RE: What did God accomplish with the flood?

by bioflex 80 Replies latest watchtower bible

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

If it was God’s intent just to wipe out wicked mankind he should have just used one angel to do the job. He went well out of his way to bring about the flood event. I believe his main goal was to change the atmosphere surrounding earth. The rainbow, fermentation and a gradual life span reduction were a result of a new atmosphere.

OR, rather than a quasi-scientific explanation, we can look at the account to realize that it serves three purposes to the Torah:

1) Gives parents a good answer to explain where rainbows come from, when their children ask (and what parent wants to say, "I dunno?" since they've never learned about the refractive properties of water droplets suspended in the air in high-humidity conditions)

2) It reinforces the power of God, and what happens when he's not obeyed (even when he FORGOT to give mankind laws to obey, in the first place! You'd THINK he'd figure that out AFTER Cain killed Abel, and it wouldn't take 1,000 years or so to figure out that men MIGHT be better off administering justice themselves!)

3) It explains why man was alowed to rule over fellow men (remember: YHWH gave Adam domain over ANIMALS, not humans). ALL law codes written in ancient times relied on a supernatural justification to claim their authority, whether it be Code of Hammurabi, or the older Sumerian Codes (Oh, there MAY be an exception I'm not aware of, but I doubt it's wrong to say "ALL").

• cantleave
    cantleave

I can't believe people take this shit seriously enough to write long posts on it!

Come on people let the delusional fools believe their myths whilst you go down the pub and drink beer!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Come on people let the delusional fools believe their myths whilst you go down the pub and drink beer!

but its so fun to expose how delusional they are and who knows, maybe a spark of intellect might help them out of their delusion.

I think its important to reveal why was this particular story was told, with its intent as well all the other stories told by ancient people who once

worshiped a certain select deity.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Thanks for sharing your views King Solomon. Your comments are noted. However, I still stand by what I said.

Some of us are still believers who enjoy an occasional trip down to the pub.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Jam:

Sumerian Goddess Inanna: About 1000 years before

the bible, she was in the grave for 3days and nights

and resurrected

you clearly miss the point of the bible dont you? The bible wasnt written by just anybody.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

I think you have

it twisted, it seems that the Bible is a knock off of

mythological story.

and who wrote said mythological story? under what circumstances?

@Knowsnothing: Why did God allow the angels to procreate with female humans

you would be suprised to know the number of things God allows, i mean why does God allow people to have their way with all the bad stuff they do. Ever heard of human-animal sexual relations?

(I wonder why no angels were gay, given they are the ones that are supposed to induce that sort of inappropriate behavior, according to Christians)?

according to christians? really? the fact that some people call themselves christians do not make them one. Then again, do angels induce theft? do they induce fraud? do they induce murder? i suppose not. We are the ones who allow our own lusts to have the best of us.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@King Solomon:You tell me: why is all of mankind supposedly born into sin, and deserving of death UNLESS they repent?

mankind is born into sin, sure, but make no mistake , repentance does not mean you wont die. Death is inevitable for all men. Repentance and salvation mean you get to live again, in a body void of sin and death. Incorruptiible and imortal as the bible puts it.

1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
    1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Is that why the newborn babies were killed in the Flood, too? Why wasn't there an infant version of the Ark? Maybe they didn't repent?

new born babies you say, you totally ignore the fact that if the perents were corrupted becauseof the fusion with the aliens then their babies shared in the corruption too. Its called generation ( as in gene/DNA) for a reason, no?

Uh, I'm telling you that WTBTS policy has moved away from using the term "free will" to "freedom to choose", simply to avoid the mistake you're making. You don't even know what your own FDS currently teaches?

Search the archives, as I've discussed the difference between those terms (as it pertains to Adam and Eve) within the past 3-4 months.

Just to clear the confusion. I AM NOT A JW, I HAVE NEVER BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BEEN. I cherish the freedom i have and definitely do not need new light from some blind folks. I am a Christian, in the sense that i share a personal relationship with Christ. That is enough.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

bioflex said:

new born babies you say, you totally ignore the fact that if the perents were corrupted becauseof the fusion with the aliens then their babies shared in the corruption too. Its called generation ( as in gene/DNA) for a reason, no?

Sooo, you're thinking these Nephilim (aliens, in your World) were so populous that ALL babies born were sired by them? What, did they kill all the mortal males?

Never-mind: it's clear that you're headed into extra-Biblical theological territory, as it is. It's a bit pointless engaging with anyone who feels free to make up their own positions on the spot, depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

I AM NOT A JW, I HAVE NEVER BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BEEN. I cherish the freedom i have and definitely do not need new light from some blind folks. I am a Christian, in the sense that i share a personal relationship with Christ. That is enough.

Huh? Then why are you here exactly? Looking for recruits to your religion?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Acluetofind said:

Thanks for sharing your views King Solomon. Your comments are noted. However, I still stand by what I said:

If it was God’s intent just to wipe out wicked mankind he should have just used one angel to do the job. He went well out of his way to bring about the flood event. I believe his main goal was to change the atmosphere surrounding earth. The rainbow, fermentation and a gradual life span reduction were a result of a new atmosphere.

Soooo, why didn't he just make it that way originally? Surely that would've been more efficient than killing a billion people, and coming up with a cockamamie story to cover it up? I mean, you are contradicting the reason YHWH gave in the story itself: you DO understand that, right? In the words of the song from the Broadway stage play "The Book of Mormon", "you're making things up again, Arnold!"

Some of us are still believers who enjoy an occasional trip down to the pub.

I'll bet! If I tried to believe in the "water canopy" theory, which lies in the face of ALL scientific evidence, then I'd need a stiff drink or two on a daily basis!!

I'll leave it to you to search here for prior discussions of "water canopy" (Kent Hovind's theory), as well as other discussions where Bible version of cosmology and Noah's Flood has been ripped to shreds.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@King Solomon: Sooo, you're thinking these Nephilim (aliens, in your World) were so populous that ALL babies born were sired by them? What, did they kill all the mortal males?

you dont think everything begun in Noah's time, do you? there is a reason why it dawned on Noah to perform this task. We are all given the oppotunity to repent up to the very last minute. Just like we have been given time now to repent.

Never-mind: it's clear that you're headed into extra-Biblical theological territory, as it is. It's a bit pointless engaging with anyone who feels free to make up their own positions on the spot, depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

i only base my arguments on the bible and no where else.

Huh? Then why are you here exactly? Looking for recruits to your religion?

i suppose we would all agree that the WTS is pretty dangerous, no? they are neither hot not cold, they pretend to be for the world and for God at the same time. They preach the bible and back it up with science which is pretty stupid, considering the fact that those two are pretty much opposites. JW's are first class hypocrites and are the cause of much confusion, not to mention the massive number of people who have lost their humanity and lives because of the sheer stupidity of the WTS.

Thats why i wud do my best to get as much people out of this cult.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

It's an experiment turned awfully bad.

I just found Joseph Smith's missing golden plates. I found them under KS's house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit