I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Twitch, I find atheists silly, strange and weird. Also very intolerant.

• Twitch
    Twitch

apostate, you don't know many atheists, do ya? ;) I wouldn't say I'm intolerant of believers; my gf is catholic. She doesn't preach it, I don't try to change her. But some believers (or atheists) aren't tolerant, with this I would agree.

• dgp
    dgp

Flying:

About the birth control, there are millions of Roman Catholics all over the world who do abide by the Pope's orders. The sad thing is, a lot of them reside in 3rd world countries and cannot afford to have big families.

I was born in the Third World and still live there. Most people I know are of similar origin. I beg to differ with you as to the reason why most of them do not have big families. I am sure the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Italians, Catholic Germans, the French, the Poles, all can afford to have more children than the average number they have, but they don't. And the reason is the same as in Latin America: they just don't want to have many children. They also get married later because they want to have a career. The women don't really want to be housewives and nothing else.

What you're saying sounds to me as if Catholics had more children if only they could. It is not so.

I don't think most Catholics would think of what the Pope says as an "order". I believe you are in the company of the pious.

You know, I have a childhood friend who teaches Religion at a Theresian school. Her official position is that of "Educator in the Faith". She and her husband met at church, when they were both members of the youth movements there. They are still very active at church. They only have two daughters.

• Isidore
    Isidore

"What for? I've nothing to prove to them, or you. I gave an opinion, sorry if it bothers your ego. Well, not really sorry, lol

You on the other hand, seem to have an agenda here..."

Ego not bothered at all. Not all will hear Christ's voice. I do have an agenda. You are a child of God, and as such, I love you.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I like Catholics. If it weren't for the Catholic monks, we wouldn't have as good of a beer as we do today.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Isadore, if I wanted to, I could take communion at Mary Wood with Sister Julia's blessings. I wouldn't though, because I don't want to take communion where there is a closed policy. And you're right, I don't believe everything the RC teaches and apparently, a lot of RC's don't either. You can quote Orthodox bishops and I can quote them. I wasn't there during the Great Schizm. I just know that the Orthodox Church views the RC as the first to protest and leave the early church. It doesn't matter to me if the RC teaches that the Eastern Orthodox bishops left Rome.

This is a fairly reply by Anglican who try to rationalize that they are still part of the Apostolic succession. Of course a non-Catholic is going to amke this assertion. To do otherwise would give them a real intellectual dilemma.

Who rationalized that? You just pulled that out of your hat. The Roman Church doesn't have the apostolic succession monopolized though, now that you bring it up. I'm sure the Pope would love it if all Catholics and protestants believed that it does, but the fact is that not all Roman Catholics and protestants do. It matters a lot more to you than it does me, obviously. Your beliefs are important to you. I can respect that. I will say that the dogmatic clinging to the myth that the RC is God's church is another thing I find distasteful about the official church. I know enough Roman Catholics to know that not all of you believe that, when you get down to the brass tacks.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

I think all churches claim to be God’s church, not only the Catholics.

About people that don’t believe, the fact that you don’t held anything as sacred doesn’t mean that anyone else shouldn’t either.

Live and let live.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

From Ask a Franciscan:

Origins of the Celibacy Rule

Q: When did the Roman Catholic Church begin to require celibacy before a man could be ordained a priest? Why? Doesn’t this suggest that marriage is inferior to celibacy? Why doesn't the Roman Catholic Church allow a married clergy as do the Eastern Churches (Orthodox and Catholic)?

A: By itself, a decision to remain single could mean very different things (great selfishness, great generosity or inability to choose a spouse).

In Matthew 19:12, Jesus praises a celibacy practiced “for the sake of the Kingdom.” Optional, lifelong celibacy for men became more common with Egypt’s desert hermits in the third century. By the year 303, the Council of Elvira (southern Spain) had prohibited sexual intercourse between a married priest and his wife. By the mid-fourth century, marriage after ordination started to be prohibited.

There are various reasons—influence of cultic purity laws for Old Testament priests, possible conflict over inheriting Church property, the teaching of Jesus cited above and St. Paul’s teaching on celibacy (1 Corinthians 7:32-35).

The Orthodox Churches and Eastern Catholic Churches ordain married men as priests but select bishops from monks who have already made a lifelong promise of celibacy. A married priest who becomes a widower may not remarry.

The Second Lateran Council (1139) made celibacy mandatory for future priests in the Western Church.

In the last 40 years the Catholic Church has allowed some married, Protestant ministers to be ordained priests after they became Catholics. Most of these priests are not in full-time parish ministry.

In 1967 through his encyclical On Priestly Celibacy, Pope Paul VI reaffirmed the Catholic Church’s rule about this. Section 1579 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says that “accepted with a joyous heart celibacy radiantly proclaims the Reign of God.”

A gospel-based celibacy does not devalue marriage; it is another way of serving the Lord. What matters most for both vowed celibates and married people is generous faithfulness.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Aposta, I respect that people hold things as sacred. That doesn't mean I agree that the same things are sacred. There are things that the RC holds sacred that I hold sacred as well.

Put this into google search and you will find a lot about celibacy and church land ownership and inheritance rights for the heirs of priests.

celibacy mandate of priests 1139 and church land ownership

Hey, I learned about this from a Roman Catholic sermon by a Roman Catholic priest at a Roman Catholic mass.

• talesin
    talesin

Regarding the OP - strange and silly? or comforting?

I went to a funeral today. It's not the first I've attended in the Catholic Church.

The rituals are comforting, and give one time to think .... the beautiful songs .... the quiet procession of supplicants to take the host ... etc.

I was told at the wake, that the Church recently changed its policies on eulogies and singing of secular songs, saying they are inappropriate, but some parishes ignore this new order. Nothing is more beautiful, than a person playing guitar and singing while we reflect on our relationship with the person who has died.

Anyhow, I have always found that the funerals in Catholic Churches are the most beautiful, and when we all turn to each other and hug, shake hands, or whatever, and say 'peace be with you', it is a wonderful feeling.

I don't like organized religion ,,, I don't like the amassing of wealth, political machinations, etc., but understand why people belong ....

Life is not black and white,,, am I an atheist? Yes. Do I accept that many people aren't? Yes.

Do I feel the need to whitewash things I see as negative about ANY religion? No.

Can I see some of the good things, as well as what I dislike or abhor? Yes.

re: Nazis & RC Church

First, I want to say this.

It's not just JWS who feel this way about the Church, AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL COMMENTS, with specific examples of people I am personally acquainted with, born and raised in the Church. I am sick of posters like FHN making wild-ass claims that people like me are brainwashed JWS.

You know bloody well, FHN, that my thinking was deprogrammed while YOU were still warming a seat at the Kingdom Hall. So I would appreciate it if you would actually construct an argument instead of claiming that I (and others) still believe the BS taught by the JWS. It's wearing thin.

In the past 35 years, I have done MY OWN RESEARCH ON MANY TOPICS, so I say "Cofty's Law" to YOU and your constant pointing of fingers at others for still believing the lies of the JWS. It's boring, and lazy.

http://www.theholocaustexplained.org/ks3/responses-1933-1945/what-did-individuals-do/how-did-the-catholic-church-respond/

After the Nazis came to power in Germany, they signed an agreement ( Concordat ) with the Catholic Church whereby the Vatican would accept the Nazi government in return for the Nazis not interfering with the Catholic Church.

In 1939 Eugenio Pacelli was elected Pope Pius XII. As head of the Catholic Church during the war years, he signed the Concordat with Nazi Germany. The Catholic Church, as an organisation, did not protest against any of the anti-Jewish policies of the Nazi state.

The Pope believed that primarily it was his duty to save and look after Catholics. Nevertheless, in 1939, he did obtain 3,000 visas to Brazil for Jews who had been baptised In the belief that these people were now Christian. But the Nazis defined Jews racially , even though they had converted, and believed they were still Jews.

The Vatican knew of the murder of the Jews very early on, as they had religious representatives in all of the occupied countries. Certain individual priests saved Jews but the Church, as an official body, did nothing significant to save the Jews of Europe.

And this:

To the shame of my nation, MY people, Canada turned away 10s of thousands of Jews seeking refuge, and sent them back to perish in the ovens.

The USA only entered the war AFTER the attack on Pearl Harbour.

I consider these to be acts of collusion as well. Perhaps I should have defined the parameters of my comments more clearly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

~ Edmund Burke ~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit