, outright, perhaps not. Insinuated? Absolutely. Regarding my and others' comments as to the Jews not only having but knowing how to use swords, I quote (you):

Bull. ... I will discuss whether Jews had swords with a tenured professor. ... The OP was a humorous reflection on a troubling scenario. Jesus commanded his followers to turn the other cheek. I doubt Romans would encourage an occupied nation to stockpile swords. Roman occupation was brutal. It does not matter whether the Temple police grabbed him in this discussion. The Romans controlled the Temple police.

Moving on...

I believe the OP and other members besides myself wondered what the hell Peter was doing with a sword when Jesus expressly stated "To turn the other cheek" and "Love your enemy." Jesus' call was radical. It was not qualified.

It started out that way, yes. But then you were so dead set on disagreeing with me (because it was me), that you painted yourself into a corner, leaving to go off (I assume) and consult with your tenured professors. Good attempt to clean that up, though...

There are humorous things in scripture and this episode is one. You focus on such miniscule, baby things.

Yes, you say that now. It was pretty significant when the discussion was active...

Peter's response raise issues about pacifism and even setting boundaries in every day life. The incident raises important questions as to how literally we follow Christ's commands. Imagine the Quakers/Gandhi. You are far from well rounded.

Oooh... you insulted me!! YOU said I am "far from well-rounded." That wasn't NICE. Where are the "Nice" police! Oh, wait... you're right: I am thin. Fluctue between 106-110 lbs. So, no, not much "rounding" to me. I guess you're right, after all. Cancel the alarm.

It is also besides any important point. Of course, Jews had swords.

Oh, you say that NOW... 'cause you couldn't reconcile your Roman Pax assertion. Yikes, THAT's gotta sting!

I have every reason to wonder why the foundation of the Church, who was secondary to James, would disobey Jesus. You, of course, will have first person testimony from some whatcallthat guy.

Peter wasn't the foundation of the Church. Christ... is the foundation cornerstone... and the apostles and prophets, the foundation. Christ is the rock, the Living Stone. FAITH in Christ... as the Son of God... as displayed by Peter whose put faith in that truth NOT because he heard it from man, but because he heard it from the Most Holy One of Israel himself... is what my Lord is building his temple... church... ON.

But wait... since you think I make stuff up, don't take MY word for it - take Paul's, Peter's, and John's:

"They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:3, 4

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ JAHESHUA himself as the foundation cornerstone. In himthe whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in himyou too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. Ephesians 2:19-22

As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion , a chosen and precious cornerstone ,
    and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame.”

Now to you who believe, this stone is precious .

To those who do not believe,

The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone ,”

and ,

A stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” 1 Peter 2:4-8

"The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 thick. The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, t he fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst." Revelation 21:16-20

All one need do is look at the temple built by Solomon to what's being built.

You have to focus on silly things, Shelby, b/c you have no knowledge of matters that college grads routinely know.

Ummmm... a couple of errors here, BOTR. First, it wasn't silly until you painted yourself into the corner. Second, college grads don't routinely know these things. If they did, perhaps YOU would know them. You obviously don't... yet you never seem to tire of telling us that you attended college (NYU and Colombia - yes, I do pay attention). Third, I am a college grad. Spent all my first four years on the Dean's list... and I have a JD. Like you.

I try to focus on big ideas, important concepts.

Yes, I know. Big ideas and important concepts Like the Roman Pax being in such control that there was peace in Jerusalem... and no Jews who knew how to use a sword... at the time in question. Even though the historical record is that the Roman were in Jerusalem due to the LACK of peace there... and Jews absolutely knew how to use swords... so much so that much of their history includes records of their various conquests BY the sword. So MANY conquests... that the prophesy is that they would beat their swords into plowshares... and learn war no more. Interestingly, they didn't learn that until AFTER they were almost wiped out by the Romans. Masala didn't save them.

Most members here do.

Including myself. Now granted, what I and some others may not be "big" ideas or "important" concepts to YOU... but then, the things "you" discuss aren't necessarily all that important... or considered "big" ideas to us. Well, no MORE important... or bigger... than what we discuss.

There is routine good Bible conversation here.

Yes, and this was one of them. I marvel, though, that you even refer to such... and yet, have absolutely NO clue what the Bible itself says. On most things.

Your focus on your fantasy is so childish.

Perhaps. I mean, I have admitted to being childlike. But then, my Lord has said I should be. On the other hand, YOUR focus on ME is more than childish. It's... creepy.

I am certain you can instruct on how big the Temple guard's ear was.

Big enough, apparently, for Peter to be able to get enough of a piece of it so as to cut it off... without taking off the guy's head. Whatever its size, I am sure the guy went away happy that his ear was as big as it was.

Tell us how many sutures were used or did Jesus use Crazy Glue.

No sutures... and Crazy Glue had not yet been invented. Surely, you know that. Then again... a college education can't teach one everything.

You are no sport. Let us have a real contest.

Why don't we find out and see? What did you have in mind?

A slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sure, Moses spent many years in the wilderness... so as to get to know the terrain... but he wasn't serving while he was out there!

LOL. Unless you're seriously unfit you could walk the full length of the 'wilderness' in 40 days. These people weren't stupid, they knew how to navigate, god didn't steal Moses' GPS.

.... and that Noah guy was the biggest bastard ever to set foot on the planet. He could have got rid of every flea, cockroach, mosquito, rat etc. on the planet and what did he do??? He let them all on the friggin boat and left children to die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit