Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Cofty, I love Science. I am a scientist, but it's not my identity. I do not just follow curiosity. That kills the cat, remember? Now that we know we WERE the cat, in a manner of speaking, that wisdom is even more apparent than ever. I believe in seeking out the Hand of God so that I can live instead of just survive.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

I am a scientist - Sab

Really! Wow you have hidden that fact really well.

I believe in seeking out the Hand of God so that I can live instead of just survive.

I have no idea what you mean. Are you implying the life of an atheist is nothing more than survival?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Chariko, darling! Part of the grieving process from this stupid high-control group is anger at god. It is expected!

The ones who regularly engage are a select few but we're not all like that.

People who believe are not all generally 'stupid', no more than millitant atheists are all 'smart'. ;) And all that believe are not all christian fundumbmentalists just like atheists are, um, whatever... ;P

Please don't put me in that group that scorn, and I won't call you a christian fundumbmentalist. :D

** kisses **

Adorable Monkey

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Let's just end this by giving Chariklo the answer she wants:
    Atheists scorn believers because atheists are horiible, evil and vile people who deserve the Hell to which they will be sent.
    The scorn is just a cover for the deep jealousy they feel towards believers.
    Atheists are so jealous and scornful of believers because they are being driven insane from fear of the future.
    Atheists have no love in their lives. How could they know true love, when they dont' love God, right?
    So they are nothing but miserable wretches who just want to bring peace-loving believers down to their filthy level.
    Sorry, atheists, if I blew your cover. But I think the believers were already onto you...." Palmtree, page 5

Ah - HAH HAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! roflmao

[wipes tears from eyes] Good answer, Palm Tree!

Wish I'D come up with that!!

Zid

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

chariklo, i'm sorry, but this is not about a language barrier. i live in europe as well, and my first language isn't english (not even my second language, but wth), still, the common definition of atheism is simply not believing in any god. in the UK as well as in the US or anywhere else.

and opposed to what CA said, there are different flavors of atheism. there's "strong" atheism and there's "weak" atheism. a "strong" atheist would say "no god exists" while a "weak" atheist says "i don't believe that a god exists". this is getting mixed up, because some gods can be proven to not exist (such as the common god of the bible or quran), while other made up gods can't be proven to not exist. so most people (including christians and other believers) are strong atheists in some hindsight. but talking generally, most atheists are in the "weak" category. that is: if compelling evidence that (a) god exists is provided, they'd change their view, but as long as no evidence whatsoever exists, they won't believe in such a thing.

agnosticism is a whole different animal. theism/atheism is about believing or not believing. gnosticism/agnosticism is about being able to know or not. an agnostic says: i don't think one can know god. many atheists are agnostics as well. but you might be a believer and be an agnostic as well. this is a whole different story.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Touché' j.hofer... I take back my previous statements.

• still thinking
    still thinking

good grief...sab. Did you read anything I wrote? Or did you just leap on what you think I wrote?

• still thinking
    still thinking

No, there is a difference. I have noticed that I CANNOT mention God as the Beginning without being corrected. Don't you know that sparks endless debate? ...sab

I could say the same about not being able to say there is no god. It's called discussion.

If you want to just have agreemement about god I think there are forums specifically designed for that...or maybe you could go onto a secularist forum to tell atheists about god...now there's an idea...but you wouldn't do that would you? Because you don't want anyone to debate it....ROFL

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I'm sorry Chariklo, by I find the OP somewhat absurd. You need only look back on the number of threads begun by believers trying to school unbelievers to see how silly it is. And of course the unbelievers defend themselves and ...............boom, they are scornful, or any number of other unflattering adjectives.

All the while, many of us live in countries that are crushingly christian.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I'm just totally flabbergasted that an OP asking such a loaded, generalised, innaccurate and biased question . . . was actually being serious.

You live and learn I s'pose.

Palmie has the only acceptable answer . . . maybe you should just run with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit