A question specially for ladies ...

by Dudu 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• JWOP
    JWOP

I usually wear dress slacks to church now, and a nice blouse. Once in a while I wear a dress or skirt, but not often.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yes, I dress a little more wild- I'm glad I can dress how I choose to and not have to feel guilty about wanting to wear things that are unacceptable according to JW standards.

I guess I would describe the things I wear as... ? Circus-y? I wear a lot of ballet-inspired stuff, tights and ballet-wraps, leotards, brightly colored footless tights with short-shorts over them. Stuff you'd see in a gymnastics studio.

They aren't "indecent" but nothing you could really wear around witnesses without getting a raised eyebrow. Just sort of "weird" things.

I am a scientist also and go to conferences where I give talks and then I wear suits. I really like wearing suits and businessy clothes like that too. It's funny -I'd never wear the stuff to a science conference that I wore to the KH -too hokey! I am much more business-like at the conferences with my grey wool Banana Republic suit... but I wouldn't be allowed to wear such a thing to a JW convention because it is PANTS. Bitch, please. What ridiculous rules.

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

welll...not out yet!

Buttt.....i am really giving my likes over what a group of men think these days.I mean...still decent but more me...I only wear skirts for meeting now. I dress more like my age (19 years)---skinny jeans, high tops,bright colored tops, bangles,lots of skinny jeans!!! I'm growing out my hair also! Last year all i wore was baggy jeans and ankle length skirts with my hair in a bun so i could 'give a witness' at any time.As if you cant talk about the Bible in stylish clothes.

lol...Yesterday i was doing sum shopping for my mom in a black skinny jeans,black and green v-neck off the shoulder top---one of the elders wives saw me while they were giving out magazines ...she and a nosy sister opened their eyes wide and pretended they didn't see me...A big change from the usual 'jw girl' style.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Talesin...

danmera and anyone else -- do you think a 50-something old lady can sport purple hair? I am thinking of bleaching out a large chunk and colouring it purple! :D

You can do whatever you want to do. That was one of the worst things abut the Watchtower for me. Not only that wearing ordinary or "different" clothes was frowned upon, but they had standards that were out of the ark! It was seen as "respecting" Jehovah, but in reality then men liked women to look a certain way, and the JW women vied with each other for "prettiness" and were totally prudish about how people looked.The women were the worst.

I usually wear trousers.

Tal, you're 50? You're young! No age at all! MsGrowingGirl, it's so good to see you thinking about being yourself. BE yourself, do what you want, and don't let anyone dicatate to you for their own ends.

This whole thread reminded me of this poem; I love it!

Warning - by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

and eat three pounds of sausages at a go

or only bread and pickles for a week

and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

and pay our rent and not swear in the street

and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

I've always wanted blue hair but I have orange highlights now.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

That poem was just mindblowing to me! I hope I behave like that when Im older! (Chariklo, thanks x)

I didnt have any big changes in my wardrobe, the point for me was I was able to choose for myself what I wanted to wear. Oh, and I stopped having to wear plasters over my ankle tattoos.

And went to a few Ann Summers parties......thats a whole other thread x

• Kudra
    Kudra

Pam -here in the US there are these sort of informal club of older ladies that all get together and actually wear purple with red hats, after that poem.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Wow! Kudra, really? Thats a club Id love to join! I dont want to grow old disgracefully, but I want to be an individual, and a little bit eccentric if I possibly can...(Im British so I can get away with a lot hahah ) . plus, I like purple and red x

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks all! I have the bleach, soooooo.....

Char - that is one of my favorite poems, posted it years ago - glad to see it introduced to a new 'generation' of JWN wymmins!!!

It's called "The Red Hat Society" - there is also a series of novels.... and we have it in Canada, too. One of my friends belongs to it.

t

• flipper
    flipper

I know this question is for the ladies, however I am growing my hair longer these days . Kind of following my son's example ! LOL ! I've ditched all my pantyhose and garters though ! LOL ! Going commando is much more freeing. ( just joking ). Peace out,, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit