Does Obama's Gay "Evolution" Affect Your Opinion Of Him In Any Way?

by minimus 64 Replies latest members politics

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So sick of hearing about gays and gay marriages and their precious goddam gay rights.

LOL--I know, having to listen to this is such a drag. So much harder than having to live every single day as a second class citizen having your civil rights debated and put up for popular vote. So much harder than having to convince people that you count too, and that they shouldn't have to prove that to be full partakers in freedom. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING by inconveniencing you so?

NC

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Maybe he will change DOMA..

He already change DOMA.

• Dagney
    Dagney

No it doesn't. I think personally he has contemporary ideals, and anything said in a political campaign is deliberately planned...why not?

What I'm having a hard time is criticism of anybody "changing" their mind on issues as years roll on. Who doesn't? People on JWN once believed the WTBS held the secrets of the past and the future, or believed in god and talking snakes but changed their minds. ALL politicians have things in their past they would rather not be reminded of, all have made ridiculous comment. What matters is today and now. What is the plan to lead this country into the next phase?

• Dagney
    Dagney

No it doesn't. I think personally he has contemporary ideals, and anything said in a political campaign is deliberately planned...why not?

What I'm having a hard time is criticism of anybody "changing" their mind on issues as years roll on. Who doesn't? People on JWN once believed the WTBS held the secrets of the past and the future, or believed in god and talking snakes but changed their minds. ALL politicians have things in their past they would rather not be reminded of, all have made ridiculous comment. What matters is today and now. What is the plan to lead this country into the next phase?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

He already change DOMA.

----------

I know he said he wouldn't defend it but I didn't think it had been settled and repealed. sammies

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

But it's definitely been "changed" and changed in the direction you were looking for. So "maybe he will change DOMA ..that might be proof of this evolution " is not a valid statement, because A) he has, and B) it's up to congress to reverse it.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Six

I can't find a reference to a change in DOMA. I know he's opposing it in court, but I can't find a change in the law. Do you have a reference?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

My understanding is Jeff that it hasn't been changed. I thought it had to go through the courts and votes and all that good stuff but if Six can find a reference where that happened then that would be great.

It is one thing saying you won't defend something but another to actually demand or force change. I do know he said he won't defend it on a personal level but if DOMA is legally binding and defined as man and woman, then isn't that what the law has to follow until such time as it is repealed through the courts? Apparently he said he wouldn't support it quite a while back but nothing is really changed legally unless that change takes place through the system. sammies

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Since you ask us, Minimus, I'll say that I have great esteem for Obama, and Michele, and that makes me feel all the more disappointed that he has given in to the dominant trend of the day.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sammie, that's my understanding. DOMA is the law of the land until either the courts overturn it or Congress repeals it. And until one of those things happens it is the law, which the President took an oath to uphold.

As I've said, I don't think the government should be involved at all, and certainly I don't think federal government has any Constitutional authority to regulate marriage in any way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit