Believing in God - Challenge

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

So, we end up with you can believe what ever you want to, so long as you are balanced.

Believing in God - QED

I think one problem with this type of question, is which God? If God exists, which we don't know, which conceptualization of him is real? Can any of our "hypotheses" come close? What if I believe in the vengeful Jehovah? How is that supposed to confort me? How do I know he is real?

If we can't even define what or who God is, what exactly does believing in God mean?

God=?

jgnat, a more personal question, if you don't mind. What does believing in God do for you? How would you describe the God you believe in?

• perfect1
    perfect1

From the beginning you express a particular view of human nature:

Is it possible that there is a part of us that reaches beyond our base natures, to reach for that which is bigger than ourselves

What if our nature is not base but is actually pure and good.

In that case it would be a simple lack of recognition or split of some kind which would cause us to externalize the source of goodness and pursue it as a separate entity.

I believe that the God of the Bible is a god in the way Hindus and many other cultures conceive of deities- there are powerful beings we can interact with but they are not all good- in fact they might just be a JEALOUS, ANGRY, and REQUIRE OFFERING SACRIFICES.Sound familar.

Not sure how this notion of omni- everything all good GOD got wires crossed in western peoples minds with the sort of minor gods and goddesses that many cultures spend time pacifying- and that if you read the bible you realize god himself sounds as if he is trying too hard to be MIGHTY.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Before I address individual comments, I'm going to introduce some thoughts I've had lately...with pictures.

This is my mind-picture of the fundamentalist attempt to meld religion to science. Any attempt to combine the two creates a monster. There's a certain arrogance that comes with our industrialist society. When we attempt to justify our prejudice on religious grounds, we can do great harm to the sublimated cultures around us. Might does not make right.

This past year I've slowed down long enough to hear the story from the people of the land; the First Nations people who lived here before we did. Give them the floor and they will tell you the story of what was, and how we came to be. I realized that I was meeting the original traditionalists, holding on to a fading culture, lest we forget. There's a feeling, like finding the remnants of a crushed bluebell underfoot, that if we don't pay attention now, we may be too late.

Now, the native religion elements I've been introduced to, there is much spirituality, many Gods, and an attempt to harmonize the evil and the good. There may be an even stronger acknowledgement of the dark. Thunderbird is not a gentle god.

It's the gentle spirituality that I miss. That's been lost somehow in the industrialized, sanitized, mass-produced modern religions we see today.

Now, that has only a passing relation to the subject of this thread. I'll try and tie it together. I've always seen religion as man's attempt to reconcile to God. If there is God separate and apart from religion, that force/concept/consciousness may only have a fleeting interest in our constructions. It would be the height of arrogance for any sect to claim ownership. If God is truly universal, the spirituality of the people of the Thunderbird is the same spirituality of the Dalai Lama, is the same as....

The trappings are merely trappings.

Another thought is that religions are the keepers of our tradition, our history. There is something worthwhile to be learned from the stories.

I've recently experienced a little hiccup in my settled existence. At the same time, I am feeling a terrific call to the land. As has happened at key points in my life, destiny is calling. How do I know it is good? It is towards connection, relationship, healing. Is this God calling? I will not brush aside the call. At the same time, it would be wrong to box it in, define it.

Lightning Ridge

After all, Thunderbird roosts here.

• LV101
    LV101

jgnat --- really like your topic. I hope it continues.

LV101

• jgnat
    jgnat

frankiespeakin: perhaps we are all the same thing,"consciousness" and the individuality we experience is caused by a know&knower entanglement so maybe this all incompassing consciousness can be called god

Something like this was expressed by brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor when she had a stroke. The part of her mind that separated her from her environment was disabled. She felt a terrific connection to the world around her; no distinguishing. The ability to distinguish, say, hand from keyboard is pretty essential to our ability to function every day. But what if we could turn off that function at will, and feel the essential oneness of our existence? It seems to me by trying to define or contain this somehow would be to diminish the experience.

I agree with you that making decisions based on fear is fundamentally flawed. Fearing God may be fundamentally flawed.

_______

rip van winkle:

One of the mind exercises I’ve had lately is coming to understand Nature as a force. She’s kind of unavoidable here. I sense there is a deep lesson and I am determined to find it. Besides the great call of life, there is the undertone of sudden, violent death. It stalks every creature that would be prey. It gnaws in the belly of every predator. Paradoxically, beside the great symphony of life, is the impersonalness of death. Nature allows the weak to fall and perish, without shedding a tear. It doesn’t seem terribly fair.
    _____

OTWO: I believe searching for the connection all humans have to each other is very beneficial. I think that this life we live right now is all that we get, but it can be so meaningful and powerful and leave its own footprint after we are gone.

This might be the best expression of where my belief is leading me. Rationalism killed my notion of an afterlife. It may be there, but there is no evidence. This has changed my perspective to something that may be a little more Jewish. That is, impart the best that I am to my children, for them to inherit. Besides imparting to our children, perhaps the most enduring way to leave a legacy is to write.

_____

King Solomon: When you understand such truths (which are as close to "universal truths" as we get), I don't see a need to bog it down with more baggage

I like that. It does seem to be human nature, though. First we have the iconoclasts, the innovators. The second generation are the systemizers and codifiers. The third generation try to wipe out the competitors. Fourth generation split; a new generation of iconoclasts.

Is there a place for unifiers? Here’s a call for religions to come together based on those universal truths. I wonder who is listening? http://charterforcompassion.org/

I agree with you on your assessment of Witness spirituality. I am mindful of the cyborg. They remind me of Twain’s “seekers after truth”, who have laid out their shingle and defend it against all assault.
    http://www.twainquotes.com/Truth.html

_____

still thinking: If you don't like reality...god is for YOU.

For those who need God for comfort, this would apply. When I speak of reaching beyond our base natures, I am speaking of that part of us that is altruistic, thinking big thoughts, going beyond survival. I suggest this desire, whether sought after within the framework of religion or without, is a twinkle of god.

_____

Mall Cop:

I find that fear of death to be especially the siren call of the Witness faith. For all their talk of hope, a good part of their activity is to prevent that most dreaded outcome. The goad, if you will, that drives them door-to-door.

_____

Twitch: Perhaps taking on the god/father archetype is nothing more than challenging fate for dominance of our own destiny.

This is deep, deserving of its own mental exercise. I’ll get back to you in a few months.

Twitch: It's a divide by zero question, undefinable and has no answer ;)

I really like how you put that. I agree with you.

______

Phizzy:

I agree that the Witness God-concept and their general belief in Armageddon leads to passive thinking, passive lives. When I think of all the potential lost, especially for the young ones, my heart weeps.

The denial of evolution and the evidence of our eyes I agree also is counterproductive.

Now, regarding “believe what is not real”, this is where my mind is at war. There’s the fully awakened rationalist side that will not believe without evidence and with evidence is not shaken, and then there’s the intuitive side that calls that there is more. I’m not talking about justifying magic thinking here, just that holistic ability we all share to take in information that is not linear. Dare I ignore that voice?

______

Knowsnothing:

I’m more of the iconoclast school. I think as soon as we codify we lose something fundamental.
    Regarding your more personal question, I think there is a nest of neurons that allows us to transcend the evolutionary call, to reach beyond necessity and to act on universal good. For me, that good is summarized in “Reverence for life”. I think it leads me to altruistic acts, and to fight entropy.

_____

Perfect1: he is trying too hard to be MIGHTY

Kind of like the runt of the class, eh? When I look at the size of Israel on a map, it does look runty considering the human forces at work there.

I’ve read the anthropological view that the rise of agriculture gave birth to one God. The rise of city-states gave birth to the concept of individual faith.

By the way when I speak of base nature, I do not mean to imply that this is bad. In our base nature is love, parenthood, relationships, hunger, justice, satiation to name a few.

_____

LV101:

You are welcome. Too often in polarized debate tempers flare and reason disappears. I love what a discussion board can be - a meeting of minds...even if the conclusion is we continue to disagree.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Although I find it hard to believe in God myself now, I find a strange sort of comfort in the idea that someone as good and level headed as jgnat still believes. Almost as if she is performing a vicarious service on our behalf.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have not totally lost the ability to allow that there are a lot of things in this Universe and perhaps "outside" this Universe that we do not understand and many that perhaps we do not know of, a la Rumsfeld, unknown unknowns.

I rather hope for instance that this short life is not all that there is, that does not mean that I cannot accept the reality that I will die and rot, just that I would like that not to be the end of "me".

So, I not only allow for the possibility of an "Afterlife", I rather hope there is one, as long as it is pleasant !

I just do not see any evidence for any of the gods that man has invented being real, and of course, no evidence to back up my hope, I suppose if it were to work there would need to be a superior life form of some sort in control of it.

Despite my hope, I am still a rationalist, so my hope does not affect the way I live my life.

Another hope I have is that both the Beer and Wine Faeries are real, they are so hot !

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

how odd jgnat, I was thinking cybernetics just a couple of hours ago (post18019) and then also about what Jill Bolte taylor describes after she had her stroke although I was not thinking specifically about her - must have been on your wavelength

edit: I don't think atheists, even ones like KS, are as closed to extrasensory stuff as they sometimes pretend to be although i may have misunderstood them because of their um (dare I say the word) militancy

• jgnat
    jgnat

SBF, I am charmed.

Fallen Angels

Phizzy, you may enjoy these "fallen angels" as I do.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah, to be a Militant Atheist, how do I get to qualify ?

Thanks jgnat, for the angels, just lust, oops sorry, love 'em

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit