Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

You seem to want to put personal evidence, anecdotal evidence, scientific evidence, circumstantial evidence and testimonial evidence on a par with each other. Would that be a fair observation?

• Twitch
    Twitch

check

• tec
    tec

I am not saying anything about 'on par'. Just stating that they are also forms of evidence. Not proof.

If testimonial evidence was on par with a scientific proof, then we would believe all forms of testimony. Testimonial evidence tends to need to be backed with other forms of evidence. Same with circumstantial evidence. Or anecdotal/hypothetical evidence. Or personal evidence.

Peace,

tammy

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place. Scientists weigh the evidence for and against a hypothesis.

A broken window could as easily be evidence of a misguided baseball.

2. Something indicative; an outward sign: evidence of grief on a mourner's face.

Maybe it's just gas?

• cofty
    cofty

The only thing that can really be called proof is in the field of mathematics so lets just settle for evidence shall we?

Science isn't some sort of special dark art known only to people in lab coats. Its nothing more than the rigorous application of methods that help us separate out objective facts from subjective experience or anecdotes or circumstantial evidence etc.

• tec
    tec

Beks makes my point, I think.

A broken window is evidence only of a broken window... not the cause of the broken window; not without further evidence to come to a conclusion. It is still evidence though. Just not proof; not on its own.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    ME: I never questioned the existence of a god. Because I lived my life with that unprovable premise, I too was vulnerable to any interpretation of that god. Because again, god is nothing but interpretation. It first started disrupting my life with the hellfire teaching. Well if I didn't have the critical thinking skill and confidence to debunk the whole god theory, I certainly did not have the skill to debunk hellfire. Along came JW's and showed me there was no hellfire. What a relief. I needed others to tell me, because I had never taken it on myself to prove things to me. I lacked confidence.

Telling my pain with your fingers...good grief, and here I thought I was the only one...LOL (not funny)

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Still Thinking, did you get something done with your hair? You look different. Was that always your avatar?

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL...thanks, I do look lovely today don't I. But no, nothing special. It may be Cthulu's influence on me...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmmm---LOL---for some reason it suddenly looks different to me. I gotta start drinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit