Believing in God - Challenge

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Jgnat...that was interesting.

I understand that different sections of our brains perform different duties, as it were. But those same sections can learn to replace the duties of other sections if need be too can't they? So these areas have taken on a role determined by evolution and our genes. They coexist because they are in fact one.

Some people do seems to be genetically predisposed to being more creative, or whatever their particuar talent is.

Are you suggesting that the increasing complexity of our brain function has enabled us to see god?

The randomness of natural selection has created a virtual knowledge about the universe?

Or is it consciousness itself that testifies to a higher power of some sort?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, I could go on for so long about the brain and the combination of factors that define what it becomes. You could say that all the brain has for its formation is an instruction to "go forth and multiply". Which parts are developed and which remain dormant have a great deal to do with attention and stimulation. Most tragic is an infant that is not exposed to interaction or language. In a sense, they will never think. They may understand and obey a command like a dog or a parrot, but they cannot imagine, plan, or string ideas together for a new thought. I am not sure that one side of the brain could take over for the other. Chances are the person would adapt to the loss of function. An example of successful adaptation might be the sense of touch, hearing, and seeing, as structurally they are not too far apart from each other. A blind person would reallocate the brain space with better developed sense of touch and hearing, for instance. Deaf people are keen observers.

Are you suggesting that the increasing complexity of our brain function has enabled us to see god? - No

The randomness of natural selection has created a virtual knowledge about the universe? - No

Or is it consciousness itself that testifies to a higher power of some sort? - No

As for the existence of God, that's not my argument here. I am simply speculating if the belief in the higher leads a person to live the higher.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

In the simplistic terms, still thinking, our brain is divided in function between linear, rationalist thought (left brain) and intuitive, wholistic observation in time and space (right brain). The right brain allows us to distinguish a cup and pick it up. The left brain names it "cup". We cannot have a rational discussion without language, which provides structure. As glorious as rationalism is, it is limited by its own structures.

jgnat, that model of brain function (right-brain/left-brain) IS incredibly simplistic (as you admit), as it over-simplifies that which is well-understood by scientists to the point where it offers no real functional utility to neurologists, but arguably only sells pop psychology books to the lay-public (junk science). The actual story of brain functionality is incredibly more complicated than such a broad over-generalization allows.

A similar popular urban myth says that we only use something like 5% of our brains; while accepted by many, it simply is not true, as well.

An example of successful adaptation might be the sense of touch, hearing, and seeing, as structurally they are not too far apart from each other. A blind person would reallocate the brain space with better developed sense of touch and hearing, for instance. Deaf people are keen observers.

Granted, the brain possesses signifant neural plasticity, where it can adopt compensatory mechanisms when a sensory loss occurs (esp if it happens when the person is younger, and brain is still actively developing new synaptic connections amongst the major centers of "higher" functionality where multi-sensory integration takes place). It's a lovely comforting myth to think that the other senses take over to compensate in the event of a loss, but it's not the reality.

• jgnat
    jgnat

One of the challenges with brain mapping as I understand it, KS, as the sector size differ by individual. The generalities are broadly the same but differ in the specifics. I have seen convincing examples where the brain sector usually set aside for sight is taken over for other functions in a blind individual.

Homunculus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit