Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Chariklo - I agree it's best to be a healer rather than 'speaking injurious things'(TM) LOL

Trouble is it doesn't seem to work always. On both sides there are 'mass debators'.........er.......can I re phrase that?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Torn apart, you are absolutely right. Of course not all atheists scorn people with beliefs. As I've already said elsewhere, and like you, I too have some wonderful atheist and humanist friends. They respect my beliefs and I theirs...because, yes, they, do have very strong beliefs, in justice and equality and that there is no god.

My title would have been better phrased if it had said "some of the atheists on this board"... and then there would have been howls of "name names!"

This thread was prompted, as I've said, by my own observations and experience of what a relatively small group of vociferous, self-proclaimed atheists have been doing recently on the forum. I don't remember noticing it until recently. I know I'm not the only one who has noticed it, because others have remarked on it. However, I am the one who was rash enough to stick her head above this particular parapet, unwisely, as this thread and my PM inbox have proved.

• tornapart
    tornapart

You're quite right Chariklo. Although I think it says more about someone's personality than what they believe in. When you can get so many atheists, who although they think believers are deluded will still speak kindly and respectfully or with gentle humour, as opposed to those who try to put over what they believe with dogmatism, self-righteousness and ad hominem attacks. Why do they need to do that? I'm hopeless at debating although I like to read others debating and there are some really good ones but I find it very sad when it goes downhill and I stop reading it. I know I'm far more likely to take on board what someone is presenting if they do it in a mild and dignified manner than if they were heaping scorn upon others.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I also love Black Label Society, Slayer, Motorhead, Metallica, Pantera, etc.

Yes, I am a raging metal fan.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I feel exactly like that, torn apart. EP, I don't mind a bit of heavy metal myself.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Give me Nightwish any day!

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I don't agree with it, but part of me understands it. Those who go out of their way to be a total jerk to believers, just piss me off. Never good to be vitriolic to someone who may end up siding with you one day. Many non-believers were once believers.

I say I understand it (understanding it is not the same as condoning it), because I find believers can be just as irritating. They can be just as nasty as non-believers. Ever since I woke up and started speaking out, there are SO MANY who just see "damaged goods" and they feel the need to come in and save the day. I don't view myself as "damaged goods" that needs to be rescued. I recently got my butt handed to me for "liking" a video on youtube. I got the JC treatment, you could say, this guy wasn't even a JW. Just blasted me, because he didn't approve. I get scolded because my videos aren't aimed at "bringing people to Jesus". And so many other constant nag nag nag. I mean really.

Thankfully, I know some really nice believers. They don't judge me for the journey I am on, even tho it's a different path from them. They are what keep me from getting hostile. I try to keep it at a "talk to the person, not the faith" kind of frame of mind. It's when I feel preached at, vs talked to, that I get a bit edgy, sometimes confrontational even.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think one of the reasons for scorn is a shadow projection.

They at one time were beleivers now that they have seen the beleiver part of themselves as wrong as well as childish they project that part of themselves on a hook in the outside world, in this case the beleiver. This causes feeling of agitation when they see thier shadow projection and so they engage in a bit of shadow boxing.

Once the shadow projection is realized a whole lot of neutralizing feelings occure and the projection becomes withdrawn the person becomes more whole as he takes back his projections and scorn is replaced by acceptance and love.

my $.02

http://ieric2010.hubpages.com/hub/Carl-Jung-and-the-Shadow-An-Introduction

The Phenomenology of Shadow Recognition

The first sign of shadow projection appears as a strong emotional reaction to anyone or anything in the environment (Wilber, 1979, p. 94). More precisely, the first-person experience of such affect feels visceral, impulsive and automatic, more like an unconscious reflex than a conscious, intentional response (Bennett, 1966, p. 119). The instinctive reflex arising out of such affect then projects the source of the feeling outwardly onto some other person, thing or situation, often in the form of emotionally pungent criticism and blame (1966, p. 119). It is this very tendency, in fact, which can serve as the prime indicator that the shadow is in play. By becoming mindfully aware of the people to whom the persona is positively or

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL, Char certainly disikes Richard Dawkins!

Dawkins is such a funny character. Two people can sit and watch one of his videos and come to completely different conclusions about the guy.

These people call him militant, yet I see a man who abhors violence and particularly violence brought on by superstition. He is very concerned with human rights and education. I watched a program he did on religious schools being funded by government. He went in and talked to the children--and he has a wonderful way with children. He asks them open-ended questions, listens to their answers, and speaks to them as equals with respect. He doesn't strike me as arrogant, but as extremely confident for very good reason. The facts are on his side. It's only arrogance if it is falsely puffed up.

He is engaged and passionate. He came to America and at a rally he encouraged atheists to speak up because there are more of us than any of us think. He's concerned about medical treatment being withheld from children, violence against women, violence against children. He has made things happen as he has helped rally others. His website has some great links to secular charities to help atheists feel more comfortable giving, since so many of us cringe to think of a religious organization touching our money. Along with that he organized a charity drive himself for hurricane victims.

But a believer looks at him and sees an arrogant militant. Which supports my theory that many believers wish that atheists would just STFU. Dawkins is a problem because he asks us to do the opposite.

I'm pretty sure he is not perfect, and he never claimed to be. But this particular hatred toward Dawkins is revealing if a little amusing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

By the way---on the school program----the children were being kept in ignorance. And their education is subsidized by government. Dawkins is such an arrogant asshole to express concern over that and mourn the lost potential. He, like other atheists, should just STFU!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit