Looking After Widows and Orphans... and Spending One's "Riches"

by AGuest 136 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ARBOLES:

I just love how you made me laugh with your very accurate description of what I am talking about! I am glad you understand.

You are also very correct about tier-one and tier-two christians and how the ones in the first category wouldn't be seen dead assisting any of the unfortunate types you so colorfully described. Hell no! That was work for Tier-two doormat sisters who didn't know how to say No.

Even though I was friendly with some doormat sisters, I never wanted to sit with them at an assembly because all the USERS would find them and inflict some problem on them. It would positively disturb my peace or my lunch and I would get up and move away. As I said, I am no Florence Nightingale, and was not THERE to be bothered by anybody. If you hung around with a doormat sister, the USERS would think you were there to help her!!! So, naturally, I made myself scarce. I wasn't having any of this garbage.

Don't worry about me being fooled by any "class" of people no matter what their income bracket. I judge people on a case by case basis. But, as far as the JWs are concerned, I don't want to be anywhere near them.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    You missed my point.

Perhaps, but I can admit that.

I said that when we became agricutural, when we organized into city/states, when we stratified our society, amazingly our gods did the same.

Oh, sorry, I didn't get that that's what you stated. But, okay. I agree. Well, as to some gods. False gods... yes. They did.

You won't find those kinds of gods among people living outside that culture.

Not those kinds, no.

That is because we create the gods that we relate to and that support our society. Gods are constructs. Understand now?

That is because most men (humans) create gods, yes, that relate to and support their society, yes. And such gods are constructs, yes. I understand. However, NOT the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies, the only TRUE God, no. Understand... now?

In this sense, I find Paganism at least more honest. Gods that relate to a specific culture and the cycles of their own seasons.

I, too, find paganism more honest than the god idols of most religions. I mean, they (pagans) look to nature and the earth. And this make the MOST sense to me, as that which appeals to the FLESH. None of the others do. But that is because they purport to appeal to the SPIRIT. They don't, though, in all honesty. To the contrary, they confuse the spirit... and as well as the flesh.

The tragedy of this middle eastern, bronze-aged god, and the writings, is they grew to large.

For those who sought... mmmmm... "understanding" outside of the One appointed to give it, yes. Such ones only opened themselves up to "every wind of teaching." And so you have the result: a plethora of gods... and doctrines... and philosophies... and teachings... and interpretations... and "understandings"... and... "knowledge." Including no knowledge.

They sought to suppress cultures that could not relate to this brutal, foreign culture to play by rules that were never developed for very different people. It was more local than that.

See, now here is where your... theory... gets lost: those that came in to SUPPRESS... actually ended up adopting. And there was no forcing, no brutality... to start with. True, some came in later and used such to not only suppress but brutalize. But this was because the "tool" was easy to exploit. Because it wasn't brutal itself.

Even so, considering the vast differences in these gods, and how well they fit the culture that originaly created them, it is very clear that these gods were created and there is no such thing as a 'false' god just as there is no such thing as a 'true' god.

I agree as to the created gods. They ARE false, however. Indeed, it is said of them:

"They have mouths, but cannot speak,
    eyes, but cannot see.
    They have ears, but cannot hear,
    noses, but cannot smell.
    They have hands, but cannot feel,
    feet, but cannot walk,
    nor can they utter a sound with their throats."

And yet, people still demonstrate the full spectrum of human behavior both good and bad.

Yes.

There is no law written on their hearts.

Exactly.

Only choices, rewards, consequences and potential.

I agree. We just disagree on what the choices, rewards, consequence, and potential are...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "I, too, find paganism more honest than the god idols of most religions. I mean, they (pagans) look to nature and the earth. ..." AGUest, page 5

Oh, the ignorance... f

"A Few Pagan Paths

There are many varieties of Paganism- Here are a few of the predominant beliefs that fall under the umbrella. As stated earlier, because Pagans tend to be individualistic and often develop their own ideas regarding spiritual matters, these are very broad definitions, and are certain to have as many exceptions as adherents. I am also including a few brief words on other groups, like Satanists and goths, that some people seem to be confused about.

WICCA
    Wicca is one of the most popular and visable forms of Paganism. Wiccans believe in a God and Goddess, often associated with the sun and moon, respectively. All other gods and goddesses, regardless of origin, are believed to be, in fact, these two- who assume whatever form is best suited to a particular person or society. Nature, fertility, and the cycles of moon and sun are some of the more important themes. Wiccans generally practice magic and refer to themselves (both genders) as witches, and an organized group is called a coven.

Based on ancient concepts, the Wiccan religion as a cohesive system was founded in the late 1940s by Gerald Gardner. Although Gardner claimed to be revealing a family knowledge handed down over thousands of years, he is widely accepted to have created the Wiccan religion himself in the mid 20th century. It is indisputable, however, that many of the sources he pulled from predate Christianity by a wide margin, and some bear remarkable similarities to one another. These include influences as varied as ancient Greek philosophy, Chinese mysticism, Native American beliefs, and the relics of prechristian Europe.

On a side note, it is worth mentioning that the terms Witch and Wiccan are not completely interchangable. Wiccan refers to someone who follows the religion of Wicca, while a Witch is simply one who does magick. Therefore, most Wiccans are Witches, but many Witches are not Wiccan. Now, onto which Witch is which...

-Gardnerian:
    Those who most closely follow the teachings of Gerald Gardner. Ones lineage, or the teacher of their teacher and so on back to Gardner, is considered important because of his model of passing down the religion through generations.

-Alexandrian:
    Originating with Alex Sanders, a disciple of Garnder, this tradition places emphasis on tradition and the initiatory and ranking procedures. (These are intrinsic to the concept of a "mystery tradition": where knowledge is measured out levels so that the student can be prepared for each successive revelation).

-Dianic:
    A female-centric tradition that places emphasis on the Goddess, fertility, and the female creative force. The male aspect of divinity is less emphisized, and in some cases discarded completely. It is perhaps no surprise that Dianic Wicca has a large lesbian population, but this is not considered as a prerequisite. Equally unsurprising, there are very few male Witches who identify as Dianics.

-Strega:
    This is a form of European Witchcraft that seems to owe as much to Greek and Itallian traditions than to Gardner. Strega originates with the publication of Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches in 1899.

-Solitary:
    Wicca allows for self-initiation and instruction through reading without the need for a mentor. Those Wiccans not involved in a coven or established tradition are usually reffered to as solitaries. Because solitaries are self-taught, their specific variants to belief and practices of Wicca vary widely between individuals. Solitaries are believed to account for the largest percentage of Wiccans.

-Ecclectic:
    Another catch-all term, ecclectic refers to the large number of Wiccans who have incorporated a wider variety of tradition or symbology into their belief systems. For some, this merely means using specific disciplines such as yoga or rune casting, while others may surround the core Wiccan beliefs with the asthetics and trappings of a particular culture or other religion. Because the God and Goddess may manifest as any number of forms, it is just as reasonable within the context of the religion to worship them as Isis and Ra, Apollo and Diana, or the Morrighan and Lugh, while choosing a matching aesthetic. Some ecclectics pull from enough sources to blur the line between Wicca and New Age.

-Christian Wicca
    This emerging subset is actually not as bizzare as it sounds. The incompatability between Christianity and Paganism is a one way street- While Paganism is incompatable from a Christian perspective, the opposite does not hold true. Wiccans, as previously stated, belive in a God and a Goddess- They believe that The God called himself Ra in Egypt, Zeus in Greece, and Yahweh in Israel, along with hundreds of other names. From that standpoint, it is perfectly acceptable to incorporate the teachings of virtually any culture into one's Wiccan practice.

RECONSTRUCTIONISM

The basic concept of the reconstructionist religions centers around recreating the beliefs and rituals of one's ancestors. In many cases, the exact traditions have been long lost, and so the religion is subject to change and develop as new archeological knowledge is gained. Rituals are sometimes performed in their original language, and a special affinity tends to be held towards scholarship in the fields of archeology, anthropology, languages, and history. While some reconstructionist groups are anachronistic, others are dedicated to adapting the spirit of the old ways to the realities of modern living.

Most reconstructionist religions worship an entire pantheon of deities, but it is common to find followers who have singled out one or two of them with whom they feel a special connection. In this case, those particular deities are usually referred to as one's Matron (female) and / or Patron (male) deities.

Because of the strong ethnic connotations involved in reconstructionist religions, some have unfortunately become attractive to white separatists and other hate groups. Although they are a distinct minority whose principals are strongly opposed by the rest of the Pagan community, they count among themselves a large number of Asatru and a handful of celtic recons. Critics have pointed out that the attraction seems to stem less from a true belief in Paganism than from a desire to seek out a "white peoples' religion", and the Pagan community has responded by creating a number of groups and campaigns dedicated to tolerance, diversity, and interfaith efforts.

A few specific forms of reconstructionism include:

-Druidism:
    Based on ancient celtic traditions of Ireland and Scotland. Much of Wicca is also drawn from this source. An organized group is sometimes called a Grove. The largest national organizations are Ar nDraiocht Fein, or the ADF, and OBOD, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids.

-Asatru:
    Worship of the ancient Norse gods. Groups are sometimes called Kindreds, and followers generally prefer they be called "Heathen" rather than "Pagan". Many Asatrur forego formal ritual worship in favor of feasting and revelry, as the Vikings are believed to have done.

Asatru morals are based on the Nine Noble Virtues- Truth, honor, industriusness, hospitality, perseverence, courage, fidelity, discipline, and self-reliance

-Kemetism:
    Based on the beliefs of ancient Egypt. This is an example of a monotheistic religion that believes one god takes many different forms, with a different aspect for each duty. A special attention is paid to death as a transitionatory phase rather than an end point.

-Religio Romana:
    Based on ancient Roman deities and practices.

-Hellenism
    A recreation of the ancient Greek practices. Hellenic and Roman reconstructionists have some of the most accurate and comprehensive historical materials to pull from.

SATANISM

Most Pagans do not recognize any relation to Satanism, but because some Satanists do consider themselves Pagan, and because there is a great deal of propaganda trying to lump us together, I will briefly go into this.

It's just my opinion, but I tend to see three basic types of Satanists:

-Theistic Satanists: Believe in Satan as an actual deity. They either believe that A) he is a god stolen by the Christians, possibly Assyrian or Babylonian, B) Satan is actually a positive force who was grossly misrepresented in the Bible, or C) He is in fact exactly as represented in the bible, and that by providing the darkness that allows the light to be seen, they are actually doing God's will, much as a defense lawer serves the justice system by representing the guilty. None of these are Pagan viewpoints- they are in fact, variants of Christianity.

-What I like to call the Crowley Satanists: They are usually athiests, but believe in magic, and call themselves Satanists for two reasons: Firstly, they believe in indulgence, pride, sexual freedom, and all those sorts of things that Christianity says are evil, so they pick an opposite symbol. Second, it pisses people off, and they enjoy messing with fundamentallists.

-Psycho Nutcases: These are the kids who sacrifice puppies and think evil is cool. Even the other types of Satanists want nothing to do with them. It's not a religion, people- it's a mental illness.

Anton LaVey's Church of Satan, the largest Satanic organization in the US, seems to waver between the first two types- while they insist atheism and merely to use the devil as a symbol, they routinely treat him as an actual diety.

SHAMANISM

Shamanism has a number of conflicting definitions. Strictly speaking, Shaman is a title applied (depending on your source) either to a medicine man, (the clergy of the Native American religions), or a specific type of aboriginal clergy originating in ancient Siberia. Recently the title has been adopted by several followers of similar religions and by new agers, especially those who follow a Native American belief system. It is worth noting that many true Native Americans who still follow thier ancient traditions do not identify as either Pagan or use the word Shaman.

Alternately, the definition becoming more predominant applies to any priest of nature or practicioner of earth-based magic who places a special emphasis on communing with the spirit world. In this context, the Shaman emphisises otherworldly experiences such as astral travel, lucid dreaming, vision questing, and contact with spirit guides or guardians.

VOODUN

Voodun, or Voodoo, is a Haitian religion centered around animism (the belief that all things have spirits) and a connection with the spirit world. Priests and Priestesses, or voodunistas, practice a great deal of magic, much centered around otherworldly beings known as the loa.

SANTARIA

Santaria, or Worship of the Saints, is a belief system similar to Voodun with more elements of Catholocism as well as a strong influence by South American traditions.

There is a certain danger in lumping Voodun and Santaria together in that there are racial stereotypes and a strong ethnic connection to each. Voodun is primarilly practiced among Afro-carribean peoples and their decendants, while followers of Santaria are nearly exclusively hispanic. While many see similarities, most practicioners of Voodun or Santaria would not self-identify as Pagan.

NEW AGE

The concept of New Age has been described with "The light is brightest where all paths meet." The New Age is beyond simply eclectic, and borrows from a variety of sources, primarily Wicca, Kemetism, Catholicism, Reiki, and the far eastern and Native American philosophies. Herbs (especially herbal medicines, foods, and personal care products), crystals, tarot and meditation are common tools. Common symbols include angels, rainbows, and appropriated Asian and Native American imagery. Emphasis is placed on personal growth and healing.

A lot of Pagans tend to think of New Age sort of like fast food- it might taste pretty good, but there's really nothing substantial inside. Many have a love/hate relationship with New Agers- characterising them as "flaky" or "dabblers", based on the principal that you can't simply throw random ingredients in the oven and expect to get cake. Still, we think they tend to have the best bookstores.

GOTH

Goth is not a religion. It is a fashion sense named after a musical style, like "hip hop", "punk", or "country". While there are some goths that follow a Pagan religion, there are an equal or greater number that follow a Judeo-Christian system. Mainstream media tends to lump gothic culture in with Pagans or Satanists because we all tend to wear a lot of black, and because of that whole people-who-are-not-like-us-so-they-must-be-like-each-other idiocy.

CEREMONIAL MAGICK

Ceremonial magick is at it's core, a study of the Kaballah- a form of Jewish mysticism. In it's common form, it also pulls from alchemy, the writings of such people as Alester Crowley and John Dee, and the practices of the Masons and other "secret" orders.

Because of the source, and because many of the writers who influenced the tradition hailed from a predominantly Christian culture, the imagery in most ceremonial magick tends to be Judeo-Christian. Despite the imagery used, ceremonial magick is not path specific, and ceremonial magicians may identify as Pagan, Christian, or nearly any other faith.

Ceremonial Magick places a strong emphasis on symbology and ritual. Many rituals involve complex processes of gestures, tools, and secondary languages, each with thier own specific symbolism. Because discipline and scholorship can be considered acts of devotion in and of themselves, for some ceremonialists, every single detail of a ritual becomes important, down to the length of a wand or the color of a robe.

Ceremonial magick is the foundation of groups like the OTO, and is practiced in a lesser extent (whether they choose to admit it or not) by the Masons and the Catholic Church, something that many Pagans find unbelievably amusing."

• ziddina
    ziddina

And still more information that conflicts with AGuest's erroneous assertion...

From: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?19589-Varieties-of-Pagan-Theology

“Pagan” is an umbrella term, encompassing religions so diverse as Wicca (neopagan witchcraft) on the one hand and (Norse reconstructionism) on the other. Usually the requirement for paganism is earth-based, nature-based spirituality or belief in more than one deity or both of these, but even so, there are pagans who meet neither criterion, so the best definition is still: one who is outside the Abrahamic three and self-identifies as a pagan.

Pagan theology is also diverse. A pagan may not like the point of view held by another pagan, but there is no such thing as heresy in paganism. Theology in paganism runs on a continuum from hard polytheism to monotheism and atheism. Here are the main varieties of pagan theology:

1. Hard polytheism. This is the view that there are many deities, and all are distinct and unique, and they are not aspects of a larger, overarching Divinity. This view is most often held by reconstructionist pagans (Ásatrú, Hellenismos, Religio Romana, Neocelts etc).

2. Soft polytheism. This is the view that there are many deities, all distinct, but that they are aspects or frequencies or spectral colours of one overarching Divinity. Effectively, it’s a combination of polytheism with pantheism. This view is held mostly by independent, unlabelled pagans, including yours truly. It is also the teaching of Hindu sources such as the Upanishads, and of the Vodun religion of West Africa.

3. Duotheism. This is a souped-up case of soft polytheism: there are two deities, one male (the God) and one female (the Goddess), and all individual deities are aspects of those two. Effectively, “all Gods are one God, all Goddesses one Goddess”. This view is the standard theology of the Wiccan religion.

4. Monotheism. This view in paganism usually means the view of the Great Mother Goddess alone existing. It is held mostly by radical feminist pagans. Male deities are not admitted, nor, usually, male members into the coven.

5. Archetypalism or Metaphorism. This is the view of the Gods and Goddesses not as real, literal entities, but as Jungian archetypes or symbolic metaphors born in the mind of man. This view is atheism-compatible and is common among those who love pagan lore and symbolism but cannot bring themselves to believe the deities are actually real.

Those views should not be confused with henotheism, which, more than a theology, is a practice: the practice of worshipping one deity while still believing in the others. Henotheism has always been popular among polytheists because of the need to focus all energies and devotions upon one deity. It is when the existence of other deities is denied that henotheism becomes monotheism.

• ziddina
    ziddina

And more information that counters AGuest's erroneous statement...

From: http://www.religionfacts.com/neopaganism/paths/asatru.htm

Ásatrú (Icelandic, "Æsir faith") is a modern revival of the pre- Christian Nordic religion as described in the Norse epic Eddas.

Terminology

Ásatrú is an Old Norse word consisting of Ása, referring to the Norse gods, and trú, "troth" or "faith". Thus, Ásatrú means "religion of the Æsir." The term was coined by Edvard Grieg in his 1870 opera Olaf Trygvason, in the context of 19th century romantic nationalism.

Generally synonymous terms for Asatru include Germanic Neopaganism, Germanic Heathenism, Forn Sed, Odinism, Heithni or Heathenry.

The original, ancient form of Norse religion is usually referred to as Germanic paganism, Germanic religion, or Norse mythology.

History

The ancient origins of Germanic religion date from prehistoric times and are thus unknown. Most of what is known about Germanic religion is derived from descriptions by Latin writers such as Julius Caesar (1st cent. BC) and Tacitus (1st cent. AD), descriptions of early Christian missionaries, and archaeological evidence including cult objects, amulets, grave goods, and place names.

Anglo-Saxon England was converted from Norse paganism to Christianity in the 7th century, Scandinavia in the 10th century. The Germanic/Norse religion gradually disappeared after this, although Christianity absorbed some of its external features, such as the name and popular customs of Easter.

Asatru, the modern attempt to revive the old Norse faith, was founded by the Icelandic farmer Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson (1924–1993). Beinteinsson was a sheep farmer and a priest in the religion, who published a book of rímur (Icelandic rhymed epic poetry) in 1945. In 1972 he petitioned the Icelandic government to recognize the Íslenska Ásatrúarfélagið ("Icelandic fellowship of Æsir faith") as a religious body. It did so in 1973, and Denmark and Norway have since followed.

According to one Asatru website, similar communities were formed in the USA and UK at the same time as those in Iceland, each unaware of the existence of the others. This is a sign that "Odin, the wanderer, is once again seeking worshippers." (Irminsul Ættir)

Today, there are small groups of Asatru adherents throughout Scandinavia and North America. According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, in the 1990s the approximately 300 Icelandic adherents hoped to dechristianize Iceland by the year 2000, the 1000th anniversary of the island's christianization.

Texts

Neither ancient Norse religion nor modern Asatru is predominantly text-based, but Norse myths are beautifully preserved in two Icelandic epics called the Eddas.

The first Edda dates from the 12th century AD, when Snorri Sturluson (1179-1241), an Icelandic poet, historian and politician, retold many Norse myths with quotations from poems and explanations of mythological imagery. His goal was to provide a handbook for poets so the ancient lore would not be lost. It was called Edda, which means "great-grandmother" but may also be derived from Oddi, Sturluson's hometown. It is now known as Snorri's Edda or the Prose Edda.

In 1643, a 13th-cent. manuscript book known as the Codex regius was found in an Icelandic farmhous, containing poems on gods and heroes. This collection, together with a few poems from other manuscripts, is called the Elder Edda, Poetic Edda, or Saemund's Edda (after an 11th-cent. scholar). The poems may date from as early as 800 AD and appear to have been composed in pre-Christian times in Norway. They recount the exploits of the gods Freyr, Loki, Odin, and Thor and include riddle contests between gods and giants, and much about the creation and destruction of the worlds of gods and humans.

Beliefs

Ancient Norse paganism and modern Asatru are polytheistic. In the Viking Age (9th-11th cents.), there were four main deities (see below), with earlier gods remembered as minor deities and other supernatural beings of varying importance. Most of these gods are worshipped by modern followers of Asatru.

The Norse gods are of three different types:

• Aesir - the gods of the tribe or clan, representing kingship, order, craft, etc. (incl. Odin and Thor)
    • Vanir - gods of the fertility of the earth and forces of nature (incl. Freyr and Freyja)
    • Jotnar - giant-gods who are in a constant state of war with the Aesir, representing chaos and destruction

The four main deities in Germanic religion and Asatru are:

• Odin (Germanic Woden) - god of magic, poetry, riches and the dead; ruler of Valhalla (gave his name to Wednesday)
    • Thor - sky god who wields a hammer, controls the weather, and protects the law and the community (gave his name to Thursday)
    • Freyr - fertility god represented with a phallic statue and seen as the founder of the Swedish royal dynasty
    • Freyja - fertility goddess of love and beauty, sister of Freyr, known by many names (including Frigg, Odin's wife and patron of families, who gave her name to Friday)

Other deities:

• Njord - father of Freyr and Freyja, god of ships, sea and lakes
    • Tyr (Germanic Tiu) - god of battle, sacrifice, and justice (gave his name to Tuesday)
    • Ullr - god of death, winter, and hunting
    • Loki - the trickster

The original Germanic religion did not have a unified conception of the afterlife. Some may have believed that fallen warriors would go to Valhalla to live happily with Odin until the Ragnarök, but it seems unlikely this belief was widespread. Others seemed to believe that there was no afterlife. According to the "Hávamál," any misfortune was better than to be burnt on a funeral pyre, for a corpse was a useless object.

More often people believed that life went on for a time after death but was inseparable from the body. If men had been evil in life, they could persecute the living when dead; they might have to be killed a second time or even a third before they were finished. Some records imply that the dead needed company; a wife, mistress, or servant would be placed in the grave with them. On the whole, beliefs in afterlife seem rather gloomy. The dead pass, perhaps by slow stages, to a dark, misty world called Niflheim (Niflheimr).

Modern Asatru beliefs about the afterlife also vary. One Asatru website states:

We believe that there is an afterlife, and that those who have lived virtuous lives will go on to experience greater fulfillment, pleasure, and challenge. Those who have led lives characterized more by vice than by virtue will be separated from kin, doomed to an existence of dullness and gloom. The precise nature of the afterlife - what it will look like and feel like - is beyond our understanding and is dealt with symbolically in the myths. There is also a tradition in Asatru of rebirth within the family line. Perhaps the individual is able to choose whether or not he or she is re-manifested in this world, or there may be natural laws which govern this. In a sense, of course, we all live on in our descendants quite apart from an afterlife as such. To be honest, we of Asatru do not overly concern ourselves with the next world. We live here and now, in this existence. If we do this and do it well, the next life will take care of itself.

Practices

Old Norse/Germanic Religion

In the old Germanic religion, the central practice was animal and human sacrifice, conducted in the open or in groves and forests. Roman authors repeatedly mention the sacrifice of prisoners of war to the gods of victory.

One detailed description of a sacrificial feast is given in a saga about a king of Norway, in which cattle were slaughtered, blood was sprinkled inside and out, the meat was consumed and toasts were drunk to Odin, Njörd, and Freyr. Sacrifices of a more private kind might include the sacrifice of an ox to a god or smearing an elf mound with bull's blood.

Women known as Volva had prophetic gifts. They visited homes, practiced divination and foretold children's destinies. They were probably linked with the Vanir (fertility deities).

Temples were rare but wooden temples seem to have been built in later periods. A major religious center was at Upsala, in NE Sweden.

Asatru (Modern Neopaganism)

Communities of Asatru are called Kindreds, Hearths, or Garths. Priests are called Gothi; priestesses Gythia.

A central Asatru ritual is blot, which means sacrifice and may be connected with the word "blood." In place of traditional animal sacrifice, followers of Asatru offer mead (honey-wine), beer or cider to the gods. The liquid is consecrated to a god or goddess, then the worshippers drink a portion of it and pour the rest as a libation.

Another major practice is sumbel, a ritual toast in three rounds. The first round is to the gods, starting with Odin, who won the mead of poetry from the Giant Suttung. A few drops are poured to Loki to ward off his tricks. The second round is to ancestors and other honorable dead, and the third round is open.

Asatru holidays center on the seasons and are similar to other Neopagan holidays. The major celebrations are:

• Summer Finding (spring equinox, March 21) - dedicated to Ostara
    • Winter Finding (fall equinox, September 21)
    • Midsummer (summer solstice, June 21)
    • Yule - the most important holiday; starts on the winter solstice (December 21) and lasts for 12 days

In place of a list of commandments, followers of Asatru try to follow these "Nine Noble Virtues":

1. Courage
    2. Truth
    3. Honor
    4. Fidelity
    5. Discipline
    6. Hospitality
    7. Industriousness
    8. Self-Reliance
    9. Perseverance
  • perfect1
    perfect1

Yes, Ziddina!!!

now that I see where tec gets her yall and peace to you from, I am a little creeped out.

• ziddina
    ziddina

You think YOU'RE "creeped out"...

I've been watching that sugary-sweet facade for the whole 3 years that I've been on this board...

• perfect1
    perfect1

goodbye thread.

• tec
    tec

I say 'yall' because its fun, and y'all are (mostly) american, and I adopted it from y'all. I serve americans at my restaurant as well, and they speak like that too. Its fun, it gets stuck in my head. I used it at work one day with my co-workers, and everyone had a good laugh... because its American, and everyone knows it. So it was funny. (Canadian here) That is really creepy though, I know. Adopting phrases and speech mannerisms from people you spend a lot of time with is REALLY creepy. No one who is NOT creepy does it. Not at all.

I say peace because our Lord asked us to, and because He did it. (believe it or not, some people say it to me in the form of the 'peace' sign... and yeah, I consider that pretty creepy too. I mean, there are lots of posters on this forum who will say Shalom and such, but when I do it... its creepy.) I also don't do it in the same way as Aguest. She does it right. Greet with a wish of peace. I mostly avoid doing that - or correcting to that - simply because of the even FURTHER accusations that I would get from... wait for it... Y'ALL.

Seriously.

But still... peace to you both,

tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

My apologies, dear Zid (peace to you!). I should have said "look to the physical realm," because that includes the earth... as well as the sun, moon, planets, stars, etc. I realize that today the word "pagan" covers just about anything and anyone that isn't "christian," but I didn't mean it in that sense, at all. I wasn't referring to heathenism... or neopaganism, per se... but paganism, as the Latin root word paganus suggests: folks [usually from more rural areas] whose gods/deities are closely related to nature and the earth. Hopefully, that clarifies enough so you won't have to post the entire world library of information on the matter. I will try to be more specific next time. Actually, no, I won't - I'm only gonna chase down info so far. I mean, since I'm trying to keep it real. If you need me to, just ask and I will clarify. That way, we can save board space.

Dear, dear tec... peace to you, dear one... and please remember that while it's okay for other folks to pick up others' language quirks and similarities (for instance, all things "Thor"... which nobody mentioned until a bit ago but now include in most threads where the Norse High Priest EE presides... anything related to alcohol... and the sundry assortment of sexual innuendo) it is not okay for you or anyone who knows me. When THEY do it, it's understandable and excusable, of course. Even hilariously humorous (and I have to agree, the innuendos can be quite mirthful).

When you do it, though, dear one, means you're unable to formulate an original thought all on your own and provides those who have the (self-appointed) task of surveilling your words proof of your indoctrination and complete immersion into the "Cult of AGuest." Please, then, discard your use of the term "ya'll" and return to the more proper vernacular of "you all" or just "you."

Or... and this would be my advice... don't... and just continue to ignore those who have nothing better to do with their time than to police your wording and phraseology (while often whining and moaning about people trying to correct them... or their friends, you might note). That would be my choice, of course, because I couldn't care less what certain folks think... about me or whatever words I use... or where I get them and from whom... but as I am not your leader, you will have to decide how to proceed on this matter all by yourself. Of course, there are some who believe you can't handle that task alone. I say, give them the two-fingered salu... nevermind. You'll work it out, I'm sure.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit