Does Obama's Gay "Evolution" Affect Your Opinion Of Him In Any Way?

by minimus 64 Replies latest members politics

• sd-7
    sd-7

The President is supposed to uphold the people's Constitutional rights. If all humans are to be considered persons deserving of equal treatment under the law, then supporting the right for a man to marry another man or a woman to marry another woman is the least one should expect of the President of the United States. The rules of religion should have nothing to do with the government and the law.

Though this is a positive step in the constant fight for universal equality, I don't think I particularly trust politicians. There's always something else behind every decision. Few if any say things out of the kindness of their hearts. This may be honorable on its face, but to be honest, this could be the thing that loses the election for him in the contentious red states. Especially if he starts talking a Constitutional amendment or something.

But my opinion? No, not at all. He's fine with me. Long as he doesn't like, declare himself emperor or something. But then, that's kind of what I'm hoping for any President, so...

--sd-7

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"gay marriage is inevitable anyway. Those against it will be on the wrong sie of history."

That's the story of conservatives and the right all over.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The President is supposed to uphold the people's Constitutional rights.

Yep and that's the angle of it all. How do u explain that a citizen cannot be married if the only restraint/argument is a religious view. Separation of church and state?

• designs
    designs

Romney faces censorship from his religion and disfavor from his evangelical political base if he doesn't toe the line.

• mindseye
    mindseye

design wrote: Romney faces censorship from his religion and disfavor from his evangelical political base if he doesn't toe the line.

Yep, and that is probably part of Obama's strategy. Romney could neutralize this whole thing and turn attention back to the economy if he just said "No big deal, Gay marriage is cool with me too." But he won't, because his base would be up in arms.

The Repubs dug their own grave with this one.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Oh, and on the opening question, it affected my opinion of him in a positive way. I'm actually motivated to vote for Obama rather than just pulling the lever cause Romney sucks so bad. By taking a stance, Obama is embodying the transformative candidate he ran as in the first place.

Make no mistake, I have no illusions of why he did it. He had political motivations, of course, but it was still a gutsy move. It's largely symbolic, but it does make a big difference that a sitting president endorsed gay marriage. It pushes the debate to the next level.

• moshe
    moshe

Obama is an opportunistic cameleon- like most politicians.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    To some he's a political opportunist.

No!! Not a political opportunist!?? So few of them around........... And I suppose you are voting for Mitt, aren't you Minimus? The most blatant opportunist alive.

• JeffT
    JeffT

A gay (and conservative on many issues) friend asked two interesting questions:

Why didn't Obama say this before the vote in NC?

The President claims to oppose DOMA (his Justice department is arguing against it in an appeals court). Why, when he had a majority in both houses of Congress did he not have it repealed?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Whilst deferring to the more politically informed, I do believe he is a progressive liberal at heart and I greatly respect him for expressing such views publicly against the real risk of a conservative backlash and attacks on his person, character and integrity. Being ignorant of (Amercian) politics and somewhat indifferent and non-partisan too, I speak from a human social justice perspective rather than a political perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_american_progress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit