David Cameron Confronts Cristina Fernandez (UK v Argentina)

by cofty 182 Replies latest social current

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Came back to this after an hour. Never answered my question LMAS. Why do you give the smallest damn about this? What difference does it make to you? Why do you care that your government (not you) gets to say what happens on these islands as opposed to the islanders themselves? I really do not get why calling the island's part of Argentina would make the slightest bit of difference to your life anymore then them being British makes a difference to my life.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I answered your question in a succinct manner, but I guess you need an answer with more detail. I have a personal connection to this dispute. My father fought in the Malvinas War. Many did not come back, and even more are traumatised by the experience. La nación a sus héroes. When I look at the history involved, it was an unnecessary war in two ways. The junta that planned and executed it was desperate and misinformed. It guaranteed continued British control, rather than advance a claim in a better light. The second reason is that there was no logical reason why Britain needed these islands in the first place. A lot of suffering has resulted due to imperial exploits. It makes a difference to me because I love my country, and see this land as a integral part of my own. I hope this explains it better for you.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

But it is not an integral part of your country, is it?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

My father fought in the war as well - he risked his life over the political posturing of an inept administration, mistakes that are being repeated again. There is a logical reason why we needed those Islands, it is because they are our people. They are not yours.

• sir82
    sir82

Following your logic, shouldn't you be giving Argentina back to the Indians who were there first?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

And they rely on British protection from their acquisitive neighbour.

Ask them how they feel!

Oh, sorry, I forgot...you... not you personally but your leader representing you...refused to talk to them.

Where'd you find that map? Most maps have 'Islas Malvinas' in brackets underneath 'Falklands'. I can post a map too with the desired results. But why bother? What does it prove? Geo-political posturing? The map you posted looks like it was pulled from a grade school textbook.

The people might be yours, but the land is ours. At one point in time, the British Foreign Office agreed with that assessment. When it became obvious that you couldn't amputate the occupants from the land, the tone suddenly changed.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Actually its not - remember how we kicked you off it.

Yes, both times. It's the first time (1833) that you keep on forgetting. Rule Britannia! To hell with anyone who has the misfortune of getting in the way.

• cofty
    cofty

Imagine if Argentina was a shining example of how a country ought to be run. If it was productive, successful and thriving. If it had an efficient, stable and fair administration that was free of corruption and it had demonstrated these conditions over a number of decades. Under those circumstances imagine Argentina wanted to invest heavily in the infrastructure and economy of the Falklands. I can see under those circumstances that the Islanders might ask the UK for a peaceful transfer of power and I can imagine the British government making that possible.

Contrast that with the current reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit