I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Min has totally abandoned his thread. He laid a fart and ran out of the elevator.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

so your argument is basically, "they did it so it's ok we did too!"

lol

and exactly what was your point about an xmas tree (pagan if i'm not mistaken)?

hmmm and easter....pagan if i'm not mistaken.

interesting images of pagan items...within the vatican

i see christmas trees and an obelisk...so exactly how is christianity any better than paganism? lmfao

also, thank you dgp for posting FACTS, the figres from carribean countries are even uglier when it comes to the loving kindness bestowed from the christians to the natives

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    i see christmas trees and an obelisk...so exactly how is christianity any better than paganism? lmfao

A Catholic will tell you there is nothing wrong with these things in and of themselves. That "if it came from pagan culture it is automatically evil" crap is a JWism. It does not apply elsewhere.

hmmm and easter....pagan if i'm not mistaken.

It is only called "Easter" in English. In other languages (like Spanish, or Latin) it is called Passover.

• dgp
    dgp

Dgp, you are saying that the Church is to blame for colonialism? And more so, XVI century colonialism? And based on that the current Vatican has to go?

you are saying that the Church is to blame for colonialism? And more so, XVI century colonialism?

HELL, YEAH! Ever heard about the Treaty of Tordesillas? You see, neither Spain nor Portugal had any right to take the lands they would discover. So the Pope, who was Spanish, decided that the world would be split among those two Catholic, God-Fearing Nations. Brazil would have been a lot smaller than it is today, but then Spain would have never set foot in the Phillippines. So, the two countries had "a divine right", and they used it. By the way, the Church never condemned slavery. The Portuguese were the largest slaveholders in the world, and the real guys behind the slave trade (besides the Muslim), but the Pope didn't say a word about that. What's more, slavery was never abolished in Brazil (where it was abolished only in 1888) for humanitarian reasons, but simply because slaves were expensive to maintain and coffee was booming. Coffee only needs lots of labor during the harvest; the rest of the time, it's just a few people. And Italians were starving, and were even cheaper than blacks. They could be hired only during the harvest and then left to starve the rest of the time. That would teach those unruly blacks a lesson. And there were more Italians in Italy.

The Catholic church justified virtual slavery saying the Indians were like children, that the Spanish and the Portuguese would convert to the True Religion. It was one of the largest landowners in the Continent (and guess who were the original owners?). If I remember well, something like 30% of the entire country of Mexico (which, by then was twice as large as it is today) was in the hands of the Church. So, are they to blame? Yeah. And for a lot more, like spreading idiotic ideas these days.

And based on that the current Vatican has to go?

I never said that.

About the birth rates, the countries with higher birth rates in the world are not the Catholic ones. Your point being?

My point being that, despite what the Pope says, Catholics use contraception even more than some non-Catholics. Is the church to blame for people having many children? These days, the answer in the overwhelming majority of the cases has to be a resounding no. And that simply because that is the truth.

By the way, I just learned about one case - my first- where a Catholic family wanted to have "all twelve apostles". Curiously enough, they are still of childbearing age, and the Lord hasn't sent any more disciples in later years. The youngest apostle is now old enough to be in high school. No Paul in that family. Are they using contraception? Would anyone assume that, if they were really obeying the Pope, the Lord would still be sending workers to the vineyard?

By the way, what is the fertility rate in the United States? According to the CIA Factbook,

2.06 children born/woman (2012 est.)

And only 23.9% of the people are Catholics. How come Catholic Puerto Rico has a lower fertility rate? Is the Pope to blame for the rate of Puerto Rico, or is he to blame for the rate in the United States?

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Dgp, first of all get your facts straight, all you are doing is bashing the Church.

For your information, slavery still exists today as does human trafficking, both in Europe and America, and nobody is doing much to stop it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    How come Catholic Puerto Rico has a lower fertility rate?

I'm thinking you meant to type birth rate.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well I think the Catholic Church is a little better than JWs,,Btw I was a Catholic for about 20 years before the JW indoctrinated me into their cult.

But I have no need to join any religion as this no longer has any appeal for me. Maybe if I was single and was looking for a date I might peruse the local religions and pretend interest to see what woman I could find but since I'm not single and in on need of fellowship of that sort i tend to stay away from organized religion.

• dgp
    dgp

I'm thinking you meant to type birth rate.

I meant fertility rate, and anyone can check that in the CIA Factbook.

These are the birth rates:

US: 13.68 per 1,000
    Puerto Rico: 11.26 per 1,000

By the way, here's another comparison. Brazil and Mexico are the countries with the largest Catholic populations in the world. These are their fertility rates compared to that of the United States:

Brazil: 2.16
    Mexico: 2.27
    US: 2.06

Let's compare age distribution and median ages: Both Mexico and Brazil have younger populations, yet they have similar fertility rates. I say this is because contraceptive use is just as frequent as in the United States, if not more.

Mexico:
    0-14 years: 28.2% (male 16,395,974/female 15,714,182)
    15-64 years: 65.2% (male 35,842,495/female 38,309,528)
    65 years and over: 6.6% (male 3,348,495/female 4,113,552) (2011 est.)

Median age:

total: 27.4 years
    male: 26.3 years
    female: 28.5 years (2012 est.)

Brazil:

0-14 years: 26.2% (male 27,219,651/female 26,180,040)
    15-64 years: 67% (male 67,524,642/female 68,809,357)
    65 years and over: 6.7% (male 5,796,433/female 7,899,650) (2011 est.)

Median age:

total: 29.6 years
    male: 28.8 years
    female: 30.5 years (2012 est.)

US:

0-14 years: 20.1% (male 32,107,900/female 30,781,823)
    15-64 years: 66.8% (male 104,411,352/female 104,808,064)
    65 years and over: 13.1% (male 17,745,363/female 23,377,542) (2011 est.)

Median age:

total: 37.1 years
    male: 35.8 years
    female: 38.5 years (2012 est.)

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

bts: i really couldn't care whether they bother celebrating that stff. lmao I'M trying to learn how to celebrate it lol

it all boils back down to this:

Maybe paganism was superior to the Bible. When Christopher Columbus arrived in America the Indians were practicing brutal human sacrifices. Maybe they should have been left alone.
    Pagan morals are also much more fun than the Christian ones, just don’t expect the same level of spiritual development or even trustworthiness from a temple prostitute, than from a Christian. If you extrapolate this to the type of society they produce, you can see clearly which one is superior to the other.

and the hipocrisy for a catholic to say the above when his own damn chrch is filled with pagan symbols and ripoffs.

as i've said, before, what people's beliefs are are there business. for most of my life i've believed the bs and nonsense that came from the watchtower bullshit and trash society until i saw the error of my ways.

what was said above though is unconscionable and jst plain disgusting, hence why i've been on my rants and i'm amuused at the backtracking bllshit and total misinformation that followed

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Early Christians kept evergreens in their homes to symbolize eternal life. I've read that several places.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit