12/15/12 Watchower Study Edition - Higher Eduction = Thinking in a "complicated" manner

by yourmomma 71 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I just ran seven randomly selected paragraphs from the current WT study article through an online Gunning Fog Index calculator.

This is a tool that tries to calculate the Gunning Fog Index. It is a weighted average of the number of words per sentence, and the number of long words per word. An interpretation is that the text can be understood by someone who left full-time education at a later age than the index.

I used 7 out of 17 paragraphs from the July 15, 2012 Watchtower article, “OF WHOM SHALL I BE IN DREAD?”

The results of my random test showed that this article could be understood by someone with a 10th grade education in the U.S.A.

Using a different on-line analytical tool that measured three different indices showed overall LOWER results:

Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text :
    Coleman Liau index :9.16
    Flesch Kincaid Grade level :8.35
    ARI (Automated Readability Index) :7.44

In general, these tests penalize writers for polysyllabic words and long, complex sentences.

The measure of readability used here is the indication of number of years of education that a person needs to be able to understand the text easily on the first reading.

At any rate, the average score is 8.77. So this means that, theoritically at least, the average American with only a 9th grade education could easily understand this WT lesson "easily on the first reading". No re-reading or deep abstract thinking required.

This is the WT's target demographic. And apparently they think that is too high in many cases or they wouldn't have come out with the simplified version. I haven't run one of those articles through these on-line analytical tools but that would be interesting.

WT: Don't think. Especially don't think abstractly. Just Listen, Obey and be Blessed!

There was a thread started on that subject when the Simplified WT TM came out.

Maybe I'll run one of those later. Could be informative!

00DAD

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!

The only reason I've ever needed to reread a watchtower article is because IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY GODDAMNED SENSE!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I agree that the "example" is made up.

However, I find other comments in the issue even more disturbing. Parents who complain about how "long and tiresome" it was to explain concepts and teach meaning to their children, or the elderly sister who compares it to a father telling his child a bedtime story. And this one is the real killer: picture caption "time spent looking up words and explaining expressions (i.e. expanding one's vocabulary) is now spent gaining an understanding of the cited scriptures and how they tie into the lesson (the interpretation of the GB/FDS)"

So not just dumbing down and making any type of higher education look unnecessary and worthless, it's also a tool to further the "don't think for yourself" agenda. REad and accept only the words of the GB/FDS. Do not look any scriptures up.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

MAMOCHAN13 - just reading that myself: appalling. I think you summed it up well.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, so I ran the same paragraphs through the same tools. Here are the results:

8.96 - Gunning Fog Index

7.17 - Coleman Liau Index

7.40 - Flesch Kincaid Grade Level

6.82 - ARI (Automated Readability Index)

=====================================

7.59 - Average

Keep in mind that these tools don't actually analyze the CONTENT of the prose, but only things like sentence length, word length, punctuation. A book by John Steinbeck that has deep, profound thoughts would rate relatively low because of his sparse writing style.

Nevertheless, it is surprising that the "Simplified Version" is not at that much lower of a reading level than the regular WT, only a little more than a year. Not sure what to make of that.

Things that make you go, "Hmmm!"

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Wow, that's some disturbing evidence, Mamochan....

And the really sad thing is that the ones who MOST need to understand that are also the ones LEAST capable of seeing it, for a variety of reasons (not just their intentionally-retarded analytical skills, but also the emotional blocks to 'seeing').

Further examples of "you can lead the horses to water, but you can't make them think if they don't want to..."

• processor
    processor

The German edition uses a different wording and calls it "an abstract, academic way of speaking".

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Guys, let's keep in mind that ABSTRACT THINKING abilities in children generally become fully developed during the " Formal operational stage " which is 11 - 16 years of age, but they begin developing in children as early as 5 or 6 years old!!!!

Abstract thinking is no big thing, but because most JWs haven't studied either child development or understand what "Abstract Thought" is, it is easy for the WT to make it sound bad and evil.

This is just another WT attempt at controlling the sheeple and keeping them dumb.

But I am noticing a pattern here. Most 10th Graders in the US are 15 or 16 years old at the end of the school year. This is also the upper range of the writing level of a typical WT Study Article. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The WT has gone on record again and again: They don't want JWs to go beyond about a High School education. They'd apparently prefer if that ended around 10th grade or even lower, but that would require taking on long established laws concerning mandatory, compulsory education.

It's just too dangerous for the WT if and when young ones develop more sophisticated Critical Thinking Skills.

But that is about to change in the US:

I am a high school teacher in the United States (14 - 18 year olds). This summer I attended a conference dealing with comprehensive changes coming in national teaching standards and methods. These changes, which are due to be implemented the 2013-2014 school year, are in response to this very problem of a lack of Critical Thinking Skills which has been revealed by years of standardized testing results. Generally speaking, our students are taught how to take and pass tests but not how to think. 1

One particularly telling set of data we looked at proved something that I have long suspected: the average high school graduate is not prepared to read, analyze and comprehend the types of documents that they will be required to read in most entry level jobs and in their personal lives as adults. In short, high school graduates are not prepared to successfully live in the adult world. (So what does that mean for the typical 11 - 16 year olds?)

The changes that are coming will require teachers to develop Critical Thinking and Literacy skill across all curriculum content. When I say, "literacy" I don't simply mean the ability to read. I mean we need to learn how to teach students to be able to read, analyze and comprehend a variety of written texts as well as the spoken word no matter what the subject. Additionally they need to be able to learn to analyze arguments that are presented, determine both strengths and weaknesses in the argument, assess the credibility of the source or sources used, interpret data and formulate counter-arguments and/or appropriate questions for further consideration. They should be able to distinguish between facts and speculation and be able to discern bias. Further, they need to be able clearly and concisely articulate what they have learned in both written and verbal forms using properly formatted and logically coherent means.

My colleagues and I were both excited by these changes (we've been "teaching to the test" for too long out of necessity) and more than a little anxious because we realize that, in spite of the fact that these are necessary and long overdue changes, this is one tall order!

It will be interesting to see how these changes, once implemented, will affect the JW youth. Perhaps this is why the WT seems to be subtly but noticeably pressuring young JWs to get baptized at an earlier age.

00DAD

================

1 - Teaching to the Test WT Style - In JW-land this is called a WT Study: Read a paragraph and it's corresponding question. Find the answer to the question in the paragraph. You may paraphrase your answer or read it verbatim, but absolutely do not analyze it, question it or point out any contradictions, logical errors or inconsistenties with other and/or prevoius WT doctrines, teachings, rules, regulations, policies or practices.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you for the info and links Dad. As a parent of teens and preteens I find the info you provided useful.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You're welcome MrsJones!

This is a huge subject!

Happy parenting.

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit