What is with abusive atheists?

by Fernando 187 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
    Fernando

Sorry folks, I know the "Candace Conti Case" is where all our time attention should be for now. I just had this much less important issue on my heart and wanted to make a quick note of it, as I am struggling with remembering all the details as clearly afterward.

Although I am a non-religious believer and simple follower of Jesus, I have had some constructive interaction with atheists and agnostics on JWN. I do enjoy learning more about their perspective. This generally creates better mutual understanding which is conducive to less prejudice, ignorance and hostility in society.

Not so others who use abusive language and display a mean spirit.

After thousands of hours of contemplation, prayer and research I sincerely believe that atheists are one step closer to God than religionists. One imagines that a reasonable minded atheist may see the graciousness of such a viewpoint, whilst agreeing to disagree on the existence of God.

God chooses to live in the hearts of believers and manifest through them, despite the fact that believers are just as dysfunctional, aberrant and corrupt as anyone else (from God's point of view, and barring the apostate ruling religious clergy class). Believers see this as an awesome display of God's humility. Atheists choose to ignore any manifestations of God in those around them, and even in themselves.

It is admittedly hard to restrain oneself when subjected to abusive language and mean spiritedness. However such restraint is one of the many ways God can manifest his presence in the heart of a believer.

I know I am far from perfect and still require much refining on my life's journey. Therefore I do not demand perfection from others on JWN, and would be delighted if offered the same consideration.

Can an atheist reasonably use his unfavourable circumstances in life as an excuse? Why do abusive atheists choose to ignore the fact that there are many on JWN with much worse circumstances and far better behaviour and attitudes?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I guess you missed it when a believer here just got banned for foul language, name calling and slanderous accusations, amidst great support from her fellow believers.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey palmtree67!

Yes, sorry I did miss that one. If you have a link or two I'll have a look. Sorry to hear about it, and for the person's behaviour. Going by your description it sounds rather atrocious.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The board was in chaos for quite awhile, and some of us are still wary and paranoid because of the experience. You may be seeing the after-effects of it. The board got quite polarized, divided into atheists/believers.

This is just my opinion of things and I'm sure others will disagree.

The worst of the threads were yanked by the mods.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Who got booted?

• still thinking
    still thinking
    God chooses to live in the hearts of believers and manifest through them, despite the fact that believers are just as dysfunctional, aberrant and corrupt as anyone else (from God's point of view, and barring the apostate ruling religious clergy class). Believers see this as an awesome display of God's humility. Atheists choose to ignore any manifestations of God in those around them, and even in themselves.

This is purely your opinion...and yet you state it as fact....

You are also speaking for Atheists from your perspective. Why should I give that any credence at all?

And then you wonder why it doesn't get respect.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey still thinking!

Thank you for raising that point. I will take it onboard and contemplate.

I know I am outspoken, and can be dogmatic at times. My journey, healing and refinement is ongoing. I feel I have come a very long way, in numerous areas, from my days as a religionist (I walked out mid 2009, never to return).

Maybe I should have prefaced those sentences with "In my experience..."

• still thinking
    still thinking
    I know I am outspoken, and can be dogmatic at times.

Can't we all...LOL

My journey and refinement is ongoing. I have come a very long way from my days as a religionist

And so is mine. good luck with your journey Fernando...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So this atheist passed away and he found himself in the presence of God in heaven.

"I don't belong here, God. I never believed in you."

"Ha, these days I only let atheists in. I gave mankind rational thinking and the ability to accumulate knowledge. I made the universe according to universal scientific laws that could be mathematically calculated and left absolutely no evidence of my involvement in the process. I started life by striking the primordial soup with lightning and allowed simple life to evolve into complex life. I did such a good job that I didn't even need to guide the process. I never sent my son or myself down, but I never interfered with all the strange doctrines of belief. So I prefer those that rationally decided that I do not exist. The rest, they are just dead."

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey OnTheWayOut!

I actually enjoyed that, and came away thinking there is considerably more truth in what you describe than in the GB/FDS/WBTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit