Jehovah's Witnesses dismayed by new magazine format from Watchtower Society.

by Balaamsass 97 Replies latest jw friends

• secondary priorities
    secondary priorities

wow, interesting. i haven't seen one yet, but i agree with the user who said it seems like everything is getting watered down/simplified.

i'm only 28, but i remember the district assemblies being much longer, the lunches shorter, the 3 weekly meetings, etc. i was quite surprised when i was still in to see everything dramatically scaled down. i remember the first district assembly where the lunch break was nearly 2 hours, in total there was only like 3.5 hours of talks for the whole day. are they running out of things to talk about?

i hope so. can't wait to see these cheesy new awake tracts. of course they'll print an article about this new slim format being "tailor-made for the modern reader, simple and concise." sounds more like an insult to the reader.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

" i remember the first district assembly where the lunch break was nearly 2 hours, in total there was only like 3.5 hours of talks for the whole day"

Don't understand that - as the latest DA here had a lunch break of 1:20 and a total of 5:30 hours of talk ............

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I am only "" and remember being dragged eight hours days of many, many, and more days of listening to endless ick!

Some Dubs would sit back and listen after the long day at Dodger Stadium for "extra experiences" going on until 8-9pm. How's that kids?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I am only "" and remember being dragged eight hours days of many, many, and more days of listening to endless ick!

Some Dubs would sit back and listen after the long day at Dodger Stadium for "extra experiences" going on until 8-9pm. How's that kids?

• secondary priorities
    secondary priorities

yeah old hippie. it was in the early 2000s...at least here in canada, and for that year.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I remember the old Dodger Stadium days that ran well into the nights! As a little kid, it was a nightmare that never ended!!!

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "i'm only 28, but i remember the district assemblies being much longer, the lunches shorter, the 3 weekly meetings, etc. i was quite surprised when i was still in to see everything dramatically scaled down. i remember the first district assembly where the lunch break was nearly 2 hours, in total there was only like 3.5 hours of talks for the whole day. are they running out of things to talk about?..." secondary priorities, page #3

Geez, you young WHIPPERsnappers had it EASY!!!

I was 'in' during the 1960's - 70s - you know, the big run-up [or should that be, 'run ahead' ??] for 1975 - when the Watchtower did "not" claim that "Armageddon" was coming...

The damned assemblies were SEVEN days long - sat in the HOT sun and burned up over a week of our vacation for that crap, EVERY year...

At least they DID provide lunches - yukky, white-bread-refined-sugar-crisco-oil heavy lunches - after a couple of those assemblies' lunches, my family wisely chose to start eating out...

My parents never tumbled to the "official" lodging either, thank goodness - nothing would have been worse than being stuck in a Jehovah's Witness assembly during vacation and then having to put up with them AFTER assembly hours, too... Oh, and the constant refrain back then was "DON'T GO to COLLEGE! You'll lose your BRAINS to SATAN just before the "GREAT TRIBULATION" starts..."

Sheeesh.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, and the fifteen-minute long "prayers" that would come at the end of the day's program - or worse yet, at the end of the assemblies... Just when we kids were SO glad it was finally ALL OVER and were primed to take off for some REAL vacation!!!

Yuk, BAD times, bad times...

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

@Zid, your prayers by the old ones were only 15 minutes in the hot blazing Sun? The nuts from New York could give a "talk-prayer", I kid you not, 45 minutes here in the 1970s during the "Seven-Days-Of-Severely-Suffering" Assembly "Camp-Outs" Dawn to 9pm :(

"paintedToes" remember staying after the regular sessions to listen to experiences until 8-10pm? These were "Options" but the hint was made "lovers of Jehovah will stay for updating information from Malawi, Russia, China, blah, blah.blah! Can you remember getting "snow cones" with those tickets used as currency?

• secondary priorities
    secondary priorities

wow. that's amazing. i can't imagine a 7-day convention. yeah haha i suppose i did have it easy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit