a different person is involved, and that person has not

technically experienced reincarnation.

One other question, if one takes his own life will he

or she be reincarnated? If so that create A whole set

of new problems. Massive suicide, no one would reach

an age of 40 and above.

• james_woods
    james_woods

My old lady is a Bhuddist, and as I understand her view of this: It is not really taken literally. It is more of a warning lesson - sort of like "be good, or Santa Claus will give you a lump of coal in your Christmas stocking". (i.e. - be good or you will come back as a cricket)

Many modern-day Bhuddists view much of the religion as non-literal myth, but revere it as still being excellent philosophy.

I personally view it more as a life-philosophy than a traditional religion.

• talesin
    talesin

Love this topic. Reincarnation is an interesting dogma (correct word? not sure).

It would certainly explain why we are born 'knowing' some things, which we have no business knowing! :D

However, I feel as you do ... it's not . quite . logical.

What I have come to understand from this belief system, is this ....

(that is; how it is explained, and I don't subscribe to this, just 'splainin' what I have learned from reading and discussion)

There are many schools of thought when it comes to reincarnation, just as there are many forms of, for example, Christianity.

Here's one:

In each 'life' on earth, we learn lessons, and the 'soul' (or however ever else that term is defined by any particular sect/person) becomes more enlightened by learning lessons in each life.

Even though we may not know about our 'past lives', we are learning a lesson in 'this' life, that we need to learn in order to reach the next higher level of enlightment, as a never-ending essence, or soul.

That is to say, and just as an example of how a believer in reincarnation might think:

Perhaps this life has been a constant series of unfortunate events which forced us to recognize that we are not in control - the lesson? Humility.

That is one school of thought on reincarnation, as I see it.

I prefer to go with science. We now know that there alternate universes, so the possibilities are endless. Dream? Make up stories? Sure ... but just know that science tells us that right now .... we do not know.

Einstein said (to paraphrase), that one of the true marks of a scientist was the ability to acknowledge .... I do not know. Sagan agreed, and wrote a book on it. Humility leads to curiosity, which ultimately, leads to scientific discoveries!

That is my perspective on the OP. :))

xo

tal

• sir82
    sir82

Seems like you'd get more knowledgeable answers if your questions were directed to a Hindu or a Buddhist website, as opposed to an ex-JW site.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

My take on reincarnation is much like that of Wallace McRae :

Here is a poem

Reincarnation

"What does Reincarnation mean?"
    A cowpoke asked his friend.
    His pal replied, "It happens when
    Yer life has reached its end.
    They comb yer hair, and warsh yer neck,
    And clean yer fingernails,
    And lay you in a padded box
    Away from life's travails."

"The box and you goes in a hole,
    That's been dug into the ground.
    Reincarnation starts in when
    Yore planted 'neath a mound.
    Them clods melt down, just like yer box,
    And you who is inside.
    And then yore just beginnin' on
    Yer transformation ride."

"In a while, the grass'll grow
    Upon yer rendered mound.
    Till some day on yer moldered grave
    A lonely flower is found.
    And say a hoss should wander by
    And graze upon this flower
    That once wuz you, but now's become
    Yer vegetative bower."

"The posy that the hoss done ate
    Up, with his other feed,
    Makes bone, and fat, and muscle
    Essential to the steed,
    But some is left that he can't use
    And so it passes through,
    And finally lays upon the ground
    This thing, that once wuz you."

"Then say, by chance, I wanders by
    And sees this upon the ground,
    And I ponders, and I wonders at,
    This object that I found.
    I thinks of reincarnation,
    Of life and death, and such,
    And come away concludin': 'Slim,
    You ain't changed, all that much.'"

Peace,
    Chris-

• talesin
    talesin

j_w

That is how my Buddhist friends see it - of a certain school (they chant, and I can't remember the name, darn).

Here, Shambala Buddhism is a prominent religion (it's the one that the monk in Kung Fu, played by David Carradine, followed - Shambala Warrior, yes! Buddhist warriors,,, haha, there is much to learn, Grasshopper).

The headquarters for that sect of Buddhism is here (it is Tibetan, and the prince -yes a prince :P- has grown up in exile), and they actually believe that reincarnation is a process of steps leading to the highest form of enlightenment. They practice 'mindful meditation', which is quite different from the other kinds (eyes are open, no chanting, and various other variants).

The friends I have who chant, seem to have a different kind of peace. They are very grounded in the modern world, and seek to be outspoken, direct, and unbendingly truthful (lol, is that a word? unbendingly .. oh well!). This is tempered with a great sense of humility (which works well when mixed with a healthy ego) and genuine love, which expresses itself in a true desire to come to a common understanding of the reality of life.

I enjoy and appreciate this attitude, although I do not subscribe to their belief system. It promotes trust and enjoyment of living in the 'now'.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

sir82

I think that it's a good question to be asked here, and also on a Buddhist site (or some other place, such as starseeds or other believers).

Great comment ... just sayin' :P

Here, we can share our research, thoughts and feelings, as exJWs. On a site where there are practicing believers in reincarnation, we can learn about how they really see it.

It's always good to learn as many viewpoints as possible, while we are forming our own.

Can I quote Walt Whitman again?

Re-examine all you have been told ... Dismiss what insults your Soul.

tal

• jam
    jam

Well said talesin; "Here, we can share our research, thoughts

and feelings as exJWs on a site where there are practicing

believers in reincarnation. We can learn about how they

really see it. Would you recommend someone to go to

the offical site of JW,s to learn about thier cult.

Timebandit: nice Poem

James-woods;interesting, "view much of the religion as

non-literal myth."

• talesin
    talesin

jam

You asked this:

Would you recommend someone to go to

the offical site of JW,s to learn about thier cult.

To my non-JW friends who are wondering about how they (JWs) explain their belief system?

Of course!

[ EDIT: PS,,, there's nothing like reading crazy, to help you see how crazy it is! ]

It seems to me, that when we are examining other beliefs/cultures ... or anything ... it's good to look at all sides of the argument, critically, before forming an opinion.

t

MORE EDIT: I would also direct them to JWFACTS, and other websites, like Randy Watter's, to gather information. OF COURSE!

• poppers
    poppers

First of all why would the soul come back? What does

this accomplish?

To learn lessons that are essential to progressing/evolving into a more loving entity.

The situation which surround the soul

change with each life, therefore how does this allow

us to deal with past circumstances.

Ever notice how your "problems" follow you wherever you go? Same thing. The lessons to be faced and overcome can arise in different circumstances, so the important thing is to meet them and overcome them in whatever situation they arise during the current physical life.

He or she comes

back in a different body, with a different brain; therefore

a different person is involved, and that person has not

technically experienced reincarnation.

You are assuming that what you are is limited to the physical mechanism of body/brain. What you are, according to religions that teach reincarnation, is something that transcends those, and the body/brain is just the interface mechanism with the physical world. The deeper "essence" of you is untouched by the physical world, but it's the physical world that is the "playing field" in which the "spirit" (for lack of a better word) learns to face and overcome those lessons which will help it evolve back to unity with its source.

One other question, if one takes his own life will he

or she be reincarnated? If so that create A whole set

of new problems.

Suicide is a way of avoiding facing the lesson being faced, so yes, one would reincarnate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit