Is their a slackening off / lack of zeal in the witnessing work that I am observing or is it just the area I`m living in

by smiddy 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

Last saturday I was home with my wife,having a leisurely brekky pottering around in the kitchen ,then I noticed her standing still pondering ,what`s up I asked , wife :I thought I heard someone knocking ,I looked out the window to see two middle aged guys exciting my front drive.Why didn`t you tell me they were their,I didn`t hear them. I would have engaged them in conversation , but my wife doesn`t think I ought to,just let it go ,is her motto.

But my point is : I`m not deaf , and I didn`t hear them at the door , we were both in the front room ,my wife only thought she heard someone at the door only to be proved right observing them leaving I was in my pj`s and dressing gown so was not going to pursue them. We have been living here nearly 5 years now and I can honestly say they have never been on our doorstep more than 4 times if that , I personally have only encountered them 3 times at the most. Oh, and when they left their was no indication they had been here ,no tracts nor invitations or old mags.left.Where I live their is a KH and a sizeable congregation even though the population here may only be max 8000 people.yet I never see anybody out in service around town , correcction, twice I have.Someone suggested to me they prefer to go on rural terr.where they can sit in a car maybe do 1 or 2 calls with a group and count 4/5 hours and i must admit their is plenty of rural terr.around here.

In contrast to the above going back to 1970 - 1990 in another congregation/s I served in we covered the territory about every 3 months,admittadly their were about 3 congregations surrounding these areas and the populations was about 50 000 people , however it was embarrasing sometimes to explain to the householder why we were their so often. Oh this is the book offer,last week it was the subscription offer , and 2 weeks before that was the magazine presentation , that satisfied our reasons but WTF ?the householder didn`t appreciate that .

But if their was no one home, a tract, or an old magazine,or an invitation to a talk was left , each and every home had to know a Jehovah`s Witness called upon them.That was a witness to the community,and why we went out in service.

Anybody else observe similarities here they want to share ?

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think you are right Smiddy, based on my observations here, and anecdotes I have heard from around the world, I don't quite understand how or why the malaise has spread, but I think it is a good thing of course, far less likely that they entrap more people.

We used to cover our large rural territory in less than 3 months (lots of Pio's) but now they take 6 or 7 months, with more publishers !

I have heard too of half-hearted stuff in the Carribean Islands, where they used to be enthusiastic for preaching in the streets and markets etc, now they may set up a table and sit, but that is not as effective as approaching people.

Maybe a subliminal feeling that "the End" is not really going to happen affects them all, I do hope so.

• pontoon
    pontoon

There has always been a fairly good turnout for field service in my territory, close to Wat Farm, but I do know they do not visit me as often as they did. I don't know if it is because they are giving up on me or just a lack of people out there in FS. But about two weeks ago I got a visit from a brother and sister----a most unlikely duo to be paired up together, (I know them both well) and it left me thinking they must have been the only two that showed up for service that Sat. AM. I am so out of touch with what is going on in my old cong so I really can't say for sure, but that was my observation.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Well I can't speak for all "active" witlesses but in my case I cant stand field service and miss every opportunity that I can. When I do go out I do "calls". Overhearing what others are saying in my cong. I'd say many feel the same way that I do, even the pioneers. There are pioneers in my hall that only have like 4 or 5 rvs and no studies. When I was pioneering 20 yrs ago that would've been grounds for deletion. There is no sense of urgency for many anymore.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

We have been bullshitted to about the end coming soon by the WTS. publishing house.

Ah shit

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yep, the only urgency that still exists is either to find a bathroom or a Starbucks.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

My house is on awell traveled highway, there are several houses on this highway. I have lived here eleven years and not one JW has ever come to my door. I am home M-F.

• sir82
    sir82

I can only comment on my particular neck of the woods, but my perception is that while there seems to be an increase in the amount of time spent in the "ministry", there is a definite lack of interest in actually giving a witness.

Frequent coffee / bathroom breaks (which can sometimes stretch to 45 minutes), stopping early to drive to return visits (most of whom are not at home), pioneer shuffle between doors....

And then, on the rare occasions when someone actually does answer the door, most JWs I know immediately go away at the slightest hint of an objection. There is virtually no effort to converse about anything.

Folks seem to have gotten the message that the principal purpose of the "ministry" is to put "impressive" numbers on a slip of paper each month.

As I've posted before: for every "hour" spent in the "ministry", rarely more than 3 or 4 minutes of actually "giving a witness" takes place.

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

wait until the news of pedophiles hiding in the shadows of the hxlls ,,,,,becomes front page news and all over the net,see what happens then folks!They all love to slame dunk all of the other churches,,,,,now people will do the same back,especially at the door!Well good luck with that dubs!

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

We have lived at our present address for over 7 years. I have seen them at my gate twice in that time, and once found a pamphlet in the post box. I have seen the JW's out in town doing streetwork, maybe 3 times in the last year and a half.

Maybe they are just avoiding me....

AS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit