Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LoL, that's tragically funny FHN.

• N.drew
    N.drew

And they won't listen to reason even if it would kill them. Metaphorically.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    LoL, that's tragically funny FHN.

Lol. I know, but it's true, no?

• N.drew
    N.drew

The WT approach:

I am right. You are wrong. You are not only wrong, but you are stupid. Not only do I think you are wrong, I believe your beliefs are dangerous, inaccurate and should be eradicated. I also believe it doesn't matter how I speak to you, because I am right and you are wrong.

Permission to post this outside of JWN? Please?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

There is a pattern among posters here to use whatever subject is raised to take offence and then work out personal frustrations and unresolved issues. Issues are resolved through patient, skilful and genuine concern for the well being of others. The other alternative is to go into battle.

As this is a website and we can’t actually kill our opponents, a more diplomatic approach is likely to ultimately be more satisfying for all concerned.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Permission given.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Lol. I know, but it's true, no?"

Yep, that's the tragic part.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't recall calling anyone stupid. On the contrary, I have stated a number of times that intelligence has nothing to do with belief. I have argued against ideas, and all ideas are not equal to me. Creationism does not inhabit the same shelf as Evolution. They are not two sides of the same coin, therefore, I do not treat creationism as having any scientific value whatsoever. Someone that holds creation dear, may find this approach offensive, and from the tone of this thread, I guess that means I should change my approach and coddle the creationists.

"It's okay. All evidence is against you, but don't let that worry you. Your way of viewing things, in the face of all known facts, is just as valid as the way I view them. I know that I incorporate facts into the mix, but your way of incorporating belief is just as valid as my way of incorporating evidence. It is just as valid to make up things in the void of the unknown as it is to say, 'I don't know'. Since what you have made up is just as valid as an honest 'I don't know', I should just bow out of the conversation now so that I don't give you the impression that we don't all get trophies for participation."

NC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Think of it this way: belief is not based on facts or logic, it's based on emotions. Kinda hard to fight emotions.

Hey, I posted an article about the a few days ago. I get the feeling no one read it. Oh well, their lost.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/denial-science-chris-mooney

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Mrs. J,

It's Cofty's law---counterpart to Godwin's law. The best way, on this forum, to insult or invalidate a poster, is to claim they are still captive to the WT in some way. It's a huge temptation, that I do try to fight. It is a type of arrogance, basically reducing the poster to a cult member. We disregard and roll our eyes at JW ways, so accusing someone of being like a JW in some way is the same as rolling your eyes at them. It offers plausible deniability, and the person can continue to hide behind civility---but it's fightin' words! LOL

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit