In Proverbs there are several verses on the wisdom

of using the rod for discipline. The notion that children

will only flourish if chastised, physically or otherwise for

any wrongdoing. Some may argue, the rod means disciplinary

action not necessarily A literal rod. Well when it comes to those

verses and especially among JW,s, it means one thing, (belt, broom

handle or whatever is at hand). What is one to think, Pro. 13:24

"He who spares the rod hates his son", Pro22:15 Foolishness is

bound in the heart of A child, the rod will correct that.

Pro.29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom.

Curious how you all have fared with the rod of discipline, especially

the ones rasied in borg. in the 70,s and 80,s.

Maybe some of you heard this today in the news.

Spanking,slapping may increase the risk of developing mental

health issues. The study is for those who regularly spank their

child for physical punishment.

• cofty
    cofty

There is no need to ever strike a child. It is lazy parenting at best.

• designs
    designs

When I was growing up the only time my father got physical with me was in High School, my brother and i got in a fight and he grabbed us both by the throat picked us up and threw us down, eneded the fight and we sure Never ever picked on the old man.

The two Overseers in my first congregation, 1960s, were cruel fathers, one would punish his sons by cutting chunks out of their hair with electric clippers and the other gut stomped his son, one of the most vicious attacks I have ever seen, right in front of me in their home.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

My parents didn't spare the rod but didn't beat us to death either and I think my brother, sister and I turned out okay. I don't remember getting spanked or "beatings" lol when I was an older kid as my parents punished us in different ways.

LRG

• jam
    jam

designs: There is A direct coalition between climbing

the ladder in the borg and the severity of the punishment

meted out to the kids. Most set A good example.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My earliest memories are of being a toddler and told by my father to "wait till we get home". then told to stop crying on the way home or the beating would be worse. At this point I went into an involuntary convulsion trying to stop crying and not being able to breathe. All the while my mother would say nothing and do nothing in my behalf. What can a toddler do at a 2 hour+ meeting that lasts late in the night that requires beating with a belt? Such fear produces either rebellion or submission mixed with resentment that in time turnes to hate. The latter was the case with me.

My father died when i was in high school and all I felt was relief. My mother was the oddest person I personally have ever met. I have no way of knowing whether she would be as insensitive as she has always been without the influence of Judge Rutherford or not, but at this point I don't care anymore. The damage has been done, both to me as well as her grandchildren. She was so indifferent to them(their whole lives) that when he was grown, I couldn't even PAY my son to visit her. As bad as it sounds,when she dies I will feel a HUGE burden lifted.

BTW, I raised my children with boundries not beatings. My mother accused me of "making Gods out of your children". What does that even mean??? It just so happens my grown daughter just paid for an airline ticket so I could visit her. (She PAID to see ME!) You be the judge.

• life is to short
    life is to short

That is so neat 3rdgen about your daughter paying for air flight.

Hope you have a great time.
    LITS

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LITS, Thanks so much! I couldn't be more grateful.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Someone that was out way before myself, explained that the word 'rod' was a referance or misstranslation of the word staff. The kind a sheep herder would use. She went on to say that the herder would never use a staff to beat sheep, just a kind of nudging and guiding along the path. I dont know if this is true though. But at the time, I liked hearing her version of scripture.

My little brother was a wiggely bull calf. He would smile at everyone as he was took outside the K.H. Little guy just couldnt sit still. He smiled walking back to his seat too.

• Razziel
    Razziel

On the back of the hands with a wooden spoon! Ouch that stung. At least there is some padding elsewhere to help soften the blow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit