Are EXJW's predominantly atheist?

by sabastious 120 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Doll, I did not assume that about you. You told me that regardless of what I posted, and regardless of what an atheist says, you think they may be angry, or you don't know if they are angry. I was just replying to what you said--not making assumptions.

Like I said everything I say about someone else is based off what they say, not mind reading. This is mainly because I lack mind reading capabilities. This is because I don't have anyone under a mind control regimen. I would need more resources and man power. I do, however, have a very good memory of the interaction I have here. I have noticed that many will say something that I will retain and they will not. Then when I make an observation in the future that uses past observations on what people have said, they take offense. Just know that I don't say things that are not based on observations and I never set out to expose vulnerabilities or hurt anyone's feelings.

Anyway, I'm off with friends for a while. It was nice chatting with you.

Thanks, you too.

-Sab

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"Are EXJW's predominantly atheist?", you assume absent of evidence is "evidence of absense". The majority of exJWs don't post on JWN, each year we are told over 50,000 Witnesses are expelled from the Congregation. Not everyone has access to a computer, others don't understand how "message-boards" can help heal the abuses they endured at Witnesses. If we interviewed one thousand ex-JWs or two-thousand, how many would say they are "atheist"? The data is too small to generalize "the majority of Ex-JWs are atheist", we need more numbers in different parts of the world. ExJWs in Industrial Europe would ten to be atheist or agnostic, undeveloped countries are probably still theists.

I am not a atheist, I know of other ex-JWs (United States, Latin American background) who head into "fundamental Christianity" others turn agnostic or deists. I know the mantra of "There is nothing outside the Organization. The majority of friends that leave the Organization abandon Jehovah and return to the mires of Christendom" are just scare tactics used to keep others from peeking out their spiritual windows. JWs need to lift up the blinders covering their windows and open up and let real "spiritual light" into their homes! Hiding out in fear of man, is not Christian Freedom (1 Corthians 6-__)

After visting with my younger sibling, i pondered how can people follow men so easily and turn over their Christian Freedom to others, because they refuse to think for themselves?

Can anyone tell what Ray Franz and Sam Dunlap belived regarding Christianity? James Wood did Brother Sam Dunlap and his wife remain in Christianity or turn agnostic? What is the premise of Ray's book "In Search of Christian Freedom"? Thank you.

• somebody
    somebody

Count me in as an EXJW who still believes in God, not an antheist. If anything, I realized that I actually was atheist while I was a JW, but didn't realize it back then, if that makes any sense.

peace,

somebody/gwen

• cofty
    cofty
    They have no real experience of anything of God. Their concept of God is formed by the judgemental, vengeful Jehovah of the Watchtower's creation.

They have no knowledge of the holy, no experience of God's all-merciful love because they have never been allowed to learn about grace; - chariklo

Not in my case, I was a passionate born-again christian for 9 years. I preached about grace many times and nothing moved me more than to read, sing and pray about god's grace in dying on the cross for my sins in the person of Jesus. "Christ crucified" was my creed.

If something is only based on feelings and not on objective evidence it can only be sustained by constant reinforcement and cognitive dissonance. In the end I had to admit this was the case. It was a very painful realisation.

• jam
    jam

If there is A GOD, not the JW,s GOD and I blew it with the true GOD.

My plea to GOD will be, Satan did a number on me. He convinced me

that he didn,t exist and you were a myth after leaving his organization the

Witnessess. It,s very confusing. He,s truly deceitful. One minute I

was serving the true GOD and then the next minute, hell I don,t know.

You can,t blame me, Satan constructed past history in a way to cast

doubt in your existence, not one single word from you. The book you

left us as a guide is not applicable today. We have some people still stoning

individuals and others would land in jail if they did the same.

We use more of our brain power today. You know Satan even covered

up the flood, wipe it clean no trace not one clue it took place.

He(Satan) did a hell of a job on everything. Where were you GOD.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I believe in God but since I know little or next to nothing about him some may classify me as an atheist.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think the JWs promote back or white thinking. All others are wrong, we are right. This is comforting for those who need moral certainty. The problem is, once you realize that the JWs are badly flawed, where do you go? I think Atheism is a very logical step, especially for those who need to be certain. (I am not saying Atheism is wrong or that there are not other reasons to be an Athiest). I came very close to Atheism myself, but could not tottally reject the thought God altogether. I now am OK with the thought that I may never have the certainty that I did as a JW. I am on a spiritual path, and I don't think you need to believe in God to be on such a path. I am now even considering joining a church. I don't feel I need to have absolute faith to join a church. I would never let anyone tell me what to think do and say like the WTBTS. But neither do I feel the religion has to be perfect to meet my needs. I am 12 years out and would like the comfort of a spiritual community.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

It isn't a question of knowing about him, James Brown. Knowing him is far more important, and just being quiet and asking him to make himself known to you is enough.

• cofty
    cofty

just being quiet and asking him to make himself known to you is enough.

This is precisely the psychological trick used by Mormons to successfully convince millions that the Book of Mormon is inspired of god.

• d
    d

I became an atheist after I left the Jw's. I feel that Jw's are like blood sucking leeches, they drain of your life and your youth.Sorry I am just in a bad mood today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit