My country is sick

by sabastious 119 Replies latest social current

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Not sure if you noticed, but the current health care reform bill was based off a republican's idea. They have consistantly been for health care reform, just in a fiscally responsible and less totalitarian manner. Affordable health care for all is non partisan issue.

Except when it's not. It became a partisan issue when Obama got some skin cells on it. Then it was the end of America as we knew it! But in a BAD way.

It IS a Republican idea, but an idea from the old Republican party---not this current party. And the cry was first, REPEAL AND REPLACE. So we asked them what they would replace it with. So they edited and the cry became, REPEAL.

We can't trust them to address this issue.

• sabastious
    sabastious

NC, the partisan aspect of health care reform is in the application, not the acceptance of the need. Clearly our medical industry is broken and beyond repair. People are literally dying and have been for quite some time. The casualties continue to mount every day. I am happy that Obamacare is going to kick in for those people soon, but I don't think that Romeny would have ignored the needs of suffering Americans while repealing Obamacare. He would have found a way to catch anyone who would have been left behind, that much I am sure of. He is a very compassionate man and was really put in a bad light by the democrats this election cycle. They wanted to paint him as a soulless corporate predator and that's not what he ever was. He is a person who believes in the corperate structure to the point where he sees corperations as people, because they are made up of them. Bain Capital set out to save damaged corperations with a preset model of rehabilitation, but they were wrongly painted as amoral fiscal pirates.

Anyone who thinks that a job should be eternally secured doesn't understand how jobs or an economy works. A job is created by a pioneer of weath creation within an ecnomic weather system that can shift directions at any time. To be fair corperate layoffs shouldn't leave people out to dry that's why the government should offer HR regulation and rehabilitation for the unemployed. We have a working system we just need to reaffirm the identities of the entities set up. There doesn't have to be a reinvention of the wheel, really just a nice wakeup call would do.

I was quite disappointed with the democrat super packs this cycle. Their ads went so low so many times to the point where Obama wouldn't even acknowledge their existence, but yet he still worked from the political momentum he got from them.

-Sab

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

theres so muc wrong in that post...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What I see wrong in the American political system is the divisiveness and indifference concerning the two main political parties.

The Republicans siding usually with big business interests and religious ideologies and the democrats concerned more about social issues and

government sponcered programs. One can take Romoney's speech flub during his campaign in saying that 47% of the population are

leeches that feed off of governments, as an example. It seems there's always a leaning to one demographic of the population against the other

demographic. The US needs to construct a new political party where ideologies are composed from both the Dems. and the Reps., something

in kind to progressive conservatism. Similar to the political party thats been running the federal government up here in Canada.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Sab: He said that his plans were the same "top down" economics that "got us in this mess in the first place.

Top down economics refers to an entire body of economic theory and practice, it is also called trickle down theory.

Here is a whole wikipedia about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle-down_economics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rising_tide_lifts_all_boats

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

There is no such thing as trickle down economics. No one has ever advanced or implemented it. Your own wikipedia entry contains its refutation as an economic policy. It is a straw man pejorative.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

How odd.Well different strokes for different folks,I guess.Im elated!And more than half of the citizens of this beautiful place are too.Cant win them all,but we won this one!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Everything you say concerning Obama, I deeply feared with Romney. Only my rational brain kicks in. Candidates are far more complex than the cartoon characters that they portray. The country is very split but I recall the 1960s. You are showing the impact of stupid political commercials. The difference is I realize Romney is not the evil man the Dems portrayed. The rational mind is a good thing.

Romney came so close. Were it not for the Electoral College...... McCain did not come close but Romney was so competitive.

The good or bad thing is that is clear there is no mandate for Obama. He squeaked by which means the fiscal mess is going to get a lot worse.

According to professionals, most of our reaction to politics has little to do with ideology. Every time you use a credit or debit card, your personal tastes are compiled and sold to both parties. The info leads the parties to reach every voter and even what issues to mention with you. Tim Russert had some guests on Meet the Press who explained it. Your cola choice, toothpaste, sanitary napkins, cereal -- all leave a trail. We only think it is ideology. More likely, it is a lifestyle choice. For example, arugula screams Democrat. Iceberg lettuce screams Republican. They mentioned twenty consumer products. I was stunned when all my products indicated Democrat. I did not have single GOP item. Russert split each way 50/50.

Part of me believes no one should have access to this type of information, esp. for this purpose.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I find myself in the uneviable position of living in sab land on this... at least to a point.

Its no secret im a lifelong dubbie and up until a short while ago i thought the whole thing was gonna get crushed by the desert god in a few minutes... so im really just learning this and gaining perspective myself, but here is what i perceive, at least for today:

I 100% agree that many americans ( i said many, not all ) are "social liberals, fiscal conservatives" (i suspect sab and i heard that from the same source and both liked it).

I also agree that obama scares me for that very reason. He is fiscally inept. Hes a boob with money. Its not debatable. Hes frankly an idiot i wouldnt trust with .50. He strikes me as the type to be sent to market to get food for the day and come home with magic beans thinking he got the deal of a lifetime.

He also comes off as soft when he tries to be tough. He is record of the last four years strikes me as one of constant crybaybing and complaining that he inherited this and that and people wont cooperate wah wah wah.... nobody wants the point man for the country being a wuss. Stand the hell up and make it happen. thats life in the real world. Results first, excuses later.

I live in a real world type environment. I dont listen to political radio much or watch political tv shows often, but i have more recently. The view of these analysts is in no way real world. It dosent match up with what the people i know, in my little part of the world, think or feel on anything. Shit aint good. The economy is way worse now than ever before. Blame whoever you want but obama hasnt fixed a thing. I know more people out of work than ever, and thats scary because the northern VA area is pretty much recession proof. He managed to screw that up. I hear the so called liberal folks on this board sometimes blame bush or whoever, but after 4 freakin years the man has to own whats here now. Results, not excuses.

THe whole healthcare thing... a fiasco of epic proportions. Financially our country simply isnt set up to provide health care for everyone for free. That's essentially what we are talking about. MAKING a company provide coverage to someone they otherwise wouldnt because it isnt economically sound. Thats stupid. If it made financial sense to do it they already would, thus they are being forced to insure people. It cant lead to anything good for these companies who eventually will go out of business or dramatically raise rates on everyone to compensate. Fiasco. Epic Fail. I understand the intention and, being socially liberal, i dont want to see anyone die. I'm not interested in creating a "survival of the fittest" experiment. I want everyone to get health care.. but not like this. Its not going to end well. restructure the system as a whole, open up competition across state lines, make more types available do any one of a hundred ideas i have heard discussed but this is simply not financially viable.. and if i understand the law correctly (and who could) the REAL tax hikes in this thing dont kick in till next year. in an already faltering economy.. This is Bad. REally really bad.

I know NC and others have real world every day health concerns and feel that this program will help.. unfortunately it dosent offer any real cures. It dosent wave a magic wand and allow all illness and disease to go away ala the desert god's kingdom. It simply claims to make health care affordable... not likly. Given that my own effin doctor closed up shop and told me that she wasnt gong to hang around and be run out of business, i cant imagine its going to be good (totally anecdotal and only one older doctors opinion). I would also point out that NC and others WERE getting health care under the system as it was. We could have improved and made changes.. instead we gave the whole thing to the government. Frankly i cannot think of one thing the government does so well i would want to give them more. My wife works for the federal government, as many in my area do. The real world stories of stupidity, waste and fraud are astounding. Its not gong to get better because we gave it to the federal government to handle.

but then i have to look at the other side, the republicans.... they had the white house for eight years with that clown bush. He may not have spent the trillions obama has but he spent a LOT. Way the hell too much.... and then add in some of the objectionable policies socially and it isnt much better than now.... I doubt Romney would have been any different.

I really feel like the two party system is flawed. Either side simply panders to their base and tries to capture a few extras so as to win elections. We need real choices and people with real vision and ideas, not this tired ass rehash of party politics.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What I see wrong in the American political system is the divisiveness and indifference concerning the two main political parties.

That's why I chose to vote for Gary Johnson the libertarian. If I lived in a state where a Romney vote counted I would have voted for him (I live in a strong blue state). I do strongly support a third party option in future elections instead of the current two party system. For so long the game has only been between two political entities. It has been weighed and measured with that structure. I'd love to see how both democrat's and republican's would react to having to deal with a true third challenger every election cycle. All the little gimmicks that have drawn up based of the old system would vanish before their eyes. They'd actually have to create some real prosperity in order to surive, and that's good for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS7vCRlDC6A

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit