Patterson on the line: Watchtower claims that paying cash bond would cause “immediate irreparable harm and hardship”

by cedars 339 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, that's great. Like I said, if it gets even one person to wake up and smell the coffee then it's a good thing a really good thing.

BTW, got your email ... glad to know we're on the same page.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

If the Watchtower ISN'T broke, and has a spare $17.3 million to deliver for the bond, then what possible motive does it have to offer Patterson, it's foremost "educational center", as a surety instead (with the world looking on)? I keep asking myself that question, and I can't think of any motive whatsoever - other than that they truly are broke as hell.

I can think of a motive. If they have to pay the $17.3 million, it means they no longer have that money in liquid form to invest. That would cost them a LOT of investment opportunity. Especially when one considers stocks like Amazon. good bets that are flipping up and down by $3-$4. $17.3 million in Amazon stock bought low and then sold a few days latter when it increases $3 per share amounts to a considerable number of shekels. I'm sure they routinely perform these types of investment activities.

However, if they use Patterson as surety, it costs them nothing. The still retain title and use of the property. If they lose the appeal, they simply pay the money. Conti does not GET Patterson, as you seem to indicate in your article.

As an aside, "immediate irreparable harm and hardship" is just the legal standard they must meet to exchange the money for property. They need to put that language in their briefs/motions, etc., and then they must try to convince the Court of the validity of the alleged hardship. EVERY corporation, even those flush with money, will walk into court and plead "immediate irreparable harm and hardship."

Lastly, "the world" is NOT looking on. Sure the media commented on the case and the large award, but the case has faded into the shadows.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

(let me try again, here)

To make their argument, the judge will require that they submit a financial impact statement or similar document as part of their argument.

If the financials look screwy, there is an arm set up for a review.

I believe it's called the District Attorney and Attorney General's Offices. I hope it works out.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Justitia Themis, thanks for clarifying!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

and thanks for posting the article Cedars. :)

• chasson
    chasson

braincleaned,

I don't know what does mean exactly "a conversion sale" but the building at 2-4 Joralemon Street is better known at 360 Furmann Street. I have taked my information from here:

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/B%C3%A2timents_de_la_Soci%C3%A9t%C3%A9_Watch_Tower

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Yes, you would think they would be seriously convening and debating as to why they have lost Jehovah's spirit & favor. What have they done? Where have they gone wrong?

If it's true that contributions are drying up, then they should recall what CT Russell originally said in the 2nd issue of the WT. When funds dry up they would realize that it's an indication from Jehovah that it's time to stop publishing.

Interesting that you mention Russell and Judge Rutherford: they both lost court cases in their times, but it didn't cause a a mass migration from the JWs as the R&F doubted a loss of "Jehovah's spirit and favor". They're bigger today than say, the 1930's.

This is simply a commonly-used legal delay strategy, which costs the WTBTS NOTHING in legal fees to engage in, if the lawyers are their own members of their Legal Dept (that is, if they are not using outside counsel; even if they ARE, it's been mentioned by Justitia as to why it may be advantageous to drag their feet as long as possible).

More tempests in teapots, folks, with some replacing their desires for the actual facts. You guys just can't make up stuff and expect NOT to be called on it when you do....

I'm seriously wondering if Cedars is actually a WT loyalist who is trying to discredit apostates, by trying to make us all appear to fit the WT characterization of angry, bitter, lying "mentally-diseased" apostates who arewilling to lie to others to discredit the Org. That would scare any doubting JWs who lurk to dismiss the information found here, throwing out the baby with Cedar's bathwater.

• cofty
    cofty

KS - that last paragraph was uncalled for.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

King Solomon!

Are you an apostate?

Have you ever been a JW?

Are you retired? Or do you still work?

Love Healthworker

• cofty
    cofty

Cedars does sterling work drawing attention to WT news without resorting to sensationalism. I'm sure he appreciates it when others correct facts and debate the significance of events.

Questioning his motives is out of order.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit