New girl in town here for support

by joyfulfader 101 Replies latest jw experiences

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

WHen I get nervous about thinking on my own as opposed to how I was indoctrinated as a child, I do this:

Step #1) I read my (mental) list of Top Stupid Truths the Watchtower taught. (eg. Black men are going to turn white after Armegheddon).

Step #2) Take deep breath and think to myself, "I can do a better job, and I didn't even include such major things like UN, pedophilia, blood fractions, Generation changes"

Step #3) Straighten my spine, suck in my gut, and say to myself, "You silly Skeeter. You gonna do ok."

Skeeter

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

@ skeeter- your #1 struck a nerve because my best friend's grandmother who i considered my own was sure black persons were in no way going to make it into the new world. to her it was against nature and the funny thing is, she had 2 friends who supported and cared for her as she got older who were black. quite an absurd assumption and rude to say in front of friends but then how often are jws known for their tact. and that reminds me of my dad's favorite definition of tact...tact is the ability to tell a person to go to hell in such a way that they anticipate the trip :)

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

If it's any consolation, I once read a court case written decades ago. It was on segregation. One of the esteemed justices wrote an argument for segregation. it went something like this. "God made Africa for the black man, Asia for the yellow man, and Europe for the white man. Since God segregated, men had the divine right to segregate." Of course, he failed to note that North America was for the red man, and the black, yellow, & white man should have respected that. The justice's opinion (and the old Watchtower) just shows how "men" thought at the time. But, should a devinely inspired, handpicked organization that calls itself the Truth have made such a wild accusation?

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Well fortunately we have figured out it is not divinely inspired nor is it handpicked for anything but its own demise

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Just like Santa, the Truth isn't real? But, they made me say it was the "Truth" so much as a little kid that I began to totally beleive it was THE Truth.

I spoke with a psychologist about leaving a cult after having been raised in it. He asked me if I felt like a stranger in a strange world? I did and do to this day. We are now on the "forbidden" outside. We don't have a "normal" on which to fall back on. People who were not raised in the Truth, at least have a "before the Truth" idea of the real world to fall back on.

Here's your homework, joyfulfader. Watch the movie, "The Truman Show."

Skeeter

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Welcome to the board joyful fader.

I left at 37 years old, and haven't looked back. Dont regret the lost years. Life holds out many wonderful things. Just dont be afraid to seize them.

Enjoy your life.

• jws
    jws

I can understand your anxiety at looking outside of the JWs. After all, we were brought up to think that we were in a safe haven and everything outside of that haven was dangerous. That's where Satan lurked and was always trying to lure us out where he can turn us away from God.

But you can take a look at a lot of stories here about how happy people are now after leaving. You yourself are happier. It doesn't sound like the world portrayed at assemblies where life outside was miserable and those who left longed to come back.

I was scared too. Scared of being tricked away from the Truth(tm). But one thing I always kept in mind was that real truth should have nothing to fear from debate or arguments against it. Truth should hold up on its own. Either the "apostate" information can be proved wrong or it can't. And that's up to you to decide. I know I was always curious about "apostate" literature because I knew that surely they could be proved wrong. I was instead.

You're reading COC and much of what is presented is things the WTBS published themselves. Their own literature is one of their worst enemies. And that's not made up stuff by "apostates", that's their own publications that you can find and read for yourself.

Consider this. Take a JW who died 50 years ago, believing what the Society taught then. If Armageddon happened tomorrow and they were resurrected, they'd be considered an apostate by today's beliefs. C. T. Russell himself would be considered an apostate to modern JWs even if you took away the wacky pyramidology stuff. How could his organization have been "chosen" by Jesus if it were teaching all that apostate stuff? If the resurrection was/is real, there'd be a lot of apostates coming back. So why not any of us who don't believe exactly what the Society does right now?

As a side note, the Bible Students are still around. And by that, I don't just mean people who study the Bible, I mean C.T. Russell's Bible Students. Not all of them followed Rutherford and became Jehovah's Witnesses. A website for the North Seattle Bible Students exists, nsbible.org. They have online versions of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures if you don't trust Ray Franz's quotes and want to see for yourself. Or explore things Franz didn't quote. It's way different from what JWs believe today. As a JW I remember having the impression it was only slightly different.

All I can say is that many of us were where you are at, fearful of what we might find and what it might do to us. And this may or may not be comforting, but what we found lead us away from the JWs. With rare exception, most of us are glad we did and that the rest of our lives are free of them. In a few years, you'll wonder how you could ever put up with living the life of a JW again.

And not all of us land in the same place. Some end up Catholics after all the propganda the JWs taught us about them. Some even go back to the JWs. What is the path to follow from here on out is difficult to say and very individual. But we know what is the wrong path. The one we came from.

I struggled with this. There's so many different beliefs. And the Bible doesn't make it any easier because it says things in different places that can be used to support opposite viewpoints. No matter what form of Christianity you believe, I believe you'd have to squint or glance over certain verses to support your belief system. Or like the Witnesses do, come up with some convoluted excuse why words in print don't mean the words in print. Figurative vs. literal is one and there are other ways.

And if there is a God, what about all these nice, good-hearted, sincere people in other religions? I came to believe it doesn't matter. If there is a God and there is a reward, as long as you believe in him and live a good life, what God would deny you of a reward?

If God is our Heavenly Father, think of what you would do as a parent. You love your kid(s) unconditionally. You wouldn't deny them an inheritance just because they didn't see eye to eye with you on a few things. Especially if they were overall a good person. You might even love them unconditionally and reward them no matter what they grow up to be. Can a mere human have a greater capacity to love than God?

I don't think it matters where you land as long as you're a good person. You could even land back in the JWs, IMO. But the key is once you know it's false and sometimes dangerous to you and your mental health, could you go back?

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Well, somehow my iPad just started allowing my to type my response in a normal fashion without having to jump through hoops to do so and then ending up with one loooong paragraph. I have to say I am not afraid of what I might find during this search. I have had nothing but good things happen in the sense that I feel validated. The doubts I had were verified as being true. I think I am more afraid of what I won't find. That being the answers I think I need to combat the ones in my head that I KNOW are not true. I am not interested in adopting another set of beliefs in an exchange. I see organized religion as a war-torn country filled with land mines ready to explode at any minute. There is no safety in organized religion as far as I am concerned at this moment in time. As a parent I knew long ago that as an imperfect person, I love my child way too much to want her to be as miserable as most people are in "the truth". I started having doubts then but shoved them under the rug so to speak for 15 yrs. My daughter was born very premature and it was then that just the little thing about not celebrating birthdays started to bother me. Then just a couple of years ago I went to a lavish anniversary party for a couple that used to be in the traveling work. During the prayer the brother thanked Jehovah for being able "to celebrate His gift of marriage". In a split second DURING the prayer my head sort of popped up in dismay...why can we have lavish parties with gifts given, honoring people (with a big cake!!!) celebrating God's gift of marriage when we can't celebrate the gift of life itself??? For some parents, each year is a milestone that they are told their child will never reach. Each year...each moment is a gift and that cannot be celebrated according to a group of men in NY but they can celebrate marriage when most get divorced...I was determined then to leave after that icing on the cake (literally and figuratively). My mental health is too precious to me and I will never go back. Am I a better person now because I left? I don't think so because I still have my own values and I like me overall. I am just now better able to be a good person to more people without the cloud of lies swirling about my head. The fog is beginning to lift.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Hmmmmm...so much for avoiding the loooong paragraph. My iPad faked me out!!

• jws
    jws

Yeah, that birthday vs. anniversary thing got to me too. My parents always told me that it was a focus on something two people accomplished together and had to work at, not just living another year. I guess that might be more honorable, but that doesn't mean birthdays shouldn't be celebrated anyway.

My kids were both born after I was a JW. So no issues there. Every year, when we celebrate their birthdays, I think how fortunate they are that they get to have parties. And to see how happy and excited they are, how could a parent deny this?

I hear from my ex-JW niece that my JW-sister even participates. Sort of. My sister and her husband always buy their grandchildren a gift. But they don't give it on their birthdays. It might be a week before and they'll claim it has nothing to do with the upcoming birthday. Same thing for Christmas. By chance, my sister and I were in Orlando at the same time and we went to Disney World together. My sister kept on visiting the shops looking for costume bits because her granddaughter "wanted to dress up like a princess". And this is in late October. OMG! My sister was helping her granddaughter assemble her Halloween costume!

Although I can see some of the points the JWs make. For my ex and the other moms in her mom's club, it seemed like a competition. It was never just come over and play and we'll have cake at home. No, it always had to be some elaborate thing. Renting out someplace with some sort of activity that ends up costing $200-$300, like Build-a-Bear, gynmastics places, a Little Chefs party, and other play places. And then we're making up goody bags to give to the other kids. I don't know if that's local. Never heard of it up north. Add cake and your own presents, you could be up to $400 or $600. For a 3 year old's party that he/she is never going to remember anyway. Now when they're older and ask for this or that place, it's different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit