Do Pedophiles deserve sympathy?

by purplesofa 149 Replies latest members adult

• talesin
    talesin

Nambo, thanks for the link, I will read it tonight.

It's my understanding that people with Asbergers are highly intelligent.

My abuse began at birth, and continued until age 18. There were isolated subsequent incidents, but trust me that the abuse was prolonged and heinous. My IQ testing in school said I was at the genius level. I've always scored in the top 98-100 percentile in my educational pursuits.

Whatever.. the results of the abuse caused a lot of emotional and physical health problems that have made life very difficult, so I understand where you're coming from.

It would be interesting to do some reading on the effects of abuse on the brain from a neurological aspect. I spent 15 years studying and reading about the psychological effects, but that is an entirely different aspect.

It is a myth that sexually abused children often become abusers themselves. In some cases, children and teens will act out their pain by molesting others, but these are isolated incidents. In very rare circumstances, those who were molested as children continue the cycle of abuse. Often, though, these folks have severe emotional problems, are physical, emotional and verbal abusers, and self-medicate with alcohol, prescription and street drugs. They are often misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (a junk diagnosis, imo) and Bipolarism, when in fact, they suffer from severe depression, dissociative disorders, and poor social skills. It's easier to medicate and put a bandaid on the problem, instead of combining medication with a myriad of therapeutic techniques including but not limited to CBT, NLP, self-hypnosis or meditation, and talk therapy.

I do agree with Avi, in that these folk are to be pitied. and we have yet to find a solution that allows those who want help, to receive said help.

Difficult subject.

tal

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I thought this was good from the article:

Having encountered thousands of cases, it is my experience that the pedophiles who do go on to become actual child molesters do so when they feel the most desperate. Yet, much of what society does has been to increase rather than decrease their desperation.

In the United States especially, the great majority of attention is on punitive measures, invoked after the fact. However, the more beneficial social policies may be those aimed at prevention.

I never thought about seperating a pedophile from a child molester until today. Having the feelings and acting on them are entirely different. Who does a pedophile turn to for help? Where do they go? When do we start questioning a person about this? How does society find out BEFORE a crime is committed?

I have never heard of one talk from the platform about this disease. And in bible terms, is it considered fornication?

• avishai
    avishai

And sooner, I agree with you as well. Seems like the only solution at times.

• talesin
    talesin

sooner -- yes, we do not tolerate murderers, so why have sympathy for those who commit SOUL MURDER, for that's what it is!

tal

• Razziel
    Razziel

I have never heard of one talk from the platform about this disease.

And you never will. Admitting pedophiles might be born that way is one step away from admitting homosexuals might be as well, and therefore cannot be "reformed".

• talesin
    talesin

purps, I would like to know what he means by the phrase "having encountered thousands" --- he is only in his forties, and only his PhD is related to the subject matter; he studied Comp Sci and Physics as an undergrad, which means he hasn't been working in this research field for a very long time - so what does he mean by that statement?

And where does he get the stat that 6% of the male population, and 4% of the female, are pedos?

It sounds very fishy to me!!!

tal

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have never heard of one talk from the platform about this disease.

And you never will. Admitting pedophiles might be born that way is one step away from admitting homosexuals might be as well, and therefore cannot be "reformed".

I should have said I have never once heard a talk admonishing sexual child abuse...there is more than enough talks on adult fornication, and homosexuality is bunched in with murderers and theives.

I can't even begin to put homosexuals and pedophiles in the same catorgory as a need to be "reformed"

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Do Pedophiles deserve sympathy?

sym·pa·thy

1. harmony of or agreement in feeling, as between persons or on the part of one person with respect to another.

2. the harmony of feeling naturally existing between persons of like tastes or opinion or of congenial dispositions.

3. the fact or power of sharing the feelings of another, especially in sorrow or trouble; fellow feeling, compassion, or commiseration. 4. sympathies, a. feelings or impulses of compassion. b. feelings of favor, support, or loyalty: It's hard to tell where your sympathies lie. 5. favorable or approving accord; favor or approval: He viewed the plan with sympathy and publicly backed it.
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

tal,

here is the Video referred to in the article:

http://vimeo.com/33793616

I don't know who he is or what he really knows, I know I have never done research on pedophiles. I get turned off when

my friends in my age bracket (50's) are turned on by men my sons ages (30's) !

• avishai
    avishai

Well, botchtower, I guess then what i feel is pity, not smpathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit