Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hehe, so James is saying that non believers are superior and should behave as such???

• still thinking
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hehe, so James is saying that non believers are superior and should behave as such???

I don't know if he realized it was coming out that way, but the more he posted, the more perplexed I became. Did you read it all? If I were a believer, I think I may have been a bit offended----or amused----or pointed it out. It was crazy, and it just seemed to get worse.

The comparison was made to how we let children have fantasy friends, and don't show them the reality until they are ready. That they are emotional invested, so we shouldn't be so quick to try to reason that out. Well, that's all paraphrasing. You can read it for yourself. I was waiting for a believer to jump on and say 'HEY, we don't need THAT kind of support.' LOL But they didn't! Whatever.

I think in the end, people will just be more easily offended by those that disagree with them on the main issue, and tolerate a lot of offense from those they perceive to be on their side. But I gotta tell ya, as I was reading it, I was kind of glad that James never steps out to support ME. It's a double edged sword.

NC

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yep...glad your not on my "side" James...LOL

It's a funny comment because it comes from sitting on the fence with belief....can't condemn but cant agree...so out comes wibble...LOL

• mrsjones5
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

Beks, you have a pm.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't know if I've been blind for the last 3 years on this board, as Still said, you see things differently when your mind has been opened to different viewpoints.

But I've really had it driven home to me the double standards for believers:

They do not hold themselves to the same rules of debate. In fact, they set the rules and then don't have to abide by them.

They have special persmission to be offensive, but non-believers must watch their P's and Q's.

Excuse behaviour in fellow believers that they wouldn't tolerate in a non-believer.

I really have to say, what I've seen the last couple months on this board has been life-changing for me.

New Chapter, I know you've been accused of being arrogant and pushy, but I don't see that at all. You've been nothing but fair, reasonable and logical. Snarky, sometimes, yes......but we all are sometimes and I dont' believe it needs to be called out every time it happens.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What I was trying to say up there is I noticed that too NC.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The best way, on this forum, to insult or invalidate a poster, is to claim they are still captive to the WT in some way.

No one is saying that you are captive or that you have nothing valid to say. You just are so newly out that you approach this kind of subject as most of us did as JW's. We all have to fight that, even years later. You approach this subject in particular, witness fashion. It's a style of communication that you haven't shed. This is not meant to insult you. It's more of an invitation to look at your approach and decide if it's ever going to accomplish what you wish it to. I don't have a problem with your atheism. I do have a problem with this kind of approach to discussing it with especially believers. I generally find you intelligent and enjoyable to read otherwise.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Also, I apologize for my hubby's comments on the other thread. He had been reading some lately here and still is quite furious.

He's been told he needs to create an account for himself if he wants to comment further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit