Believing in God - Challenge

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Twitch
    Twitch
    My point wasn't to present a comprehensive list of all possible substances of abuse (incredibly long list, BTW), but to point out the parallels in rationales offered. But sure, alcoholics of course use the same rationale ("I need it to get by", "it helps me to relax and calm myself", etc.)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I guess this answers the question posed to you in the OP.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Twitch-(LOL) Sir,Was that a (wise)crack aimed at moi?

(Edited to add) It's OK if you were. I'll drink to that and to you, sir.

However, I was only generally speaking.( Which is hard to do, as I'm not fluent in general!)

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Was that a (wise)crack aimed at moi?

Nein. Ain't throwing no rocks at you ;)

But it's kinda funny that one of my early online gaming logins was A Twitching Junkie. It humored me to read the Medal of Honor ticker read "A Twitching Junkie killed Major Pain" and variations on the theme. lmao, good times.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Ok, Twitch, Just checking! Here's to you,

• still thinking
    still thinking

Cool videos Sol...I watched the rubber hand one as well. Isn't the brain a fascinating thing?

How can we really trust everything our minds tell us is real, when our minds can override reality to make something fit what we believe to be true. Our senses coexist so, in an attempt to make sense of our environment our mind makes a decision based on the overriding sense at the time. In the case of that video, sight, because the two senses were in conflict. But that then made what we heard incorrect.

Even when we know something is not true our minds can compensate by allowing itself to be convinced that a non reality is real as in the rubber hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwn1w7MJvk

I had never thought of a God being like an addiction...but yes, addiction can steel us away from reality and so can belief in a god. Some people manage to have god in their lives without negative influence. ie the casual drinker. It can be enjoyable and enhance their lives. Some let it overrule their lives and it becomes harmful to relationships and themselves. Too much god can be bad for you...LOL Maybe the answer is god in moderation...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Talesin, quantum theory is indeed mind-boggling.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Interesting (and freaky) video, ST!

ST said:

I had never thought of a God being like an addiction...but yes, addiction can steel us away from reality and so can belief in a god. Some people manage to have god in their lives without negative influence. ie the casual drinker. It can be enjoyable and enhance their lives. Some let it overrule their lives and it becomes harmful to relationships and themselves. Too much god can be bad for you...LOL Maybe the answer is god in moderation...

"Addiction" is an emotionally-loaded word, and rankles many people such that it raises their defense mechanisms when they consider whether the're addicted to the way thinking of God makes them feel.

However, psychiatrists also recognize positive addictions, the classic example of which is exercise; runners often crave that daily fix of rush of endorphins, and go through all the physical withdrawal symptoms of an addict (although much milder) if they don't get their "fix". So addictions are not necessarily bad, but the key is whether the addicition interferes with the person's ability to function, financial impact, relationships, etc.

That stated, I dare say most everyone here has a pretty serious case of internet/JWN addiction (which makes me wonder if there's an on-line support group for internet addictions, LOL)!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Bad weather. Having trouble today watching vids- will have to try again, manana.

Sol said- I dare say most everyone here has a pretty serious case of internet/JWN addiction (which makes me wonder if there's an on-line support group for internet addictions, LOL)!

(LOL)I've actually had that conversation with another member on JWN!!!

• still thinking
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Hi..my name is Pope Benedict...well, my real name is Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger...but I couldn't keep that one. God didn't like it...I'm a god addict.

Hi Joseph!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit