Does Obama's Gay "Evolution" Affect Your Opinion Of Him In Any Way?

by minimus 64 Replies latest members politics

• designs
    designs

JeffT-

Do you think the government had a constitutional right to enact the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

My understanding is Jeff that it hasn't been changed.

I thought it had to go through the courts and votes and all that good stuff but if Six can find a reference where that happened then that would be great.

Oh look at you playing with words. Six doesn't need to provide you with anything, since you've already made clear you understand the "change" I was speaking of.

The law is not "changed" ie: repealed. But then, I didn't claim it was, as you well know. What you do know, is that wrt DOMA, Mr. Obama has "changed" the governments' stance on the law. His administration will not defend it. So when you say "maybe he will change DOMA..that might be proof of this evolution", it's not a valid statement it's a bullshit statement because he has indeed provided "proof of his evolution" insofar as a change to DOMA is such proof. And yeah, it's indeed evidence of "evolution" in that it was an incremental step towards endorsing gay marriage.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Absolutely.

Re-read my comments carefully. I think DOMA is unconstitutional. What I would like to see is federal recognition of marriage and civil unions and leave it to the states to decide what those things are, although preferablly it would be civil unions, a secular function of government. "Marriage" is a religious function best left to the churchs and without legal force.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The law is not "changed" ie: repealed. But then, I didn't claim it was, as you well know.

Um, I don't know that. You said it is changed. If a law is changed, there is something different about it. What is different about DOMA now than when it was passed? If it is still on the books the President can't just ignore it.

• Glander
    Glander

To the topic question - Absolutley not.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

He has more guts even than I already knew he had.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Um, I don't know that. You said it is changed. If a law is changed, there is something different about it. What is different about DOMA now than when it was passed? If it is still on the books the President can't just ignore it.

good fucking god I was clear and have further made clear what I was talking about when I used the word "change". I used the word accurately even if you now wish to try to argue that I had to use it in the specific way that would mean "this law has been repealed". Of course Obama couldn't "repeal" it if he wanted, now could he? What he can do is what he did which brought about change. Change to DOMA in the way it affects Americans. Is it complete and total change? Who gives a fuck when what we are arguing about is the use of the word "change". Sort of like how he could now effectively make huge changes (but not repeal) to the current state of marijuana prohibition law w/o actually enacting legislation if he really wanted to. Since, you know, he's the president and presidents don't enact legislation and all. That is a fact you'll just have to deal with as you go forward in your evil but brilliant-in-it's-success attempt to rob me of precious minutes.

Now stop wasting my time with your low IQ half-assed innefectual brand of gotcha-ism.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Sammie, that's my understanding. DOMA is the law of the land until either the courts overturn it or Congress repeals it. And until one of those things happens it is the law, which the President took an oath to uphold.

I have to disagree with you here, Jeff. A President takes an oath to uphold the Constitution. If you were President, would you fight to defend a law in court that you honestly believed to be unConstitutional?

Incidentally, it looks like you caught Six with his pants down and now he's spinning like a top.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I think his wife and daughters had a big influence on his change of opinion on Gay marriage..I also think women have always played a big role in his life regarding his decisions..

Snoozy..

• JeffT
    JeffT

Six your post number 16112 says "He already change DOMA." Maybe if you could write a complete sentence in standard English we'd know what you are trying to say. I did not say he repealed it. I asked what changed. By the way, since you seem incapable of noticing, I'm on your side of this issue.

BTS, you're correct. I could have sworn the oath included a phrase about enforcing the laws. I just checked and I'm wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit