A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Palm, remember that politician in Maine that expressed shock and suspicion that 'dozens' of black people came to the polls to vote? It just happened last week. He said nobody knew any black people lived in the area! They were going to check into it. He was challenged, and a bit later he said that of course he knew there were some black people in Maine, and you can't accuse him of being racist because he played basketball every weekend with a black man.

Palm, there are some angry posts that are trying to stir up bad feeling, bait, and really do nothing in the spirit of this thread, which was to ask how we can lead to better debate (not truce, as you were very clear that you chose the wrong word).

Many people here said some very positive things, and it seems we agree that if we wish to discuss this, it is likely to be pretty tense. If we can ignore the posts that want to be the flash point in the powder keg, it probably won't get out of hand. That's really all we can do, ignore them, because generally when this is festering, there is no convincing them to stop.

Let's make sure your thread goes out with dignity and not in one of these senseless, silly, petty battles.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I think some points [panda] bear repeating, dear Palm (peace to you!)... and perhaps emphasizing (just in case some didn't bother to read everything that transpired [since they last posted/read the thread])...including these, some of which [panda] bear THREE-repeating, apparently:

"... There really is no problem "between atheists and non-atheists" on this board.

"... atheists and non-athiests HERE actually "reside" together in [relative] peace, for the most part.

"... let's be real - there ARE some problems, even though small in comparison to the "big picture" of this forum...

"... Some atheists have a problem with SOME believers (and other folk).

"... SOME believers have a problem with SOME atheists (and other folk).

"... SOME atheists have a problem with a certain believer in particular... andwith any BELIEVER who agrees with, support, befriend, or even confess affection for... a certain believer in particular. We should also note, though, they don't [seem to] have the same problem with any NON-believers who support, befriend, or even confess affection for that certain believer...

"... Such atheists claim that their problem is based on the particular believer's beliefs, but their comments often seem to indicate that more is involved, which causes believers to get more involved. Regardless, these non-believers have a problem with "something" (and they admit that) and that something is most related to the particular believer (which they also admit).

"... a "truce" really [can] be reached...

"... if just a few things... are remembered by ALL:

"... This is ... a SOCIAL discussion board, and nothing... is going to change that.

"... This is NOT a public forum... and with the exception of the Owners, everyone is here by permission OF the owners.

"... ONLY THE OWNERS can... and so should... say who can, can not, should and should not post here... as well as what they can, can not, should, and should not post here. Since then, all ARE here by implied... OR EXPLICIT... invitation of the Owner(s)... and some, including myself are here by the latter, although such may not be known to all... no one else should think they have the "power" to state otherwise, and so should refrain from stating, implying, insinuating, alluding to, or demanding that someone NOT be here... or post what/as they do. (yeah, that entire one needed to be three-peated... maybe even four- and five-... heck, 10-peated... before we actually get somewhere even near a realistic "truce").

"... the purpose of this site... is to give a voice... to the extent such does not violate forum rules... to former and current Jehovah's Witnesses due to the LACK of free speech afforded by the WTBTS... to both its current members and former members, their families, friends, and other loved ones... which lack not only suppresses free will and the RIGHT to choose... but the right to pursue one's faith should that be outside the boundaries and doctrines OF the WTBTS. It is NOT a site that foments atheism OR faith. It is a proponent of neither, but a champion of both. Which is why it has been so successful. (This one, too. Well, almost...)

"... It's an easy enough thing to do, a truce... if not an all-out "cease fire"... if these things can be remembered. I want to have hope that all WILL remember these things;

"... some folks who, upon "coming to dinner"... forget that they are guests. For some, such is forgotten at the doorstep. For others, after some time. (I should add, some never considered themselves guests to begin with, although they should have... and should do so now).

"... We ARE all guests, however... no matter HOW long we've been here.

"... Only two here are not guests, but owners. Householders...

"... until thehouseholder puts out the pineapple... or walks one to the door... one should feel "at home"... but always observing the "rules" of the "house." (Notice, it's the HOUSEHOLDER who puts out the pineapple... or walks others to the door... NOT another guest - sheesh...)

"... Because, again, one really is... just a guest."

I mean, really... let's start being at least a LITTLE honest about all of this stuff. 'Cause ya'll KNOW it's all true... even if you don't LIKE it... or want to HEAR it.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who found all the "editing" that went on after hours quite curious. Not that anyone cares, though: those who mattered in the discussion knew what was actually "said". You know, before all the "editing" -

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So I had my kitchen floor done this weekend by two guys that are friends of mine. One is an atheist/Democrat. One is a non-atheist/Republican.

An explosive mix, but the floor came out quite nice. Who could have forseen that?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Let's make sure your thread goes out with dignity and not in one of these senseless, silly, petty battles.

Oh, would that it could. My Lord knows I tried to keep it "there", even taking the "mess" elsewhere. Hard to do, though, when one brings mess to one's own thread...

C'mon, dear NC (peace to you!): the only "baiting" that occurred here was the usual "bait and switch" that these kinds of threads are to begin with. If folks TRULY want a truce, they need to act like they do, right out the gate... and simply offer a hand/kiss/hug/flag/word of peace... and leave it that. Allowing one's own "friends" to take potshots... as well as bringing inaccurate mess in... isn't indicative of wanting to foment truce. When one starts a thread like this, one takes the responsibility of LEADING the journey toward the end... truce... if that was one's true intention.

Please. The lack of TRUTH just blows my mind. Then again, I guess I understand that most consider a "form" of truth just as good.

I don't.

Peace... truly. From me... to whomever can receive that. For others, if and when they are TRULY ready to receive it, if ever. Until then, the "games" will most likely just continue. And that IS the real, as in unretouched, non-airbrushed, pock-marked... dripping with sweat and displaying all moles, zits, pimples, cellulite, dandruff and other "things" we all try to hide from others... truth.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

NC, tell dreamer I said hello. :)

• AGuest
    AGuest

And so goes the saying, dear NC (peace!)...

"Nam myoho renge kyo"!

Indeed!

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• elderelite
    elderelite

Lol who could have forseen it...? Im thinking the floor guys knew it would work out well for starteds :D

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Will do, Silence! Tell Pup to try Hadespuppy or something. I don't think they like "hell". It's all quite funny, because what people might envision from that name is the opposite of pup.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    So I had my kitchen floor done this weekend by two guys that are friends of mine. One is an atheist/Democrat. One is a non-atheist/Republican.
    An explosive mix, but the floor came out quite nice. Who could have forseen that?

Hahaha, yes! As someone else pointed out (sorry, I forget who now) in the real world, both groups would probably get along fine.

But since this is a discussion board, and a sorta religious discussion board......things are bound to get heated at times.

I'll state my intention again, since some here are still casting doubt on my motives, I wanted to find better ways for BOTH sides to handle the times when it gets heated, and hopefully to have BOTH sides take some responsibility. Change won't happen, if we refuse to own our part in things, will it?

I think we've done that, and some have chatted with me off the board, with a resolve to refuse to be manipulated and baited and to ignore the inevitable taunting.

In actuality, these ones resolved a good week or so before this thread and I saw how well it was working! I was hoping others would also take up the resolve. Obviously, some will not, but no matter, since the bait is not being taken!

Thank you, everyone who responded positively on the thread!

**high-fives everyone**

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The lack of TRUTH just blows my mind.

Indeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit