New girl in town here for support

by joyfulfader 101 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome Joyfulfader. I read the first two pages. As far as evidence goes for JW freedom to remarry, your elders were toyal jerks, but no surprise there.
    Some (but not many) elders would simply have investigated why you think you are free and settled that you know and are answerable to God if you are wrong.
    But jerks have done you a bigger favor by aiding you to ways up to the truth about The Truth. (TTATT)

I hope we can help with the ptsd. Strength to you. I will read the rest of the pages today.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

thanks Poppers...i have been invited to 4 churches...a non denominational modern church, non rolling in the aisle pentacostal, liberal baptist and assemblies of god. have avoided such for the very reasons you mention. i do not want to trade one set of beliefs for another. i am a smart woman (despite the 39 yrs it took to find my freedom) and i have no intention of joining any organized religion until i am ok spiritually. my heart and spirituality are mine and mine alone. i will find the truth i need...i am positively sure of this. i am a determined, independent woman and am not about to give up.

• jgnat
  • PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Joyfulfader-So glad to see you are getting tons of support here. It is amazing how going to a KH gives a person panic attacks. Panic has happened to me for many years, and was induced by going to the KH, and the controling strictures of the WTBTS.

It really is quite astonishing what the elders can and do get away with, I've seen it with my own two eyes too, though never really experienced the total lack of love you have. Whatever happen to "Love hopes all things, believes all things"? For them to call in the accounts servant to review whether or not you forged the letter from your ex takes the cake for wicked thinking, much less shows just how much the elders don't apply love believing all things, especially from someone trying to play by their rules.

Wishing you all the best.

• jws
    jws

When I was married, my ex was going through some things and thought we should start going to a church. ie that god was punishing her in some way or at least not blessing her and if we went to church, all our problems would be solved.

So we went on a round, trying different churches over a few months. Mostly non-denominational. Even tried a Lutheran one because that's what my grandparents were. None I really liked. Lutherans seemed identical to Catholics. To me at least. A lot of quaint rituals. And whereever we went, it's SO different than the JWs. Not necessarily bad or good, but different. Some bad, some good.

I wanted to hear what they had to say so I could see whether this was going to be a belief I wanted to accept or not. But it's not like the JWs. I found doctrine to be a bit shallow. It's not like when we studied Watchtowers and got into it. It was little sprinklings of belief here and there. Maybe that was the nature of "non-denominational". While I wanted to hear more, often times they'd have these extended musical breaks where somebody would perform. Like 20-30 minutes it seemed. Some churches seemed more about the music and singing than the actual sermons.

And that is another thing. This new-agey Christian music some of them play. Ugh. I grew up on hard rock and blues. Couldn't stand this stuff. So wimpy, so bland, so lacking of soul. I personally would rather have some old timey hymns or even some of the old JW songs than that stuff. Or a gospel choir that kind of rocked. And you see the church politics at work. Some member loves it. Or always wanted to be up on stage singing and playing and their instrument and this is their chance to feel like a star. So they push for it.

In the end, none of it seemed good. We were taught there's no Trinity and to worship God, not Jesus and I still believed that. And every one seemed to be against what I still believed at the time.

Don't mean to pry and if you don't want to answer, don't. But it sounds from your stories like somebody had it in for you specifically. Not believing your ex was living with somebody else? I mean, he disappeared not you. He was the inactive one, why didn't they believe you, the one that stuck around? And why was there a public argument that seemed to center on you?

Did you do something to piss somebody off? Turn somebody down for a date and then he had it in for you and influence with the elders too? I've heard tales like that on this board before.

I know about people carrying grudges. I always had a worldly side to me that equaled my good JW side. Nothing really "bad", just not following all the "a good christian might want to avoid..." things. And I think people wanted my brother and I to conform more or be punished for worldly things we did (concerts, beer, rock music, working out, going to college, etc.) But their trying to make us change didn't work. So they avoided us and we still didn't seem bothered by it. So it got worse and some people were downright hateful of us it seemed.

Congregations can be different though. Depends on the elders in charge. Some congs would disfellowship and make people wait at least a year before being reinstated. I heard of others reinstate after a couple of months. Blue-collar areas seem worse. These elders are peons in real life and then they get to be boss when they are elders and don't know how to handle the power.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

@jws- I totally expect to feel the same way about churches esp the kinetic one my friend at work invited me to. The music she shared from her ipod was surprisingly heavier than the bland christian bands i have heard. lots of guitar and bass. Not bad. But i really think that the music is all the church is about so leaning toward the not going. Its interesting that you ask if someone had it out for me. My experiences involved 2 separate congregations. In the first scenario my ex was one of them...a recently appointed elder so i dont think they wanted to believe that he was doing what he was doing since he was "appointed by holy spirit" by them while he was living a double life of drugs, alcohol and women. I was easy to find. I was right there and by disfellowshipping me they could appear to be being proactive about a public situation. I suppose in their eyes i was the easy prey since my ex disappeared. I cannot say what caused the second...except maybe the matchmaking elder on a power trip realized he should get out of the business of matchmaking after he matched several disatrous relationships and mine was one of the public disasters so he had to save face by villianizing me and I was told that as an attractive woman i was trouble. What??? What was so horrible about that situation was that the entire body of elders was divided and the congregation suffered and the disunity led to one bad thing after another with other people after I left. But as I was told by someone, i can be the scapegoat because i dont go anymore. Let them think that. I can stand before God and hope there is a recording of all events during that time and feel good about my actions as a Christian. This is another time that my motto of telling the truth no matter what because lies are too hard to keep straight comes in handy. No matter how a question is worded, no matter when...the answer wont change because i dont have to think about what i said to whom. When I realized truth is not important to them that was my cue...never go back.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I agree that rereading the Bible without the preconceived notions is an essential and worthwhile part, daunting as it may seem with all the branding of my brain.

That's partly what led me to learn TTATT! And it all happened so innocently. I started to read the NWT Bible by itself without WT publications, thinking that it would be better to read all of it first and then the publications. Then I started looking up scriptures I didn't understand in other Bible translations (I thought it would help me out in field service to know how translations differed). Most of the time that's all it took to understand a difficult passage or verse. I mainly used biblegateway.com and bible.cc. The latter is my favorite because it also has Bible commentaries. So as I compared translations on bible.cc, I also read the commentaries to see what 'christendom's' interpretation was. Well, I was shocked when I found them easier to understand than WT interpretations. Just read the explanation in the commentaries for the other sheep verse, for example, and you'll know what I mean. As a witness I found it hard to believe that the 144,000 number hadn't be sealed in two-plus millenia.

• jws
    jws

I was told that as an attractive woman i was trouble.

I suspected you might be good looking. Sometimes grown men can act like a bunch of teenage boys when it comes to a pretty woman.

I've seen it all the time. Throw a pretty female into a closed group and trouble will start. Not because the girl did anything wrong. But watch other people react. Some will lust for her. Sometimes their wives or girlfriends will pick up on this and hate her instead of their boyfriends who are lusting. Or the other women will be plain jealous to begin with because she's prettier. Women can be so catty and the worst enemies of other women sometimes. Yet pretend to be best friends when face to face. Because of their own insecurities, they will villianize the beautiful woman. Don't tell me some of these elders weren't influenced by opinions their wives had of you.

And especially in a relgious situation, some of the guys don't know how to handle their attractions. If they are turned on by you and they are thinking impure thoughts, you must be the one to be punished. These types always assume the pretty girl is at fault. Not to say she can't be. But you sound very honest and good hearted. Honest, good hearted, and attractive? Where did you say you lived? Just kidding. Don't reply to that.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

@ Aware! - thanks for the tips. I will look that one up (as well as others). It seems best to just go back to the basics. Read the bible. It shouldn't have to be this difficult. @ jws - I want to say I was in no way trying to give myself a compliment but women can be very insecure. I have to say that I have never understood the cattiness...there are some way more attractive women out there but that is great for them. Very jr. high-like. I was always so conscious about the length of my skirts and the modesty of my clothing. I really was trying to be the best witness I could be. Giving talks and demos at the very last of the last minutes, reg pioneering as a single mom, really trying my best to follow the rules so my daughter and I would live in paradise. Now I live for now until otherwise notified...

• Ding
    Ding

I started to read the NWT Bible by itself without WT publications, thinking that it would be better to read all of it first and then the publications.

In the 1980s a number of JWs at Bethel started studying Romans and Galatians without any WT literature.

They were shocked at how different the message was from WT dogma and its isolated proof texts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit