Are EXJW's predominantly atheist?

by sabastious 120 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

NC, I never accused you of anger, I said how do I know you are NOT angry? Do you think you can hide anger because you are on a forum?

I suppose the same way we all ascertain anger---read the posts. There was no anger. Beyond that, I can't really do more. I'm not sure why you are so angry at the moment, but I know I haven't attacked you----so I'll leave that with you too.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Well, okay Sab, if you ever seriously investigate the possiblity that there is no god, you can use this method. I'll respect it. It's not the method I used, but I'm sure different personalities go about things differently. As long as they get the answers they are seeking, I won't fault it.

Have you seen the Andrew Zimmern episode of bizarre foods where he goes to a tribal community and bonds with them? Zimmern is an awesome dude. He's a great role model for just about everybody, really. While he was there they had to go kill a snake! They were wicked good with their slings. It was so interesting to watch another culture that has evaded western dominance.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I suppose the same way we all ascertain anger---read the posts. There was no anger. Beyond that, I can't really do more. I'm not sure why you are so angry at the moment, but I know I haven't attacked you----so I'll leave that with you too.

I don't think you are angry, I am trying to show you that maybe someone could construe your statements as that. Also, anger could be subconscious, that's the "enduring type." You often complain about how believers act. Frustration is a form of anger. Do atheists often come across as angry without knowing it?

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty
    I think that without investigating every single religion that has ever formed that the idea of "God" cannot be considered fully stuidied and therefore a conclusion cannot be made. - Sab

Actually we can take a legitimate shortcut. Almost all religions are predicated on the existence of a supernatural realm. Until anybody can provide a shred of evidence for this groundless assumption we are justified in dismissing all of them.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

But faith is not dependent upon evidence.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't think you are angry, I am trying to show you that maybe someone could construe your statements as that. Also, anger could be subconscious, that's the "enduring type." You often complain about how believers act. Frustration is a form of anger. Do atheists often come across as angry without knowing it?

Well, okay, if someone chooses to read anger in a post where there is none, that's kind of their issue. I have not worded anything to show any anger, and I'm sure posts could be construed according to any bias or mood---but it's not there.

As far as subconscious etc----I don't think anyone here is qualified to psychoanalyze me based on some posts---but if they choose to do so, then that is on them too. Certainly not something I need to answer.

Do we come across as angry without knowing it? I think the reader's bias can cause them to see anything they want, so it's not really the atheist's problem if no anger was intended. Can an atheist get angry? Sure. So what?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

No, faith is not based on evidence. That's what we have been saying.

• cofty
    cofty

But faith is not dependent upon evidence.

On this point we can all agree - hallelujah!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

As I said, faith is not dependent, (which as you know is not synonymous with based) upon evidence, which by extension means evidence is not necessary for there to be faith.

Nor, incidentally, would evidence be enough for someone already determined upon their chosen viewpoint. In other words, to turn it round, for those whose mind is made up, no amount of evidence would ever be enough.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Evidence would be enough for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit