Why reincarnation doesn,t make sense.

by jam 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I could not sleep at night if I believed in reincarnation.

The thought of my mother-in-law returning would make me sleep with one eye open every night.

Rub a Dub

• earthfire
    earthfire

I've found comfort in the belief that we are all one. One with everything in the universe. Our lives here in the physical are an illusion created by Life (God) to learn more about Life (God). If you consider that every single being on the planet whether it's a human, animal, tree we all see life from a different point of view. Even if we were all in the same room witnessing the same event, we will see it and understand it from our view point. It may trigger a memory in me and make you have a completely different experience. When I think of the scripture that says "you are my witnesses" this is what I think of. So in the end we are individual aspects of God. Since everything is energy, and energy never ceases to exist, then we must all be energetically one.

• poppers
    poppers

Nice post, earthfire. In a sense, we "evolve" into knowing/seeing/realizing we are one with all. It's the appearance of separation that is to been seen through. The "perspective" of what appears to be an individual is how Life views itself. When that perspective believes itself to be a separate and distinct entity the door has been opened to experience fear and suffering. So the ultimate outcome of reincarnation is the overcoming of this illusion of separation.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

It doesn't seem logical to me.

Could reincarnation be real? I suppose it could be, just like there could be an invisible super being somewhere out there.

I kind of like the idea that there can be old and young souls among us. Souls that continue to learn and somehow retain a bit of their wisdom each time they are born.

Probably better suited for a novel or a movie than reality though. It's fun to speculate though.

The Oracle

• Etude
    Etude

Re-incarnation was invented for the same reason resurrection was invented. It is a way to provide meaning to the apparent futility of living lives that are going to end permanently. I suppose it's difficult for many people to be aware in and of life in such a great way only to face the prospect that it will all end in one gigantic grammatical period-end of sentence.

At least with resurrection you get to comeback as yourself. But, since there aren't too many people around that have returned to tell about it, resurrection has always been deferred to some remote future, filling up people with hope.

For a more immediate reward, reincarnation can explain those nagging moments of déjà-vu and more or less confirm that we existed before, thereby reinforcing the idea. But the scheme needs to be more elaborate in order to explain the reason why we need to come back in the first place as signifying more than just our whim to want to go on in a meaningful way. So we need to invent a purpose for reincarnation: to "refine" the soul (thereby inventing the soul); to learn the correct "life lessons"; to correct and atone for the wrongs we made; etc -- all the things we wish would have done in the first place.

I don't know how true this is, but many cultures that believe in reincarnation also think that one can come back as a fly or a cow. This is one of those "lessons" that reincarnation supposedly teaches us. It's like a cosmic Santa Claus saying that if you were bad, you get to come back as a cockroach. The forces that control that selection must have a hell of sense of humor.

Since very little consciousness seems to come back at reincarnation, what part of us does the learning and gets a do-over? That's rather nebulous for most of us. It may be some core emotional center or some fundamental ethical repository that makes us who we are. Well, devoid of personality, I don't see how that makes us individuals. It would then seem that if anything comes back, it's up for grabs by the first fetus that encounters it.

OK, let's say that some personality sneaks through in reincarnation. But that would also include memories. Well, there's your déjà-vu, the kind Shirley McLain has had so many of. Damn, I must be dead now 'cause I've never had any of those. I wonder if any members of a primitive tribe in the heart of the Amazon jungle have ever felt that they once were a Marquis at the court of Luis Philippe I back in 1835 France.

• jam
    jam

Etude: "some personality sneak through in reincarnation

including memories." Why would some have life memories,

but most don,t"? Do only some reincarnate but not others?

What if a fetus is born, but no souls want to enter it? Then what?

Wouldn,t all souls want to be born into a beautiful rich family

with a good life? Who would choose to be born in a war torn

country in poverty. Do souls even get a choice? If not, then

who chooses? Since the world population 30 years ago was

half of what it is today, where do all the "extra souls" come

from? Are they new souls? Just wondering....

• Gayle
    Gayle

well, if reincarnation was really true, we all must have been pretty bad in our previous life to have to come back here and be born in JW families and life and then have to go through deprogramming, still impacting our lives!!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Good point Gayle.

Perhaps this is our final test, though.

Next time we come back as rays of sunshine, completing our transformation back to pure energy.

Wow, did that ever sound nerdy.

• jam
    jam

Gayle: Good point, LOL...

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Talesin said:

It would certainly explain why we are born 'knowing' some things, which we have no business knowing! :D

Huh.... Can you give just ONE example of a thing we're born 'knowing'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit