My country is sick

by sabastious 119 Replies latest social current

• sabastious
    sabastious

This is a melancholy day for me. Over the past few years I have been studying American politics and have enjoyed learning perspectives from different ideologies. I personally lean towards conservative values when it comes to creating legislature, however I am socially liberal. I have watched the two candidates for a long time and now that it's all over I cannot help but feel a sad calmness sweep over me. What would have Mitt Romney as a president been like? I personally don't think any theory would be correct, he had plans we were not completely aware of like any presidential candidate.

What concerns me about Obama is his partisanship, erratic behavior and lack of bipartisan communicative abilities. I have watched both parties intently and have concluded that the democratic party is much more stubborn than the republicans. The republicans are too split and cannot properly organize. The democrats seem to stop at nothing to see their ideas to the end, even if that end doesn't look so bright. They seem hell bent on ignoring a large portion of this country's population and fighting against any who stand in their way often in a very dirty manner. They have a vision for America that doesn't fit in line with what all the people want, only what the more liberal crowd wants. The republicans are not simply money grubbers looking to shrink big goverment to aid their own ends and I have seen motivation and drive to work with the democrats, but they are refused their fundamentals and offered slanted compromises.

Frankly, Obama frightens me. He will cater to a specific demographic, like gays or blacks for instance, because they help his campaign and then will largely ignore them while president. I get the feeling like the presidency is a position with extremely privileged information that can change any previous plan and the population will be left scratching their heads. I see candidates campaign one way and then once in the seat play the role dramatically different. Does this make them a liar? I would say to a degree yes, but the simple fact is that there is a lot of classified information and the president is privvy to most of it.

Take Benghazi for instance, from an outsiders perspective it looks at the very least negligent on the part of the administration. Weird misdirection about a hate video, secretary Clinton wrongly taking the full blame, that was a weird scenario. The Fast and the Furious scandal also seems very odd and it appears that more facts are needed as is the case most of the time when it comes to government scandals. There just seems to be a lot of corruption in my country and it's very worrisome. Someone needs to stand up to it and I thought that might have been Mitt Romney.

I had my hopes up for Romney because I think he could have changed things for the better. I think his choice of vice president was very poor, there were better choices like Marco Rubio and a few others. I think Romney would work with democratcs much better than Obama works with republicans. With all the hate that has been thrown towards Obama for years I don't see how he can regain respect from his opponents. Will this simply be four more years of a gimped democratic party being challenged by the republicans to the point of stalemate? Or can there be some kind of understanding and legitimate compromise?

My country fell ill a while back and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I think a lot of people lost hope yesterday and it scares me to think about what might happen. We were all faced with a scenario where we had to weed through lies to discover shakey kernals of truth at best. People won't vote when the waters look muddy. In the end, who really knows what is going on in the oval office and in the government in general? What's presented to me through the TV screen and the internet can be a captivating experience, but it's largely just smoke and mirrors displayed by porcelain personalities. Why have democracy if the country is just going to split into factions and vote merely based off those? There are better ways, much much better ways than this.

-Sab

• undercover
    undercover

On the plus side, we won't have to wear 'magic underwear'. Cancelled my order first thing this morning...

• princecharmant
    princecharmant

Would you have felt better if Mitt had won? Would the country's prospects have become brighter? Did you really grasp what he was trying to sell throughout his campaign?

My questions are honest. I am not American.

• Glander
    Glander

Sabas. You put it very well. I agree. But there it is.

Now we hope for the best. The stockmarket is diving already. Hope it's just a blip, but it could be the beggining of another dip that this country can ill afford.

Now Obama has a chance to live up to his promises...again. Hope it turns out better than the last 4 years.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sab:

I agree with you that we are in big trouble. Sadly, I feel that if the Republicans didn't screw us up so badly in the past that this man would never have been elected in the first place!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

People are ditching stocks. Not a good sign. Is gold up?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well for me, his election has given me some hope. Had Romney won, I could have let go of any hope I would ever have of being able to get health insurance, because I can't work full time. Lies? Lies bother you? They bothered Ohio too, when Romney came here and lied and said Jeep was sending many of our jobs to China. He tried to scare Ohio into voting for him with a lie. Even after Jeep and our Republican governor said it was a lie, and in fact, they were bringing more jobs to Ohio, he doubled down on the lie.

Children of undocumented immigrants have hope too. Romney asked them to return themselves to a country they had never seen. To leave the only country they knew. He offered no path to citizenship.

Romney couldn't even say he supported equal pay for women. So now women have some hope.

Romney listed all the countries he wanted to war with, and he wanted to extend the war in Afghanistan. Oh, he tried to pretend he never said that, but he actually ran on it. We have youtube now. So now soldiers and their families have some hope.

He would have signed personhood legislation that would have outlawed many forms of birth control, and of course, appoint Supreme justices that would have overturned Roe v Wade.

He couldn't even come out and clearly say that Rush Limbaugh shouldn't have called a young woman a slut to punish her for speaking out on an issue that was important to her. He supported men that used terms like 'legitimate' rape, and pregnancy through rape was a blessing from God.

He would have turned Medicare into a voucher program, so the elderly now have hope. He would have taxed the poor to give the rich more tax breaks, so now the working class has more hope.

Yeah, Sab, as a young white man, perhaps you think this country would have been better off. The problem is that nobody can win the presidency with that vote anymore. Romney seemed to think that in order not to 'cater' to certain goups, he had to attack and disrespect them. Like the 47%. Like Latinos, African Americans and women.

And the economy continues to improve.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I have been studying American politics

What's presented to me through the TV screen and the internet can be a captivating experience, but it's largely just smoke and mirrors

Keep studying, but not by means of the TV. Books are better - you get a bigger picture, not just sound bites. You sound like someone who has escaped from one bubble into another bubble.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What protection does a part time employee get under Obamacare?

• cantleave
    cantleave

People are ditching stocks...

More to do with news this side of the pond than your change in president.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit