Does Obama's Gay "Evolution" Affect Your Opinion Of Him In Any Way?

by minimus 64 Replies latest members politics

• minimus
    minimus

I'd like your thoughts.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

No, I feel pretty strong that he has had those thoughts all along.

I'm just surprised that he came out as open as he did in an election year. I can't see much good that does for him in swing states in what will likely be a close election.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

To some he's a political opportunist.

Either Biden's dumb or he purposely expressed his opinions.

• designs
    designs

Gee you think this was planned

Good for getting the subject out in the open before Nov., same with showing the differences between the two parties on health care and women's reproductive rights.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

A person can hold private beliefs, but work for public equality.

I, for instance, really don't like religion. It's no loss to me if all churches cease to exist. However I won't support any measure to make this happen through law or politics.

So it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter to me what Obama's personal views are on the issue---if they evolved---if he always held them---or even if his public support is contrary to his private beliefs. He has come out on the side of equality, choosing either not to enforce his personal view on others, or simply to bring policy in line with what he knows is right and just.

LGBT citizens will not find support with another candidate.

Who said: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."?

I'm not sure. But it is possible for people to fight for rights for people other than themselves.

So I don't care. My opinion has only improved, and I think he did the brave and correct thing--whatever the motivation.

NC

• minimus
    minimus

I think he did a politically risky thing because many people do not approve of gay marriage or gay life.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Do I really think he supports it? NO. I don't. It's a great political move though. I'd like to see Romney try to match it without losing his support base

• designs
    designs

wh- can you imagine the Romney Think Tank trying to position themselves on this with the GOP so far into the Evangelical base.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well he would lose Utah, lol. Unfortunately, the Log Cabin Republicans have been kicked to the curb, by their own party, again

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I understand his 'evolution' on this issue completely, because I've had the same experience only I was quite fervently against gay marriage in the beginning. This is borne out in the discussions here at JWN of 4 - 5 years ago. I was not anti-gay, just couldn't see the point of gay marriage when civil unions were an option. I also felt that marriage and its legal benefits were established for practical and gender-related reasons. I even voted against gay marriage it when Prop. 8 was on the ballot.

HOWEVER, I now feel differently for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. Plus which, gay marriage is inevitable anyway. Those against it will be on the wrong side of history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit