Young Followers of Christ?

by AGuest 78 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

To the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... may you all have peace!

This topic began on another thread of an unrelated topic (see http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/242671/7/Believers-vs-Atheists-Why-this-formulation. In order to try and keep that thread from redirecting further, I am continuing some new thoughts brought up there here. After commenting on posts regarding what a christian is, dear Chariklo commented:

He is absolutely alive and here with us now, rejoicing when we rejoice, weeping when we weep, suffering with those who suffer.

She then posted:

this is something I somehow knew as a small child and I never lost. He comforted me then when things in my, say, five-year-old mind were hard...and I say five because I am thinking of one time when I was so aware of him, and I was five and had just started school...that may sound very trite but actually it was a reality that I just knew.

It is NOT trite, at all, dear Char (peace to you, dear one!). In fact, I've commented here many times that I first time I remember having heard our Lord speak to me when I was 3 years old. Briefly, he told me that a playmate was going to harm me. And she did - she snatch a broken orange juice bottle from my hand, slicing my palm (pretty deep, too!). The WTBTS' position that the "anointed" are old people (well, their former position, apparently, given their new stance on GB members, at least one or two of whom are younger than me!)... was false from the start. JAH and Christ have ALWAYS spoken to, called, and used children. I offer the following, just to name a few:

• Jacob (Israel), chosen before he was born
    • Moses, hidden when a baby, so as to be preserved alive for a future work
    • Samuel, dedicated to the temple when he was 3 and called when he was 5
    • Josiah, anointed as king when he was 8
    • Saul and David, anointed as kings when young men
    • Jeremiah, chosen before he was born, called as JAH's prophet at about age 17
    • Daniel, Hananiah, Azaraih, and Mischa'El (Shadrach, Meschach, and Abedniggo)... all protected and used by JAH as young boys
    • Cyrus, chosen before he was born
    • The young girl who told Naaman about Elijah
    • John the Baptizer, chosen before he was born, sent out at age 26-27
    • Christ himself, chosen before he was born, teaching at the temple at age 12, sent out at age 27
    • Several of the apostles, called before age 30

Christ even told his disciples to NOT stop the young children from coming to him! And as Peter reiterated, the promise is for us... AND OUR CHILDREN (Acts 2:39). Noah wasn't saved alone - his three sons... and their wives... were also saved. Lot's daughters were saved with him. Everyone in Rahab's house was saved... even the children. Where in the WORLD the WTBTS got that whole serving for many years FIRST thing... is beyond me! Well, the world, okay... But NO ONE served many years before being called/used, not even Moses. Sure, Moses spent many years in the wilderness... so as to get to know the terrain... but he wasn't serving while he was out there!

The big puzzle to me is just how I got caught up with those awful JW's; well, I do know, and it wasn't promises of life with pandas! LOL!

The same as for all of us who did, dear one: we are children of [the] Light... attracted to truth and light... and they call themselves "the truth"... and say they have "[new] light." It was almost a given... because we were yet babes. And as long as their heirs are babes, they can be under men in charge (pedagogues)... until the time the Father appointed beforehand... for them to come under and be taught by Him, by means of the One He appointed TO teach us. Some of us had to stay under those men longer than others. Some of us were spared and dodged the entire experience (wink at dear tec!).

That light is also deadly, however. I don't know if you've ever read the analogy our Lord gave us, but it's taken from the movie, "A Bug's Life." In that movie, two bugs are flying, travelling, and they come across a patio in the desert that has a pretty large bug light. It's on... and its "glow" mesmerizing. One bug become hypnotized and starts drifting toward the light. The other shouts, "Louie, Louie! DON'T LOOK AT THE LIGHT!" To which "Louie" sleepily responds, "I can't HELP it - it's so beautiful!" Well, his friend rescues him just as he was about to get zapped! The WTBTS... indeed religion... is just like that bug light, dear one: false lights, masquerading as THE Light (of which there is only One - Christ)... in an effort to draw... and "kill"... the children OF Light. They LOOK like the true light... especially from afar. But up close... they are deadly to us!

Anyway, yes, he is alive and with us. Reach out, and he is there, so much more than an idea, yes, Tec, though an idea too.

YES!!

Wonderful, when you think of it, the Word of God, alive and active in that sense, through whom all things were created, Love in action, and alive and here now.

YES!!! He is alive... and speaks... and exerts power! He is not dead, not just sitting at the Father's right hand, but alive, acting... and working: he is subduing (teaching those who belong to him to pursue love, joy, PEACE, etc...!) while his enemies (Babylon the Great, her lovers - the kings of the earth, the false prophet, Gog, Magog... and death) still exist. Subduing... in the MIDST of his enemies! Until the time as GOD, the MOST Holy One of Israel... places them under his (Christ's) feet (Psalm 110:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 15:25, 26).

How cool is that?

Way cool, girl! WAY cool!

Do not marvel that you heard/knew of our Lord as a very young child. We all did, all of mankind. It's when the "world" talks us out of it, convinces us that such "friend" is imaginary, that some of us lose this reality. Then... we forget. To listen to him, talk to him... and ultimately, all about him. Which is why Christ said we must "turn AROUND"... and become "AS YOUNG CHILDREN." Because the kingdom of the heavens belongs to suchlike ones.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am so glad that you cleared up that misimpression, Shelby. The world can rest better tonight bc of your preaching.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I am so glad that you cleared up that misimpression, Shelby.

I'm glad you're glad, Band.

The world can rest better tonight bc of your preaching.

Well, I dunno about the world... but possibly some young folks (who've been misled to believe they had to be of a certain age in order to be called, used, chosen, etc. by God/Christ)... and maybe even their parents. Maybe a JW elder or two, as well. Maybe even you, girl. If so, glad I could be of service.

A slave of Christ,

SA, who wonders what the response of those tenured professors was when you asked them whether Jews had, knew how to use... and used... swords during the early 1st century. C'mon, girl, don't leave us in the dark - tell us what you found us. The silence is deafening...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Christ even told his disciples to NOT stop the young children from coming to him! And as Peter reiterated, the promise is for us... AND OUR CHILDREN (Acts 2:39). Noah wasn't saved alone - his three sons... and their wives... were also saved. Lot's daughters were saved with him. Everyone in Rahab's house was saved... even the children. Where in the WORLD the WTBTS got that whole serving for many years FIRST thing... is beyond me! Well, the world, okay... But NO ONE served many years before being called/used, not even Moses. Sure, Moses spent many years in the wilderness... so as to get to know the terrain... but he wasn't serving while he was out there!

Regarding Noah: Let's remember the crowds of children, babies, pregnant women, teenagers, animals and men that were mercilessly drowned. If you are a young person, don't mistake this for a story of love and salvation. See it for what it is. A celebration of mass genocide.

Regarding Lot's Daughters: Remember that the Righteous man Lot offered his daughters to a sex crazed crowd of men to 'do with as they pleased.' Imagine your father doing that. But they were saved while all the children in S&G were slaughtered. Not a story of love and salvation if you're one of those children. But they watched their mother's life snuffed out, and something tells me that this righteous man was a pretty screwed up father, because his daughters responded to losing their home, friends, history and mother by getting him drunk and having sex with him. Well, it does sound messed up, but they really never had a chance. This was the father that offered them up to be raped by a crowd of men, so their views on sex were probably pretty screwed up

Regarding Rahab, the prostitute: Yep, she hung a cord, and her household was saved. They must have felt kind of bad about that as they listened the blood curdling screams of the children being slaughtered right outside their door. I don't suppose the children that were spared were ever the same after that. I have to wonder if they remembered it as a message of love and salvation.

So while you are young and your full life and options are laid out before you, ask some critical questions. You are young, so there are many things you may not know. Before you settle, check it all out. Sometimes just changing your point-of-view will shed a lot of light on any story. And before you distress too much about those children that were destoyed, consider that none of it ever even happened.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh, and one more thing. Children are easily misled and manipulated. This is simply because they lack experience, and others know how to use this to their advantage. That's why children need extra protection and why they are often the targets of bad people. So when someone tells you to approach anything as a child would, vulnerable, open to suggestion, inexperienced, trusting to a fault, see it as a red flag and ask why someone would ask you to put aside the wisdom you have already gained in your life, to do things their way. Red Flags. Very powerful warning signs that should not be ignored but investigated!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one ever said that Jews did not have swords. I believe the OP and other members besides myself wondered what the hell Peter was doing with a sword when Jesus expressly stated "To turn the other cheek" and "Love your enemy." Jesus' call was radical. It was not qualified. There are humorous things in scripture and this episode is one. You focus on such miniscule, baby things. Peter's response raise issues about pacifism and even setting boundaries in every day life. The incident raises important questions as to how literally we follow Christ's commands. Imagine the Quakers/Gandhi. You are far from well rounded.

It is also besides any important point. Of course, Jews had swords. I have every reason to wonder why the foundation of the Church, who was secondary to James, would disobey Jesus. You, of course, will have first person testimony from some whatcallthat guy.

You have to focus on silly things, Shelby, b/c you have no knowledge of matters that college grads routinely know.

I try to focus on big ideas, important concepts. Most members here do. There is routine good Bible conversation here. Your focus on your fantasy is so childish. I am certain you can instruct on how big the Temple guard's ear was. Tell us how many sutures were used or did Jesus use Crazy Glue.

You are no sport. Let us have a real contest.

• perfect1
    perfect1

NC lit this one up.

I would add: Abraham and Isaac- its never too early for your dear Dad to hear divine voices telling him to offer you as a human sacrifice to his God, first you will just be out for a hike but you will get suspicious when he ties you up and starts piling firewood, and pulls out his machete.

Kids, watch out!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wonder how the story of Abraham's willigness to sacrifice Issac affected countless generations of small children. It is a horrific act. God is amoral and so was Abraham. God rewards Abraham for his complete lack of morality and lack of willingness to think about the future as a good steward. It is chilling.

The WT proclaimed that Abraham was godly. Yet I recall the nigthmares from the illustrations in the orange books, Paradise Lost, written for children of the sacrifice of Issac and the animal pagan god accepted infants as sacrifices. Oh, what a nice religious tradition.

Next, God Incarnate or his Michael son must be crucified.

How is Abraham any different from the Aztecs who sacrified to their gods?

My first response to above was to laugh hard. I believe the hard laugh was to cover up the terror of these stories. We read them as though they were great and wondrous works of a god more moral than any human.

Groovy Jesus may not be authentic but I prefer groovy Jesus to the actual descriptions in scripture. So many worship God in the western tradition and would never countenance God's behavior in their own life. We form societies and pass laws against god type actions.

• cofty
    cofty

Listen to your aunt New Chapter, those are wise words ;)

Also when somebody uses flattery to try to get you to believe stuff don't listen to them. If they say you can know things that other people don't know if you only have "eyes to see" or "ears to hear" or some similar line designed to appeal to your ego don't fall for that either.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I agree New Chapter and Cofty...children should be protected from people selling their flavour of god. They are very vulnerable to others manipulation.

I'm sure Aguest would agree, yes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit