What is with abusive atheists?

by Fernando 187 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Now why doesn't that surprise me about your friends experience New Chapter.

Mrs Jones...that crop circle thing is interesting isn't it? Makes you wonder who it is that takes all that effort to keep doing them...either they have a funny sense of humour or maybe its belief based? What did they say about it in the documentary? Or didn't they have any idea other than they were man made?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Ok firstly.......sigh......

Secondly, NC deserves a medal of honour for valour in battle.

Thirdly, this forum is unique. Most ex-theists leave their religion behind like a bad smell. Ex JWs are hanging around for various reasons. To save family members, to vent, to heal, to feel safe in a community of people that feel the same, much like they did as a JW.

I have never seen a thread where a Christian or a theist has politely asked why us ex-believers no longer believe. For me personally i would be fascinated to know. When I was exploring the truth of the bible, I would have sold my magic beans for a conversation with an atheist that was previously a believer.

Never once have I seen someone ask an atheist WHY they no longer believe in god, but I have seen endless assumptions as to why they left god.

Going back to my original thoughts, this is a unique place. You have atheists that know the bible well....... They are not ignorant to gods word, or to prayer or to dedication to him/her. Stop assuming, start asking....

let's have some mutual respect

Snare x

• tec
    tec

Never once have I seen someone ask an atheist WHY they no longer believe in god, but I have seen endless assumptions as to why they left god.

Snare, this could be equally stated the other way around, lol. Some assume; some ask; some listen; some don't care.

I think most atheists simply state their reasons why they no longer believe when they comment on a thread that is about atheism or belief.

Peace,

tammy

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Aww tec, I was hoping you wouldn't ask that....

I was expecting these words, but think it through, you are asking us EX GOD WORSHIPERS to ask why you WORSHIP GOD. We know the answer..we did it once. That's my point. We have lived in both camps yet instead of asking what it is like in the other camp, the assumption is that we left the god camp because we didn't want to obey his rules... Why not ask instead of assume?

Snare x

Also it's been a while as I have been busy, so mwa x and "evening' all!"

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't think believers consider our former belief valid. It was flawed in some way, so we really don't understand. If we had it right, we would probably still believe---if we had truly understood. Current believers have a very different experience than former believers. When we say we know where they are coming from, they really doubt that. What can you do?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" What did they say about it in the documentary? Or didn't they have any idea other than they were man made?"

This was a few years ago. My daughter had just seen the movie "Signs". I think the movie touched on crop circles and that's what peaked her interest. The documentary talked about the possible ways crop circles may have been form with an extraterrestrial spin to it. When it went into how folks were doing it with the planks and rope. When my daughter saw that she was a bit miffed. She had the same reaction when she fouond that magicians weren't performing magic but slight of hand.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think I saw that same documentary. It looked really cool to me. Simple yet ingenius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEAQ-d07HlE

• tec
    tec

Aww tec, I was hoping you wouldn't ask that....

Ah... I didn't ask anything, love ;)

I was expecting these words, but think it through, you are asking us EX GOD WORSHIPERS to ask why you WORSHIP GOD. We know the answer..we did it once.

You know why you did... you do not know why I do, unless you ask me or read something I have stated. The various answers I have been given have shown me that there are all sorts of different reasons from different believers... current or former. For instance...I do not know why you used to believe. I also cannot recall why you no longer believe, though, I apologize.

That's my point. We have lived in both camps yet instead of asking what it is like in the other camp, the assumption is that we left the god camp because we didn't want to obey his rules... Why not ask instead of assume?

I have never thought OR assumed this.

(though I would suggest that it is the rules of religion that you would not have wanted to obey, if you did not want to obey any rules. Religious, of having faith, or neither... most see the peace and love and wisdom in the couple of "rules" Christ stated - love, and all else flows from that. With one further teaching to those who follow Him: to love one another as He has loved us.)

Also it's been a while as I have been busy, so mwa x and "evening' all!"

Good night. And it is good to hear from you again.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit