Spare the Rod and spoil the child, How did that work for you

by jam 210 Replies latest jw friends

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

The question has been raised about hitting a child/toddler baby? VS hitting an adult. I want to raise another question: What about hitting/beating a puppy or a dog? Most of the spankers out there probably would hesitate to beat their dog. Why are kids worth less?

When we got a puppy we bought a book about German Shepard dogs and how to train them. We learned that positive reinforcement works MUCH better than other methods, however, CONSISTANCY is crucial. Why would anyone be more patient with a mere animal than their own child??????

Turns out that our male dog was terribly willful. He would not obey even if he knew EXACTLY what the command was. We almost got rid of him because he started to get aggressive. We decided to use what he loves and hates to train him. He loves food, so EACH and EVERY time he obeys he gets a small treat. He HATES being alone so EACH and EVERY time he disobeyed he was scolded and put in isolation in our laundry room for an hr.

He has not disobeyed in so long I can't remember. Why don't parents put at least as much time and effort in reading parenting books and taking classes as people do with dogs? When parents are pushed or tired they revert to what is easy. I know because I was guilty of this myself. Thankfully, I realized my children were worth the investment of time, patience and consistancy. I abandoned the literal rod and substituted consistantly withholding what they wanted when the behavior was unsuitable. They could predict with a certanity what the consequences would be if they disobeyed. Along with this ,there was praise (lots of praise) affection, and yes, REWARDS for doing the right things.

Parents are the adults. It is up to them to be smarter and wiser than their kids. Parenthood is NOT for sissys or bullys!

• frankiespeakin
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, I've never beat a dog before. Had a few, never beat them.

Yeah Was, my youngest has even less of a filter. He will blurt out anything that comes to him. We're working on his developing tact, something a lot of autistic kids don't have. And no I don't beat him for being tactless.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Wuz - I'm dying laughin at that story. When my friends youngest was 3 or 4 her husband was the conductor of the bookstudy at my house. I'm sure he learned this from his older brother and sister, but every funny sound he heard was a fart. So apparently he heard something and said out loud during the study "ooh mommy, you farted!" so she answered back "no I didn't!" then he goes " un hunh !" , so her husband gives them both the evil eye. Trying to remember if she dragged him off to get a spanking, but I was so busy laughing I don't remember if she did or not.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Let me get this clear 3rdgen,

you think I love my child less than you do yours because of the of the method I used ????

LOL Shirley, kids do say the darnest things

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes, we're just unloving brutes who don't know how to love the fruit of our wombs

• wasblind
    wasblind

I know some kids on the next block from me that will surely test the will of the strong

I know a 5 year old girl that's so unruly, you better not get on your knees and make

eye contact wit her. and try to talk

Try if you like, you'll recieve an ass whoopin' from a five year old at eye level

best thing to do in dealin' wit that child is to stand straight, stand firm, and ready to roll

One size don't fit all, when it come to disipline

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

Curious, how would you handle A little brat like me?

Did your parents make you clean up your messes? I think that having to fix my mistakes would have been a good punishment. At the very least, I wouldn't have made that mistake again!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

American Indians thought Europeans were strange because they hit their children.

http://www.history.org/almanack/life/family/first.cfm

That should've been their first sign to get the Heck out of town, since they were invaded by people who are NUTZ!!! :)

Someone mentioned above how the Bible condones beating a slave for discipline. The actual rule is found in Exodus 21:20, and is pretty complicated:

21:20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

21:26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.

21:27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

So the master has to be careful not to cause slave to lose an eye or tooth, since the slave owner then must set him free, suffering the economic harm.

Also, the slave owner has to be careful not to beat slave to death, for that's considered manslaughter. However, the law acknowledges that if the slave is beaten and manages to hang on to dear life for a "day or two", then the master is NOT charged with manslaughter and is off the hook, since they get the presumption of innocence that the slave MAY have died from ANOTHER cause (eg they died of "old age" a day later: the beating had NOTHING to do with it. Just a coincidence, folks; move along...). Besides, the loss of the slave as property at the master's own hand was considered punishment enough ("for (the slave) is golden, worth some $$"). .

So I can see it now: the slave is jumping around to try and align the blows of the master's rod to knock out a tooth or eye and gain his freedom, but the master is trying to land blows on fleshy areas. And if the slave is beaten unconscious, the master suddenly must administer CPR sufficient to at least keep the slave alive for a day or two to avoid manslaughter charges.

So there's your Biblical morality in action, folks: has any believer who says, "YHWH is the moral law-giver" even bothered to actually READ any of this stuff?

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Cofty rocks and is one of the few voices of reason on this thread. Jadeen as well.

I find it interesting that some people on here who have hit their kids and are apparently quite happy about it, are actually bothered by what they seem to think is unreasonable behavior on the part of other posters...hmmm... I smell irony.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit