Anonymous Message to Watchtower

by jwleaks 343 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cedars
    cedars

jamesmahon...

The NSPCC report is on convicted pedophiles and is not directly comparable to this situation

That's a HUGE climbdown from your earlier expressed stance, but welcome nonetheless.

By community notification all I and the report means is informing the community of the names of molestors.

No. Again, in the context of the report, "community notification" is notification of the community BY THE AUTHORITIES of CONVICTED paedophiles. The proposed action by Anonymous is not the same. Firstly, Anonymous are not "authorities", and the people on the list are not "convicted". Those two elements completely dessimate your assertions that the NSPCC report is somehow applicable in this instance.

Accusing someone of child molestation is not just like accusing them of being a thief. It can destroy their lives.

Yes, which is why the Watch Tower Society should have given more consideration to setting up an illicit paedophile database in the first place.

I'm a dad and the thought that someone would one day throw that accusation at me makes me feel ill because I have seen you are tarred for life in the eyes of many and your family suffers as much as you do. And no I am not on the list (as far as I am aware).

You're entitled to react that way, but I would argue that nobody should "feel ill" who is not on that list.

As stated before the Scottish Children's Commission are so concerned about men accused of abuse remain anonymous before conviction that they have been lobbying the government up here for at least 6 years to try to get the law changed. This is because on balance they feel that the loss to children from not having men volunteer to do activities with them outweighs any potential reduction in risk from naming people accused.

If you feel you're one step ahead of the law, then that's your business.

Releasing the list will protect children in congregations. You know - I am inclined more to agree that there are some situations where this will happen.

That's not what you said originally - another U-turn. Originally you said that not ONE CHILD would benefit from the leak.

Unless they are convicted they will just find somewhere else to abuse.

How can they be convicted unless the list is leaked? Shouldn't this be left in the hands of the authorities?

If the police cannot monitor convicted molestors when they have their names plastered all over the community then what hope that this will stop a molestor just changing identity and trying a different ploy?

The police stand a much better chance of monitoring molesters ONCE they are convicted, and at the moment they are "underground" (as you would put it) precisely because of the secrecy policies of the Watch Tower Society. Whatever the molester tries to do to evade the authorities once he is convicted is for the authorities to worry about. They should at least be allowed the opportunity to keep his behavior in check. Please read my above response in more detail, because (hopefully) I've already made this abundantly clear.

But granted, the children in a specific congregation may be safer. I am just arguing that on balance unless they are convicted they will just find other victims.

So you admit you were wrong in at least one of your earlier assertions? And again, they can never BE convicted if their identities are kept secret on a secret database.

Releasing the list will result in convictions. Not unless the victims go to or are willing to work with the police it won't.

Don't be silly. Once the list is made public, being "convicted" won't be "optional" on the part of the molester. More flawed logic.

Are Anonymous going to go through all 23000 records and make sure that victims or accusers cannot be identified? Because if they cannot be identified there is little the police can do. An anonymous complaint is not going to be admissable in court. So really the only way this can result in convictions is if the full list with the names of the accusers are given over to the police and the victims are ready and want to come forward (and not just upset that this has been dragged up)

This comment makes absolutely no sense at all. Please clarify.

Releasing the list will cause damage to the watchtower. The existence of the list is in the public domain. The Conti case and the silent lambs website is in the public domain. There have been documentaries here and in the UK about the WTBTS policy on child abuse. Most people associate JWs with not celebrating Christmas, pestering them at the door and letting their children die for want of a blood transfusion. More bad publicity is not going to be good for them and like I said I think it would be great if they could actually get some increminating documents about the policy. Just do not see how releasing the list will do anything but minimal damage compared to the damage done to even one innocent man.

You're entitled to your opinion. But if you don't think a successful raid on the Watch Tower Society by Anonymous resulting in 20,000+ paedophiles being named and/or criminally apprehended WON'T receive huge publicity and make the organization look bad, thereby making them hemhorrage members, you're living in another reality entirely. I don't even need to argue that one.

I think you need to have a look at some sites about the process over here when someone is accused of sexual abuse. A guy in our village and his wife looks after his grand daughter because his daughter-in-law is a junky and son works away from home. A couple of years back his daughter-in-law and her mother wanted the child back so accused him of abusing his grand daughter (two witnessess anyone). The girl was taken into foster care for a week while he was investigated. She used to come into school every day with the social worker in tears. After the week from hell they decided there were no grounds whatsoever for the accusation and gave her back. But the case remains open because they never close an abuse case. And the hearings were all behind closed doors. There are still people that will not let their kids go to his house because of the accusation. That is the reality.

And this story is supposed to make it magically preferable that thousands of pedophiles go on abusing children undetected?

Sorry, last few points went on. But these are complex issues which is why care needs to be taken - especially as these are just accusations collected by elders for goodness sake.

Which is exactly how they will be viewed once the list is released - but at least the authorities will have something to go on.

In all though I think the agreements we have - especially the last two of those bullets - far outweigh the disagreements.

I'm glad you think that, but as far as I can see, the only thing you've climbed down on is the "one child" claim. Apart from that, if you think the negatives of this outweight the positives, then we couldn't be MORE in disagreement.

Just because I think it will do more harm does not make me an apologist of any kind, an idiot or have flawed logic. We just don't know and there are arguments both ways.

...and so far you seem to be the only one making them. I refuse to judge you as an apologist, but you are certainly sounding like one. I say this because apologists tend to push their arguments continuously rather than simply have their say and leave it at that. And you DO have flawed logic, as you appear to have admitted over the "one child" argument, which you have now apparently dropped.

Cedars

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I am not worked up over this. I am not the one who has thrown out about as vile insults and insinuations that you can get (other than having a retaliatory dig at outlaw) and accused anyone here of being on another planet or having useless logic. I have just tried to present a different side to this and point out the unintended consequences. Verbose and wordy yes, worked up no.

NSPCC have got in touch by the way. Email attached:

NSPCC Ref: 495197

Dear Mr Mahon,

Thank you for contacting the NSPCC. In order for us to take any action in this matter we would need some more information, such as how you have become aware of the group's plan to publish these names and when and how the names will be published. If you could respond to this email address with any further information you have, we can then follow this up as appropriate.

Regards,

Felicity Aspinall

My reponse

Thanks for getting back so promptly Felicity.

To give you some background these are 23,000 names that are held worldwide, so some will be in the UK. The rule appears to be that if there are two accusers/witnesses then the name and accusation is reported to the central branch in New York. Clearly this should be reported to the police, but also there is a chance a proportion of these names are of people where the accusations were false or unfounded.

I was a JW until 21 years ago and left when I was 13. This came to light on a discussion board I use as anonymous posted their plan there. I am assuming you are aware of the anonymous group to which I am referring? Vigilante group that uses cyber attacks to gather information and then put it in the public domain. Link to their video is here http://www.bit.ly/jwleaks-anonymous.

Like I said whilst I am sure they are thinking they are doing a public service was wondering if I am worried about nothing? Whilst not directly comparable to community notification of convicted molesters it is essentially community notification of accused molesters and fear the unintended consequences to children and innocent men. It is also not clear whether they will release the names of the potential victims although I assume they will have difficulty in anonymising 23,000 records if victims names are mentioned.

Thanks again for getting back. Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

• cedars
    cedars

I wish to edit the above post because I made a mistake in interpreting jamesmahon's remarks...

jamesmahon said

"Releasing the list will result in convictions. Not unless the victims go to or are willing to work with the police it won't."

I said...

"Don't be silly. Once the list is made public, being "convicted" won't be "optional" on the part of the molester. More flawed logic."

...which is wrong, because James was referring to cooperation on the part of the victims and not the molesters.

I still fail to see why exposure of paedophiles should be abandoned "just incase" some victims are scared to come forward. This is for the authorities to deal with if and when the list is leaked on a case by case basis. I'm no legal expert, but I'm sure that in some instances prosecutions will be meted out with or without full cooperation from the victims.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

jamesmahon - let me get this straight, do you think the NSPCC will give vocal support to any action against the Watch Tower Society where there are doubts over the legality, even if they individually support it behind closed doors?

Cedars

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

The BEST thing that could happen to a real-live child molester from a legal standpoint is to have the evidence made public by Anon: it gives their lawyers the grounds to claim it as it as admissible, possibly tainted. Ironic that the action becomes a get out of jail free card for anyone who IS guilty.

Anon's actions, from a prosecutorial angle, are completely irresponsible; it's hi-tech vigilantism, the on-line version of witch trials. It's no different than if a mob ran into where the files are, and scattered them on the streets of Brooklyn. Since the evidence was out of a chain of custody (ie obtained with a valid subpoena, sealed when kept as evidence or used for investigative purposes by LEOs), it's rendered inadmissible.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Cedars.

You know, lets leave this now. I have laid out my thoughts on this and so have you. You are not going to convince me this is a good idea. And I will not convince you it is a bad one. You think it is ok to destroy someone's life if it means a child will be protected. I don't subscribe to that belief. You think that accusations made to elders mean that a person should be named not only to the congregation but to anyone with the internet. And that also convicts them. That is fine. I can see your perspective. I just hold a different one.

If the NSPCC say there is nothing to worry about and it is a good idea then fine. I will back down immediately and post accordingly. They think about this sort of thing a lot more than us so will bow to their superior judgement. I don't have an axe to grind believe it or not. In not a single post have I tried to excuse the behaviour of the WTBTS or molestors. I have not said anything to protect them and said the list should go straight to the police.

• cedars
    cedars

The BEST thing that could happen to a real-live child molester from a legal standpoint is to have the evidence made public: it gives their lawyers the grounds to claim it as it as admissible, possibly tainted.

Even better than having their identities kept secret and continuing without detection with access to untold numbers of children? The organization is a paedo's paradise. To suggest that being "outed" would be BETTER for them than offending unopposed is just lunacy.

Get real King Solomon.

Cedars

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

King Soloman. I love you.

Cedars. I don't know what they will say. They had the chance to come out and say that blanket community notification of convicted molestors would be a good idea. They didn't and it would have been popular for them to do so. You are right though - I concede they will focus on the illegal aspect of this. We will see. I will post honestly anything they get back with whether it makes me look like a fool or not.

• flipper
    flipper

SOLDIER 77- Thanks for the link to Anonymous's website and updated message board. Wow, really just WOW ! These guys are on it like flys on poop man ! I highly recommend each and every JWN member check out this link that Soldier 77 just posted. If you have any doubts that Anonymous does their homework and is thorough- those doubts will be removed checking this link out ! It is : http://pastebin.com/3NitcTLF .

The information being handed out here on this link Soldier 77 and I just posted is very important and up to date information regarding what actions Anonymous is taking RIGHT NOW in this Operation Pedo concerning the WT society. Strap your helmets on folks, there are already inside JW's assisting Anonymous in an effort to leak information and bring WT down. This group leaves no stone unturned as you will see if you read this link. I'm feeling pretty confident right now.

CEDARS & LIFE IS TOO SHORT - Two thumbs up ! I agree entirely with you. Good posts

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Cedars. If it is not made public the police can investigate no? Or do you just want kangaroo justice based upon investigations by elders? If you are not arguing that can you explain what you mean. And there can be no criminal conviction in either this country or the US unless jurys get to see evidence from the victim and usually the accusers can be cross examined. Can you imagine being convicted based upon an investigation by elders? Sheesh.

And do we know whether victims names are being released? We should at least be pressing anonymous for that not to happen surely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit