Young Followers of Christ?

by AGuest 78 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Seriously, why are we feeding Shelby again?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have my own experience. I have the experience of my own children, one of whom is very sensitive to hypocrisy and injustice. I have the words of child counsellors/psychologists have stated on the matter.

And surely you have heard many a child state 'that's not fair!'

Sure, but they are also easily misled. We can't hope that they instinctively pick up on anything. Yes, they have a sense of fairness, but this world is proof that if you fill their young brains with stories about non-existent, invisible beings, they will cling to those too.

I remember being tricked as a child by smiles and nice words. Then my mother would tell me the truth of the matter and provide evidence. And if they are being led by those that are already misled, then they won't sense hypocrisy, now will they?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I tend to think they have these... and we take it away from them.

I don't. It's a skill that parents need to teach. Yes, they are naturally curious, and they ask a lot of questions, but a parent needs to teach them how to ask more effective questions and to rip apart the answers. Afterall, tell a child that the stars are campfires in the sky, and their question is answered. Teach them to rip apart that answer, and then the question will really be answered.

Children believe in Santa. We all agree that Santa doesn't exist (or maybe I should not assume that here). Yet it's the easiest thing in the world to get a child to believe that. It will be followed with many questions: he lives at the North Pole, Elves help him make toys, flying reindeers pull his sled, he comes down the chimney.

It's all bullshit, but children accept all the answers to all those questions.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

NC.... bingo.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I agree New Chapter and Cofty...children should be protected from people selling their flavour of god. They are very vulnerable to others manipulation. I'm sure Aguest would agree, yes?

Absolutely, Still. From people selling THEIR flavor. From God Himself... no protection IS needed. Adults are the true boogeymen.

Incredible 3-year-olds.

Indeed, Jer. Most of us were, if not all of us. It's "older" folks who say different. And they're SO wise, the older folks. Just look at what THEY do in the world.

of them top what was accomplished by a JWN poster at 3-years-old

If you're speaking of me... you're in error because I didn't accomplish much. I was 3 and raised by very frightened parents (descendants of slaves, born and raised in the cotton country of Virginia) during late 50's/early 60's. Anything that LOOKED like an "accomplishment" was stifled due to fear of being thought "uppity." So whatever someone like me would have TRIED to accomplish was quickly discouraged. I don't resent it, though, because I understand it. Volatile, even dangerous times...

I wasnt allowed to doubt when I was a kid, or even as a teenager.

Sorry for that and peace to you, dear RoosterMan! Hazards of being raised by JW parents. Different hazards being raised by parents whose parents were cotton and tobacco sharecroppers. My ancestors started a church so belief was encouraged; however, I was raised by my father, the son of a Baptist minister (who abhorred religion as a result), so... I got a taste of both "worlds." Belief, disbelief, religion, no religion wasn't a major part of my parents involvement in my childhood. Concern about keeping me from getting lynched due to my outspokeness was.

And I'm not exaggerating - my parents were from a place where such occurred. Which is why they jumped at the chance to move to California. Cali had its issues back then, too, though (hence, Watts riots)... and so the fear they thought they could leave came with them.

I have been not even opening her threads after she said she was just passing by JWN, then decided to stay.

And so you've changed your mind? Dang. Thought I had one less usual suspect to deal with. If only that dream had come true...

I open this one and find such an incredible story of how God (or the Lord or whoever) could warn her of injury, yet the information was no good- she still was injured. Cruel God.

Ah, yes, well, I've posted that account before and so didn't so here again. As I shared then, he warned me... and I didn't listen. I didn't believe the little girl was mean. She was, though, and so, I got cut.

I can go back to not even opening her threads

Oh, WOULD you? Please?

If you and others join me, it will take the winds out of her sails.

Never gonna happen. Just like you... they cannot do it. They CANNOT stay away. CAN... NOT.

Goodbye AGuest.

Until next time, Jer.

A slave of Christ,

SA, wondering where the last two suspects are. I mean, since the rest of the gang is here why not make it a full house... Come out, come out, wherever you are. Let's get this thing going so's I can be done with it sooner...

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

From Tec's link

Critical thinking then, is the attempt to ask and answer questions systematically. This means asking the most useful questions in the most productive sequence in order to yield a coherent and credible „story?

This is not what children do

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

This is not what children do

Not at all.

• tec
    tec

I did say that they had to continue to develop the skill, Beks.

But children ask questions to get to the truth of the matter. That is critical thinking. Perhaps just not fully developed. Because they're... well... children ;)

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My dad used to be able to swallow a ball whole. My uncle could take out his eyeball and stuff it in his mouth. I would see it rolling around inside his cheek. My mom could take her finger off and put it back on.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I suggest you look up "Pax Romana" on wikipedia. It is not a great reference but it is free and easily available.

Shelby, you have to start learning some facts.

Does everyone just want to keep writing these posts and contributing to these idiotic threads? We, the members with sober sanity, who are deliberately provoked by Shelby, should refuse to add fuel to the fire. She is an attention whore. Cut off the attention and she might turn out to have rational thought someplace in her head. She is either ill or just nasty. What are we by adding to the situation. I believe we are better and should hold ourselves to higher standard.

We could agree to not respond to her taunts (and there is no doubt that they are taunts.) by a certain date. There is a gross entertainment value. Do we feel that we are superior by answering her drivel? I feel degraded.

She will never change. Yes, there is the argument that newcomers will read her threads and believe her thoughts and attitude are the apostate answer. I don't think she posts for her admirers, her possee. She can not live without our contempt and the games we play with her.

Pls consider withdrawing your support. I will strive to start threads about rational things. My passions are many. These discussions are garbage, IMO. I deserve better. This forum deserves better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit