Just some personal ramblings. Move on if you want to argue.

by OnTheWayOut 40 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, first of all: I like the earth, the polar bears, the whales, and any other part of the planet that someone wants to help. I appreciate any efforts that people exert. The planet is going through global warming and pumping exhaust from automobiles and factories and other sources does contribute to the global warming. We are going to run out of fossil fuels and it seems that we won't be doing much about it until the greedy bastards get all the money out of oil that they can. The party on the left is now the party on the right and we need to vote the bums out. I am mostly in agreement with the 99% in their message, but I do not support any violent solutions. At the same time, I see that violence may be the only thing that causes change.

Why do I say all that? Because I am at a unique position for me. I used to be an active Jehovah's Witness. I used to 'get involved' in the way I thought was right- teaching people about the Kingdom of God that works through the Watchtower. I was wrong. I don't do that anymore. I am not afraid to be wrong again, I certainly will share my position if someone asks. But that's about the extent of how much I want to get involved. I say my opinions on JWN or facebook, but I don't do more than politely discuss things in person. My fader status and my 2 decades of being involved put me in my unique position now.

I just want to be at peace, I just want to enjoy my short time on earth. I want to maintain family relationships without shunning. I want to speak my mind, but not so much that it repels people. I want to smell the roses and watch the squirrels and puppies. I want to walk/bike through the woods and snorkel to see the fish. I want to vacation in the sun, maybe ride a few roller coasters or play an enjoyable game of tennis on a regular basis.

Call me selfish if you want. The first 40+ years of my life include so much drama and I just want the remaining 40+ years to be quieter (unless I am enjoying some great music at a higher volume).

My other rambling is that I am so grateful I have found people who "get it" when I explain such things. My ex-JW friends from JWN and from meetup have been the greatest. I am confident that if my wife were ever to leave the JW's, I would have lost a lot of interest in all things ex-JW. As it is, my interest has died down some, and will probably continue to die down. But I will always be around now and again to stay in touch with my awesome ex-JW friends. I have personally met so many people from this forum, and many of those people are my absolute closest of friends. I thank you all for being there for me. I won't name you all here, for fear of leaving someone out. You all know who you are.

Tahoe-Apostafest has been great. If I could, I would go to more of these events. But they are dying off. When I was still fading, there used to be huge fests in Wisconsin that I never made it to. Now, they are gone. There are some summer gatherings here and there, but my JW wife has a hard enough time with me going to Tahoe. But I imagine some more events will pop up as the years go by, and I will make some of them.

I say all this, certainly not as a goodbye to JWN. I will be here later today and I will be here tomorrow and the next day and ..... . But I have cut down. I will cut down more. There are fences to repair and books to read and trails to hike/bike. Despite my wonderful extended stay here, I know that I have a toxic relationship with all things JW/ex-JW. It's keeping me from getting other things done. Y'all know I will be here, but don't be surprised if days go by. I have noticed that some of the others who spend a lot of time here have finally started seriously cutting down. It's my turn.

So thanks all. See ya on the next thread or at the next fest. Thanks for reading. I started this thread 3 times yesterday and deleted it. I finally decided to just ramble to say what I wanted. Some of my best thoughts come out when I don't slow down the typing to think. I hope it makes sense. If it doesn't, that's okay.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm...I like it. Maybe I'll call my mother today.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Very well put ! I think a lot of us think about all the wasted time we spent inside JW land over the years ( my time was from birth until age 44 ) and I totally get your wanting to spend time involved with other activities and experiencing lots of enjoyable activities in your next 40 - 50 years. I agree. It's one reason I recently took up playing guitar and writing songs. I'm now doing many things I didn't do as a JW due to the cult stealing away all of our " personal " time for ourselves. So, yeah, I agree man. Hike a trail in the mountains, play tennis, sing, play music - anything that keeps you in the here and now and to continue to smell the roses along the way !

You're a great friend OTWO and I'm happy that you've made great transitions in your life ! It's been a privilege to get to know you and you've helped me in my life as a great support too. My wife and I hope that someday we may be able to meet your wife in a free state of mind without the JW thinking clogging it up. Look forward to seeing you at Tahoe ! Peace & love, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cantleave
    cantleave

I enjoyed that ramble!

• cult classic
    cult classic

Me too.

• trebor
    trebor

Well said, OTWO. I agree with many of your points and understand your viewpoint. Wishing you all the best if the opportunity did not present itself again to state such, I wanted to get that in now.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Fantastic post, OTWO. You've helped me compartmentalize some ideas I've been debating myself.

• cofty
  • clarity
    clarity

On The Way Out .....

I had brothers ........ lost them by becoming a jerk jehovah's witness.

They are gone now and I miss them terribly.

>

Guys like you have filled in the empty spaces somewhat.

If that avator is you ... the likeness fits.

I want to thank you for being here at a time of my eye-opening & discovery.

It is a difficult journey.

Wishing you happy days and a smooth road ahead..........

see you around

clarity

• AGuest
    AGuest

Now, that's something you and I can agree on, Jer. Life is/can be good. It's harder to focus on living it... than moaning about it.

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit