Introduction / My story

by theBGB 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• theBGB
    theBGB

Hello all, I've just discovered this site and I cant begin to describe how happy I am to have come across it. I stumbled across this site purely by accident...seriously I was looking at Arkham City walkthoughs and a few jumps later I end up here. I though it was a legit society page at first and thought 'what the hell, this will be good for a laugh', but after reading a few posts well...I couldnt stop reading. I've never, not once in my life been able to talk to anybody whose had the same experiences as me growing up in a JW home. Now THAT's providence if there ever was such a thing. I'd like to share my story, so sit back and get cozy this may take a while...I'm an English lit major so I tend to be thourough.

I'll start off by saying I am one of the lucky few who were able to easily (and without ANY doubts or regrets) distance myself from this cult.

I was a born-in, my mother's family are all life-long devouts (I think my grandmother was born in and my gfather converted but not certain about that) and my father was converted in his late teens, none of the rest of his family were which I guess is why we hardly ever visited any of them growing up. I'm proud to say that I realized at a very early age that that this 'religion' is complete b.s. and that I would never willingly choose to get baptised. I always had a problem with the ideas they present...I was only 6 or 7 when my family had a friend who was, purportedly, an annointed one. I remember asking my parents how can we tell if someone is annointed? The general answer was something like 'those who are just have a feeling at some point and then they just know.' I wanted to know what the 'feeling' felt like and they said that only the annointed will ever know, and that the annointed will be the only ones to ever experience it. Even at such a young age this sounded sketchy...the highest possible reward to this lifestyle is handed out based on an indescribable 'feeling'? The same Woman (I prefer not to call them 'brothers and sisters') had custody and was raising her grandchild (her daughter was never talked about...now i suspect she was a junkie) and this kid...was the most vindictive, crazy-ass, spoiled brat, pathetic excuse for a human being I ever remember meeting, he was just a bad, bad person well before even puberty. He actually tried to get me to perform oral sex on him during a sleepover one time, he was a few years older then me at the time probably about 10...nothing against gays but any kid being sexualy agressive that young is crazy.

I guess Crazy breeds Crazy.

Obviously, that's always stuck with me. A few years later and i began to develop cognitave and dedutive reasoning on my own (much to my parents' chrgrin), I began to realise the absurdity of the whole 'prize at the end of the tunnel' scheme: So we have to deny ourselves practically every pleasure on earth live a sh**y depressing joyless life wasting the entirety of it sitting for hours multiple times a week, every week, listening to old guys preach (but dont call it preaching) to either obey them or die! Those who do obey them, TO THE F*ING LETTER, will either be resurected, or live to see litterally every other person whose ever lived resurected -EXCEPT- anyone who'se heard their shpeel and turned it down ...those unlucky fools will either remain dead -or- be hunted down by four scary-ass horse-riding psycho angles of death (you remember the pictures of the 4 horsemen in thier lit, often including terrified people running and crying and dieing...). Honestly it was the whole "everyone who has died before this religion was invented gets a free-pass" resurection clause that really got to me as being just absolutely, irrefeutably, absurd. Hell...even if this crap DID happen (lol) I didn't want to obey any 'god' that would kill millions of people deemed evil because they didnt believe thise outlandish b.s. while simultaneouly giving a free-pass to every child-molester, mass murderer evil piece of excrement to have lived before the year 18wtvr (I had a pretty evolved sense of principal for a 10 yr old). And besides...I'd much rather live a guaranteed enjoyable (at least at times) life -this one...right now...that I can scientifically prove I exist in- than live forever...*FOREVER* under rules that wouldn't even allow me to pleasure my wife in bed (though of course that wasn't an issue I was aware of at the time). The term and sense of 'forever' always bothered me from as far back as I can remember; how can god have lived -forever- and then all of a sudden create the universe and then time started....then when we get resurected we'll live -forever-??? And for as long as I can remember the excuse in response to that being: "Human minds are not capable of understanding gods blahblahblah" has just made me mad...seriously you're trying to tell ME what -I- can or can not understand? I dont't think so buddy. I understood...they were either lying or they were to stupid to realize they were lying. I apologize for insinuating anyone on this forum is or was stupid, but if you were a JW and have realized the falshood of 'the truth' then I'm sure you've called yourself much worse.

Around the age of 12 I was fully aware that this was all b.s. I would absolutely never agree to be baptised. The few times my parents tried to make actually speak while in service all went horribly, even from the earliest attempts, so thankfully they never had any expectation of me to actually speak in service so I never had to feel like i was flat-out lying to people trying to convince them to join this 'religion' that has made my life completely joyless. My horrible home life (more on that later) led to my mother finally working up the courage to leave my father when I was almost 15. My mother is by far the strongest person I know, knowing full well she'd be DF'd she refused to remain miserable for the rest of her life and stay married to an asshole who constantly acted like he full-on resented us. The aftermath of that is well-known to most on this forum, almost every friends she'd ever had treated her like she was dead to them...even her own family stopped talking to her. Her own mother and father and all 7 of her flesh and blood brothers and sisters wouldn't even talk to her. Her family...MY family treated my mom like a piece of crap because she didnt want to be miserable any more. My mother is one of the nicest, most loving people I've ever had the pleasure of being in my life. This was the last straw, I could never associate myself with anything that would ecourage an entire family to just drop one of their members. My mom knew that I could look after my self by that point and my sister who is a few years older was almost finished school, and considering she pretty much had to pack a suitcase and leave my sis and I remained with our dad. In the next year, by the time I was 16, it got to the point where I had used so many excuses to not go to meetings or in service (I had those tuesday-thursday-sunday migranes) that my dad began to actually ASK me if I was coming to the meeting or not. The first time this happen was incredibly surreal, I thought for sure it was some kind of trick, I answered "Uh....no?" I was sure that was going to storm up the stairs and push me around untill i subdued... but he actually just left and left me alone. After that I think i agreed to go once or twice in the next few weeks, the elders and others made it a point to come over to me and say how much they've missed me and are glad to see me. All I could think was "If my mom was here you'd be restraining yourself from spitting in her face." And that was that, I never stepped foot in a KH again and never will. I've also never talked to any of my relatives who shund my mother unless I absolutely had to.

Now I'm 28, working my way through a double major in English Lit and Forest Conservation at the University of Toronto. I am thankful everyday that I was special enough to never fall for the lies of the 'truth' epecially as a born-in. I plan to share a lot more of my life here in the future and if anybody's actually read through this to the end then I can truly say without any hesitation or hyperbole, that I love you. More than any JW has loved another JW just for being a JW.

p.s. I'm not to shy and have no shame in any of my family finding out I have nothing but contempt for this organization. As I go on it wont be hard to figure out who my family is if you know them...and if one of my relatives on my moms side sees this, then go **** yourself you blackhearted piece of ****, chances are you'd never talk to me of you free will anyway. If my sister or father sees this (I wouldn't be suprised if he was one of the spooks assigned to monitor the apostate websites lol) im sorry if this truth hurts you, but it's coming out.

Till next time,

=) peace and love!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Welcome, and well done for seeing the BS so young.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Hi BGB!

Welcome to the forum!

And It's the first time I've been at the head of the welcoming queue, so that makes a first for both of us!

Yes, I've read right through all you've posted, every word.

Let me start out by saying that unlike many, probably most on here I am not a born-in JW. I got drawn in and became a very nearly, almost baptised JW, was a diligent unbaptised publisher, though I knew that I didn't buy all the beliefs. Anyway, I am fortunate in that I had a very traumatic JW experience just a matter of days before I was due to be baptised and I backed right away and haven't been back in a KH since. Nor will I ever go there again.

Your story truly made compulsive reading. You describe so well the problems of living in what sounds like a fanatical but they would probably say faithful or dutiful JW household, and your early awakening reasoning abilities. You saw clearly that it was nonsense, whereas I, equally critical in all my thinking, somehow got blinded by the nonsense.

You asked all the questions I had right from the start about the anointed. As I read, I had the thought, well, why doesn't everyone just decide they're anointed? Then everyone can go off to Heaven. Though, with what they're going to be doing there, condemned for eternity to sit on a throne ruling everyone else and no time off for good behaviour...no, that eternal boredom would never do for most sane people. Though I know some power-struck elders who'd undoubtedly relish it.

Your account of the 10-year old experience with the son of the anointed woman sounds to me as if somewhere in his life he'd experienced sexual abuse. That's not normal behaviour for a child.

I so loved your account of your mother's honesty and bravery. Even with my limited experience I know families who are shunning their DF'd ones, and justifying it by saying they do it out of love. Twisted.

Congratulations on your own frankness here, and again, welcome! Probably by the time I've posted this I'll find I'm not first in line after all!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome theBGB!

The inside true story, the one the elders do their damndest to twist, hide, misrepresent and obfuscate just ain't pretty.

Good on you for seeing through it so young and never getting baptised!

Greetings to your mum and let her know we congratulate her for a brave and difficult stand back then.

I hope you enjoy your stay and conversations while making many new friends.

We are a very mixed bag here so you should easily find common ground with quite a few. Those who agree to disagree, without hitting each other on the head, get much more out of this site methinks...

Best wishes.

Fernando

Queensland, Australia

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Wow, we have pretty similar stories.

Nice to meet ya!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story!

• moshe
    moshe
    I'm not to shy and have no shame in any of my family finding out I have nothing but contempt for this organization.

Hooray- someone with a backbone. Liked your story!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for sharing your story. No matter the point we figure out the problem, its good to be free of the mind-screwing.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome theBGB to JWN. Life will only get better for you after what you have been through.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• clarity
    clarity

Wow, BGB loved your book introduction

Wonderfully written .... full of guts!

You love us huh? Well that goes both ways kiddo......

you're so ........ hmm, well........ brazen(tm) .... and I love you for it!!!

Welcome here..........can't wait till you tell us more!

You may want to see 212 of your contemporarys (aka newbies) on this thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/224622/1/Look-at-all-the-people

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit