"Believers" vs. Atheists- Why this formulation?

by Band on the Run 132 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I DDon't what what to say about that, BTS. And come on, let's be fair, who *hasn't* hit someone with their penis? The trick is doing it to someone that won't take you to court for it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Lmao!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

My penis smacking a female's ass cheeks is my favorite 2AM wakeup call and it has never gotten me arrested. At least not by cops. As for death by double dees, there are plenty of worse ways to die.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

As for death by double dees, there are plenty of worse ways to die.

I know.....C-cups .... *shudder*

• Etude
    Etude

" Christ can co-exist with science and rigorous academic study. "

Sure, sure they can co-exist. But, they will probably never agree. Red and Blue States (ideologies) co-exist. But I doubt they will ever have an accord on most issues. Band on the Run, although I feel protective of your feelings and desire for a sense of spirituality, you must be realistic about what it is you believe and what the truth may be. I read "Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them)” by Bart D. Ehrman, where after showing huge problems with the canon via Historical Criticism, he nevertheless concludes that what's important is to take away is the message of Christ, the one that says to love one another, etc, etc, even if Christ many have never existed.

So, I suppose that there's a way to have a positive attitude even while being completely aware that our foundations are totally fabricated. Hey, whatever works for you is OK. Just keep it real. For me, there is a inevitable recognition that most humans have a spiritual side, even if there is no God to satisfy it. I don't try to explain it, but I try to nurture it by keeping that sense of awe about the universe and about really cool people. But, it has nothing to do with religion or beliefs which I can't substantiate. Am I an atheist? I'm not sure. I'm definitely profoundly agnostic. Even so, I've been accused of being one or the other for simply making some observations about one or the other. It's funny how perhaps we can be in the same position and believe so differently.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Knowsnothing!

Really, the only 'believers' represented here are Christians. 'Believers' could be Muslims, Jews, Mormon's, etc., but I've yet to see one on here.

Although Abraham was not a Jew, Christian or Muslim, I am happy to identify as each of these for the sake of common ground with all those claiming Abraham as earthly spiritual father.

Googling "Muslims are not Islamists" makes for interesting reading.

Personally I believe the gospel/bissar/injeel is calling Christians to become Christian by abandoning "Christless Christianity".

Muslims too, I believe, are being called by means of the injeel/injil to become Muslims (persons who submit to the God of Abraham - or Hazrat Ibrahim pbuh).

Jews too, I believe, are called by means of the priceless bissar to become Jews (sons of Abraham and the God of Abraham).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know what to say b/c I can't compete with sex tales. No way.

The main problem I see is imposition of a view of God on others. I just want to witness that mainstream Christianity is not so narrow. World views and culture are prob. the main problem with communication. From my perspective, I believe the essence of Christianity is that Jesus is God. I would rather have a God Jesus than a Michael whatever, stripped of power. JWs and others who are not Christ centered are YHWHists. Christ should be the central point of Christianity.

No, I don't believe El has anything to do with Jesus. Jesus is His own Father and own Son. Is there proof for this? No. It is an extrapolation of scripture. But no where do the scriptures state that Jesus is not God. What is key to our understanding is never made clear.

Intellectually, I am an atheist but something within me calls me to faith. It may be my own desire for tradition and community. All I can say is that it serves me well.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I don't know what to say b/c I can't compete with sex tales.

We were hoping for participation. Like some dirty lawyer jokes or something.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like the rituals of the Anglican church. I was raised in it and I have very good memories of it. As a child growing up in the Episcopal Church, I was a natural universalist. No one told me about universalism.

Evolution was taught in school and my parents had a library of science books and some were specifically about Evolution. I just took it for granted that was how people came to be. I don't remember anyone ever freaking out about Evolution or Creationism and you did not hear the term Intelligent Design. I started school in 1965.

I don't think even the most staunch fundamentalist will argue with anything about science except for the origins of the universe and living things. Sometimes I look at the assumption that if you believe in any kind of higher power or Great Spirit or God, that you automatically shun science. I look at that assumption and shake my head because of the stark inaccuracy of the assumption.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Intellectually, I am an atheist but something within me calls me to faith. It may be my own desire for tradition and community. All I can say is that it serves me well.

Such tension in your state, BOTR! Great things should be written about it. Indeed great things have been about this state you inhabit... this sentimiento trajico de la vida.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit