I am so proud of how we've handled Sparlock!

by NewChapter 63 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You know--I feel bad too. My daughter never believed in Santa and company. But I did let her watch smurfs (shhh). I even sculpted her one out of clay once. It was pretty good. She also watched this show everday on Nickelodian with this magical grandpa figure (can't remember the name) and Eureka's Castle. A sister was appalled when I rented the movie Casper for my daughter. So on the one hand, I'm dealing with some guilt. On the other, I'm glad I knew on some level it was all bullshit and I didn't totally steal magic from her. It's a mixed gig though.

I still remember our evening Nick at Night line up----Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie. And excuse me---but we were Hercules and Xena fanatics.

It was the Disney thing. All the JW's were watching Disney---and I figured it there was nothing wrong with that, then there was nothing wrong with the other magical shows, movies and toys. I still wish I had given her Santa though. Ah well. She doesn't hate me.

NC

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

i agree NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea nothing like the WT to take the fun out of being a kid. Just on the conveyor belt of lifetime worker/drone to look forward to

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

If you haven't already seen, Sparlock the Wizard is on FB....and he's a hoot! 464 "Likes" and counting

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I think Sparlock is a stand in for whatever it was you had to sacrifice to keep the approval of the cult, and for some people it is a way to reclaim what they lost.

For me, Sparlock is a tangible manifestation of how the cult has told so many lies and built so many structures to patch up previous lies that is is all a huge creaky conundrum they can not get out of.

Think about the possibilities....greeting some JWs at the door.

"Oh you are Jehovah's Witnesses. Yeah, you are the guys who created Sparlock the Warrior Wizard. That was brilliant!"

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Over on Yahoo Answers, the witnesses that post there don't know about the upcoming release and many are calling the video fake and made by Apostates to smear Jehovah's name.

They are in for a rude awakening when their District Convention hits.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

BOC, I wasn't aware of the My Little Pony ban... I know I loved the toys as a kid and can't wait to be able to share the new generation of MLP with my child. We were in the store the other day looking at all the new My Little Pony toys and I was aghast at how many of them I wasn't able to play with. I remember my mother saying "No, that one has wings...no, that one has a horn..." A unicorn, a pegasus, etc. Only a few of them were "normal" ponies. Even as a grown woman, I stood there looking at them and feeling so deprived! I couldn't play with a toy because it had PLASTIC WINGS or a PLASTIC HORN?? Come on!! What's worse is when I did get one that had a horn, my mother sliced it off.

NC, I love how this forum has latched onto Sparlock and made him the official Apostate Mascot. It's a reminder that, even though we are all in different places in our recovery, and we all have differing opinions on subjects such as god and science, we were all wounded by the same "entity". And when called upon, we unite in a way that as JW's we never would have...because as JW's, we never would have banded together despite our vast differences in opinion and belief. It's a thing of beauty!

Good on you for not completely jumping off the deep end and depriving your daughter of magic 100%. I know for me, I loved my Disney movies... And I was given a copy of Casper by another JW (her dad was worldly) and even though I watched it in the house a million times, for some reason my mom decided we needed to tear it up a year later. She made me stand there and pull the tape out of the plastic housing, tear it up, and then put it in a trash bag outside. My mom was (and is) completely fanatical about "demons" and what might attract them.

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's freakin awesome! I'm sure the WTBS did not have a clue the internet aftermath would be this explosive. I love it.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I think I would laugh my ever-lovin' ass off if the Society saw the internet explode with Sparlock and then halted the release of the DVD for all future DC's...calling it "Old Light" and telling the ones who have already received it to get rid of it. That's about ALL they can do now!! And boy would it make them look stupid! They've really caught themselves between a Sparlock and a hard place .

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Over on Yahoo Answers, the witnesses that post there don't know about the upcoming release and many are calling the video fake and made by Apostates to smear Jehovah's name.

This is just RICH---and may be just the thing to send a few of them over here when they get their brand new shiny DVD!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit