Are EXJW's predominantly atheist?

by sabastious 120 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Interesting and informative to know that the word "meme" was invented by Richard Dawkins in 1976, making it understandably a favourite word for atheists.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Okay, so they have a lot of information and have done a lot of research and are able to present an opposing argument. *shrug* You'll have that. It doesn't make it angry. Things can get frustrating, but any debate can be so. That is no reason to start an 'angry atheist' meme. There is passion on all sides---not that big a deal.

You said that because you have talked with a lot of atheists that you can make a claim about them. The same goes for me, I have spoken to a lot of atheists and they seem angry. However I do admit that if I called any of them out on it they would all staunchly disagree and use rationale to back up their statement to discredit mine. The last thing an atheist wants to be called is angry, which means that many of them are indeed just that. No meme needed, it's just a valid observation.

-Sab

• Dagney
    Dagney

JWs are great at making athiests. First they prove all other religions wrong, then they prove themselves wrong

Wow. That is good.

Does this mean your faith in God is contingent on how many blessings he brings into your life?

To the contrary. I always felt blessed, have no complaints. But I could not reconcile why other lives were not "as" blessed. Wasn't their life as valuable as mine? I think so. If there was a god, he wasn't doing a very good job of being a good god, from the beginning down to today. Those poor Canaanites.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Interesting and informative to know that the word "meme" was invented by Richard Dawkins in 1976, making it understandably a favourite word for atheists

Well that is interesting. I did not know that. I started using it a lot more when I went to college and my English and Anthropology professors gave it some attention. Good word to explain a large concept. Almost as good as Stephen Colbert's 'truthy'.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

However I do admit that if I called any of them out on it they would all staunchly disagree and use rationale to back up their statement to discredit mine. The last thing an atheist wants to be called is angry, which means that many of them are indeed just that

Well okay, Sab, but that would suggest you can read their mind or know them better than they know themselves. That can be problematic, but people do it all the time.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    To the contrary. I always felt blessed, have no complaints. But I could not reconcile why other lives were not "as" blessed. Wasn't their life as valuable as mine? I think so. If there was a god, he wasn't doing a very good job of being a good god, from the beginning down to today. Those poor Canaanites.

But what you said seemed like a deciding factor for you was that your life wasn't any better off when you gave up God which affirmed your nonbelief. This would mean that without a better life, non belief is appealing. In reality the quality of life a religion gives you should not play a deciding factor in your belief in it. Richard Dawkins says that it doesn't matter what belief system we like the best, the truth should be of utmost importance. Why should whether or not your life improved after giving up belief play a role at all? What about people who's lives got worse after giving up on God? Does that mean they should have stayed a believer? Faith and God is not about getting rewarded, if it was then everybody would have faith.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Well okay, Sab, but that would suggest you can read their mind or know them better than they know themselves. That can be problematic, but people do it all the time.

The brain works by association. We cannot help but make internal connections and identify patterns in our environment. This includes discussions with people of opposite ideologies.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The brain works by association. We cannot help but make internal connections and identify patterns in our environment. This includes discussions with people of opposite ideologies.

Okay. The problem I see with you knowing this, and trying to implement it, is that when it comes to me, you are wrong about my internal thoughts 98% of the time. But as I said, people do this all the time. So no biggie.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Okay. The problem I see with you knowing this, and trying to implement it, is that when it comes to me, you are wrong about my internal thoughts 98% of the time. But as I said, people do this all the time. So no biggie.

Well, this is because you accuse me of knowing your thoughts when I never made such an attempt. There is a difference between making an observation based on the things someone have said and assuming I know the thoughts of another.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

There is a difference between making an observation based on the things someone have said and assuming I know the thoughts of another.

Doll, I did not assume that about you. You told me that regardless of what I posted, and regardless of what an atheist says, you think they may be angry, or you don't know if they are angry. I was just replying to what you said--not making assumptions.

Anyway, I'm off with friends for a while. It was nice chatting with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit