Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL Qcmbr....after reading that, I find myself not caring what anyone believes. It's just a big joke. I've just lost all interest in discussing it. Might go have a coffee...

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

NewChapter said:

" And do the 10 commandments they follow include the Sabbath day---and is that logical?"

I see, so you get philosophical when it suits you. But when tough questions are asked, play the "I don't want to get into a philosophical debate" card.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL

That wasn't exactly philisophical. Just a response to the comment that non-atheists might use the 10 commandments as their guide post.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

lol you said logos

i had to look that up

i take it you didn't like the answer?

Philosophical logic

(see Philosophical logic)

Philosophical logic deals with formal descriptions of natural language. Most philosophers assume that the bulk of "normal" proper reasoning can be captured by logic, if one can find the right method for translating ordinary language into that logic. Philosophical logic is essentially a continuation of the traditional discipline that was called "Logic" before it was supplanted by the invention of mathematical logic. Philosophical logic has a much greater concern with the connection between natural language and logic. As a result, philosophical logicians have contributed a great deal to the development of non-standard logics (e.g., free logics, tense logics) as well as various extensions of classical logic (e.g., modal logics), and non-standard semantics for such logics (e.g., Kripke's technique of supervaluations in the semantics of logic).

____

was that what you were looking for?

how about this...

can you prove it? surely you don't expect to take me at your word x, y, and z do you? i want proof

do you have data? really this is the same thing as, "can you prove it?" i'd like to see the data to verify for myself

is it replicable? basically i need to know it wasn't some one off phenomenon. i used to ask god to make a leaf blow in two seconds after i said amen to prove he was real. southern cali isn't very windy tho. i eventually started asking to make it sunny and somewhere between 75-80 to prove he was real. that was better but every so often it'd rain...

you know, really "is it replicable?" is another way of saying "can you prove it?"...

so i guess what i'm saying is, can you prove it?

let's keep it simple...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No offense nostonecutters but you have not even FORMED a question. How do I reason? Do you want a neurological explanation? If you are looking for motive, all living things reason on the need to survive and procreate.

IF YOU MEAN MORALS then your question was poor.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

if christians derive their logic from the bible, then there's a lot of them doing a piss poor job of following it, judging by the religious right's "let 'em die" rather than socialize the medicine

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

PS... I think I need to visit the dyslexic diagnosis team, even I can see how awful my spelling is nowadays... forgive me and please dont judge my comments on my spelling :(

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Well! Four new pages overnight, but very little of it on-topic.

Sizemik, you were, just about. You said I had "finally admitted" that this thread was about behaviour. Oh no. You can't change the meaning of the thread's title and then put your words in my mouth! The thread is entitled

"why are atheists so intent on scorning believers?"

and so, very clearly, and explicitly as you read the on-topic posts, it is about the way that some, actually not a very large group of atheists have been behaving recently on the forum.

Everyone who wants to debate atheism and non-atheism, you are very well catered for in New Chapter's thread explicitly created for that purpose. Please have those discussions there. This thread is about why those atheists who scorn people who don't agree with them behave as they do.

Actually, I think we've learned rather a lot! There may not be much more to say on the topic, but sometimes actions speak volumes.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

So Char - I guess you'll chalk that up as a victory for your own bias. Well done. Mission accomplished.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

No. Nothing to do with that. Just hoping people will keep to Posting Guideline number 10.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit