A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

No one is being asked to compromise their convictions, Caliber.

Unless your conviction is to exclusively bash one side over the other. Then yes, I'm asking you to compromise. "Compromise" in the sense of: Let's at least be realistic here.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

No, Palm, sorry, I don't criticise atheists for being atheists, so your premise falls down flat on its face before it even gets going. Please can you quote anywhere I have called atheists bad? This is so silly. How many times do I have to tell you I support the atheists' right to believe or not believe as they choose? How many times do the words "we do not care whether you are atheists or not" have to stare you in the face before you can take in their meaning?

Naturally, every living person on this planet has room for improvement, so no-one can argue with you there.

Still, once again you have put words in my mouth. Not once in this thread or any other have I said anything like "bad atheists/good believers". I do not think it, so I would not be saying it.

You really must stop making something up put of your own head and then accusing someone else of saying it. Do you want me to have said it, or something? Is that it?

I think you have some problems, Palm.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Calm down, Chariklo.

Maybe take a break, if you need to.

I can post the Panda picture again, if you need.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Palm, dear, I am beautifully calm. But then, I am not the one with a need to make up accusations.

Why not go and cuddle your panda?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Yes, you sound VERY calm......

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

at the end of the day, if you throw an idea/concept out there, you have to be prepared for the critiques that will come.

disagreement and challenges are not equivalent to disrespect.

SOME atheists believe that religion/god/creator is toxic and bad for society.

SOME theists believe that atheism leads to bitterness and anger.

with that in mind, harsh critiques are inevitable, at least from time to time. and for legitimate concerns.

but the forum is a lot more interesting with a good fight thread :P

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    at the end of the day, if you throw an idea/concept out there, you have to be prepared for the critiques that will come.
    disagreement and challenges are not equivalent to disrespect.
    SOME atheists believe that religion/god/creator is toxic and bad for society.
    SOME theists believe that atheism leads to bitterness and anger.
    with that in mind, harsh critiques are inevitable, at least from time to time. and for legitimate concerns.
    but the forum is a lot more interesting with a good fight thread :P

An excellent summation, RBIH

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that, as long as no one tries to force their viewes down anyone elses throat, agreeing to disagree is a very healthy and sane way to do things.

We may not agree on certain things but Ithink we are all able to understand the other's POV to an extent that we all can respect.

Remember that understanding doesn't equal argreement or condoning, just understanding.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Quite right, rather be in hades. I completely agree with you. Personally, from my own experience, I do not believe that most atheists view religion/god/creator. Maybe it's just how things are in Britain, or how things are in my own friend circle, but just as I am tolerant of all views, so the atheists and humanists that I know are tolerant of people with a faith of any sort.

My friends include a Jew who has a responsible position in the Anglican Church, Muslims with origins in many different countries including Palestine, Bah'ai, many Buddhists, many pagans and wiccans...and many more. Quakers, Catholics, Anglican, Methodists, Baptists...we all get on very well together. The one group that does not fit with this scenario is the Jehovah's Witnesses. JW's think they are right and everyone ese is wrong, they are intolerant of any idea to the contrary, and they don't even encourage sharing ideas. However, they pretend to do so while trying to lure and "catch" a "study".

The small group of evangelical atheists here display many (not of course all) of the characteristics of the JW's that many of them once were, and the bitterness and anger that some of them understandably and justifiably feel towards the WT gets displaced and thrust onto an available dissenting voice.

They are only a very few. When I say that, they ask me to name names. Not only am I not going to play that game but there is no need. Everyone else knows them. It's impossible not to.

What they really don't like is when someone not only stands up to them but points out their illogicality and prejudice. It sends them into a great big tizzy.

I'm glad you have a panda to make you feel better...interesting choice of cuddly animal there...I wonder if it reminds people of anything?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

If there are only "a very few" of such ones, Char, I'm unclear as to why they are addressed at great length in every one of your posts......

Could you give it a rest now? At least in the interest of peace? And also because it is really starting to look like "baiting" on your part.

You've made your point many times over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit