Lurker's first post

by sseveninches 75 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Hello,

Depending on your financial situation, don't rock the boat too much until you graduate because regardless how wonderful jw may be, you don't have a clue how they may react if they find out you're leaving the cult. I'm sure you can find enough experiences here how families disowned their own. May not be the case for you, but you really don't know.

When you decide to share anything with any of them, maybe get your parents a gift, I would suggest Russell's Studies in the Scriptures Vol 3 which is also called Thy Kingdom Come(pdf download link). It has all the fun stuff, the pyramid and how 1914 will be the end, how the pyramid points to 1874, the date of Christ's return and 1878, the date of his enthronement and him taking power in heaven. It explains how not only 1914 is based on 7 times based on 606, the year of fall of Babylon to Cyrus but also on the 40 years of harvest from 1874 and how all these signs make up a composite sign that 1914 will be the end. Oh ya, it also explains the start of last days - 1799. I strongly recommend that book for any witness to read, a great gift too :) After all, how many witnesses wouldn't want to read a classic Russell book.

As you do your research, read the apologetic jw explanations as to why the scandals shouldn't really shock you, and compare these with some the rebuttals to these. Personally, I never thought UN issue was as huge as it affected others but it does show wts hypocrisy. I thought their child abuse scandal of few years back was more shocking.

Good luck on your journey, and take your time and be careful how you go forth, as more you learn the more sick you'll get of the meetings and the propaganda you hear there.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Welcome 7.

Think About It

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to our nightmare, sseveninches.

I strongly advise not to spill the beans until you have your degree in psychiatry, LOL.

You found out because you went looking. That is what you need your family to do. If you hand it to them on a plate they'll throw it in your face.

Stick around and learn from our mistakes.

Cheers

Chris

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Seveninches.

I went through college, by day release, whilst serving as a Ministerial Servant, but I am in the UK and I the college think wasn't a biggie unless you went away and stayed at Uni.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your stay.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi 7, stick around this is an interesting site smiddy

• Vidqun
  • Vidqun
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

Sorry, a compatibility glitch. Here's the rest.

w95 9/1 16

Looking forward especially to our time, Jesus said: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14; Mark 13:10) Has this prophecy been fulfilled? Indeed, it has. From a small start in 1919, the preaching of the good news has now been extended to more than 230 countries. The witness is heard in the frozen North and in the steaming tropics. Large continents are covered, and remote islands are sought out so that their inhabitants can receive a witness.

Prophetic fulfillment: 1919 – 1990

Disgusting Thing Causing Desolation

NWT Matthew 24:15 Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,)

NWT

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Doing it in installments.

Disgusting Thing Causing Desolation

NWT Matthew 24:15 Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,)

NWT Mark 13:14a However, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation standing where it ought not (let the reader use discernment),

World Government (1977) go, chap. 9, p. 152, par. 9: “The “Sign” of Imminence of the World Government”

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

We have also observed the “placing of the disgusting thing that is causing desolation” in the ‘setting up’ of a man-made substitute for God’s Messianic kingdom, namely, the League of Nations, in 1919, and its successor, the United Nations, in 1945. (Matthew 24:4-15; Daniel 12:11)

w99 5/1 p. 17 par. 16 “Let the Reader Use Discernment”

Since the start of the great tribulation is yet future, is the “standing in a holy place” still ahead of us? Evidently so. While “the disgusting thing” made its appearance early in this century and has, thus, existed for decades, it will take a position in a unique way “in a holy place” in the near future.

Disgusting Thing Taking Up A Unique Position

When did “the disgusting thing causing desolation” take up a unique position?

To see this, one needs discernment. Not all will see it. On 8 October 2001 the UK-based newspaper The Guardian broke the story of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York enjoying associate member status of the UN’s Department of Information (DPI). Commenting on the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York having been a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) of the UN DPI, Paul Hoeffel, Chief of the NGO section of the Department of Information, reports: “This organization applied for association with DPI in 1991 and was granted association in 1992. By accepting association with DPI, t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit