Believing in God - Challenge

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Tal said:

Perhaps 'the rational' as we see it, is limited by our abilities of perception.

Rationality is a result of cognition (brain) functions, and is COMPLETELY DEPENDENT UPON and LIMITED by our perceptive (input) capabilities.

At the risk of grossly-oversimplifying, it's like a computer that cannot "crunch" (process) data that isn't entered ino the CPU. If the data resides on a USB thumb drive, and it's not plugged in, good luck processing it!

BTW, here's a pretty cool demo of how what we "hear" is influenced by visual input, based on prior visual experiences. This is an eye-opener for many people, as it shows just how complex and highly-variable our perceptive senses really are, and how what we hear and see is not always what we think it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsfidRq2tw

• Twitch
    Twitch
    When I see comments like, "God helps people make it thru their lives" or "if it makes them happy, how could it be bad?" the first thing that comes to MY mind is recognizing that as the SAME RATIONALE used by substance abusers to defend their drug-of-choice. And much like with crystal meth (which makes people VERY HAPPY temporarily, by all accounts), the way it can be dangerous and harmful to the user is in the SIDE-EFFECTS that potentially can result when we use any coping strategies which depend on an altered mental state that is either chemically-modified via exogenous sources (i.e. pharmacological agents) or endogenous (fantasies and delusions).

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say believers are akin to junkies and meth heads. I don't know why alcoholics aren't in the list though; it seems a most obvious and prevalent drug that affects far more people either directly or indirectly, and one that would fit the assertion just as easily.

I admire those whose beliefs give them a serenity in this world. I aspire to not caring that others don't believe as I do or even like what I believe. One day...lol

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

KSol said-There's always some who want to wax poetic about distant lands they've never discovered, as if bards, when they've never even left their own living room.

(Personally, every now and again, I wouldn't mind being poetically waxed in a distant land!!!(LOL) Sorry, Sol. That's the kind of Crack I smoke!!!)

• talesin
    talesin

It's not about the law of attraction. That would be a movie I've never watched (don't care for snake oil, thanks anyway) called "The Secret".

This is about string theory, etc.

• Twitch
  • King Solomon
    King Solomon

Twitch said:

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say believers are akin to junkies and meth heads. I don't know why alcoholics aren't in the list though; it seems a most obvious and prevalent drug that affects far more people either directly or indirectly, and one that would fit the assertion just as easily.

Note I did say "substance abusers", which includes alcohol. My point wasn't to present a comprehensive list of all possible substances of abuse (incredibly long list, BTW), but to point out the parallels in rationales offered. But sure, alcoholics of course use the same rationale ("I need it to get by", "it helps me to relax and calm myself", etc.)

Rip, I highly recommend a Brazilian Wax, in Rio, straight-up, no sedation!

Tal, don't be joining anymore cults now, you hear? (1) per life-time is plenty for anyone, so don't get greedy!

• talesin
    talesin

Twitch, the wiki link you provided says it best ....

Some ideas discussed in the film are:

• The universe is best seen as constructed from thought (or ideas) rather than from substance.
    • "Empty space" is not empty.
    • Matter is not solid. Electrons pop in and out of existence and it is unknown where they disappear to.
    • Beliefs about who one is and what is real are a direct cause of oneself and of one's own realities.
    • Peptides manufactured in the brain can cause a bodily reaction to emotion.

So, this is pseudo-science.

okay ....

And this is a general comment, not directed at you.

You know, it *is* possible to watch a film that presents facts, and leave the airy-fairy stuff behind.

Anyhow, I won't be commenting anymore ... as has been my habit lately, I grow weary of the constant derision and argumentative nature of this place.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Talisan, didn't mean to insult, just a heads up.

I grow weary of the constant derision and argumentative nature of this place.

I hear ya. It's to be expected though given the nature of what peeps are going though. Realize that opinions of you aren't really about you.

• talesin
    talesin

You didn't. It's just the way it *is* here. The film was a mixture of both, imho, and the heads-up is appreciated.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Tal- You can say and think whatever you want. The WT stifles thoughts and comments. On JWN you have freedom to express your thoughts.

Sometimes, people are less tactful than others. Some people make ~~~~'s. Don't mind it. Have your say.

~~~~~

Sol-(LOL) I will think about Rio and your suggestion of a Brazillian, "but", not the wax kind!! And there would be a lot of alcohol involved! : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit