Is their a slackening off / lack of zeal in the witnessing work that I am observing or is it just the area I`m living in

by smiddy 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Preaching in the U.S. is limited to 1 1/2 hours on Saturday from 10 -12..........with a 1/2 hour 'break' at the Starbucks

Its nothing short of a joke

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

No one is coming into the cult now,except gullable poor starving and low intelligence people in foreign lands,that don't know what their getting into!Over here in the USA,and all other developed countries,all of the young witnesses are surfing the net,and finding the truth about the truth,and leaving in massive numbers.Game over folks.Now add to all of these things,the latest sex abuse scandles are front page news to the world.This is going to cause them a lot of troubles,as non witnesses throw that in there faces at work,school,in field circus,everywhere.Well good luck with that?lol.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I haven't seen a witless in FS for maybe 3 years, either at home or driving about. They visit me still, but don't knock or ring, just leave me firelighters in the post box. I saw a Joey the other week, who had taken a job selling vacuums door-to-door, and I told him all about the recent scandals. He left my door after not putting up much of a fight, with a thousand- yard stare. He seemed totally beat. My JW family don't want to get into discussions with me about the contoversies at all. 20 years ago they would've been full of crazy batshit JW zeal. WTB$ is a spent force in my opinion now. I think the religion is finished in the developed world. I think it'll just slowly fizzle out. I wonder when they'll decide not to be so anal about printing yearly figures for everything.

God bless the internet.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The comments on using the Bible in FS are very true. I grew up in the days of "10 to 15 minute four scripture sermons". You just had to use your Bible and JW's were Bible students not WT students.

In view of the article on the front of the latest KM (Sept 2012) suggesting use of the Bible is not always needed on first calls, the situation can only get worse.

George

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

The question is, who of us who were baptized really ever wanted to out in FS anyway? I always hated it. I always counted my time from the time I left my house to go to the meeting for FS, because I wasn't dressing up and getting out at 8:30 am to drive to the KH just because it was the right thing to do. It was forced labor, guilt inspired. Who in their right mind wants to get up at 7:00 am on Saturday to preach to people who don't want to hear it?

I don't blame those still in for doing as little as possible. It is a way to maintain appearances, which the Borg is all about anyway, and keep the status quo.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    JW's were Bible students not WT students

Well said. It was a matter of honour to know your Bible. These days they just don't seem to care anymore.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I thank you all for your comments and realise it`s not just me. Jehovah`s Witnesses are supposed to be bible students, and according to the WTB&TS they are supposed to be the most informed/knowledgable and enlightened, spirit directed bible students ,why aren`t they more pro-active in engaging in bible discussion with academics ,other bible scholars ,seminaries ,etc. warning the people like Noah , Jerimiah , Elijah , Elisha, did before a calmitous situation arrived . They should If they were" fair dinkum". Use of the modern technology like the phone , the internet , Radio , Television ,twitter ,facebook , I-pads ,etc. etc .. What limited usage they use of these services is not to inform or educate the masses , of so called bible truths, but to counteract genuine concerns over their interpretation of scriptures that are obviously taken out of context , in other words they are a reactionary religion, not a pro-active religion.

smiddy

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I work from home, live in a U.S. East Coast Mid-Atlantic urban area with several Kingdom Halls nearby. I have received multiple visits from IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist) proselytizers going "soul winning" in person, yet the only sign of Jehovah's Witnesses has been a memorial invitation hidden under my recycling bin. So much for their claim that they are the only ones going door to door preaching.

edit: I forgot, two elderly Jehovah's Witnesses did show up once attempting to present a science lesson about how we only use 10% of our brains (a debunked concept), from a Watchtower booklet.

• dozy
    dozy

Interesting observations.

It is true that nowadays increasingly the members are dumbed down. I remember an old JW who I used to enjoy going out on the ministry with when I was young - he was very engaging & really knew his bible. He had learned a certain amount of Greek , Aramaic & Hebrew ( which the WTBTS actively discourage the rank & file to do nowadays ) & could hold his own in any argument , even with a church minister or divinity student.

Very few like him nowadays. In my later years on the field service , I found that almost all the JWs I worked with , including the pioneers , just wanted to offer the magazines or "hit & run" with tracts. Even the mildest objection or question & they said goodbye & hoofed it back down the path. There was a painful scene once when I was with a pioneer of several years standing & the householder asked him to show him in the bible why JWs don't accept blood. "It is in Acts , somewhere , I think" he said & fumbled his way through , looking at the running heads to try to locate the scripture. I had to help him. Really embarrassing - yet this was a guy held up as an outstanding zealous JW often interviewed at assemblies.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

smiddy,

The scene that you just described is very similar to what I have noticed over the last several years:

- Firstly, as they approach your door, their body language very much gives the impression that they really hope nobody is going to be at home.

- Then, at the first hint of opposition, they definitely give the impression of being only too pleased to have an excuse to disengage the enemy and flee the field!

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit